At what point should I get diver insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex_can_dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I’m pretty new to diving and the max we’ve gone is around 50ft. (But on average, we do 30ft - 40ft)

should I get diver insurance yet? It seems the most likely accident I could get right now is drowning, which is treatable in most hospitals?

Really though, it's relatively cheap and you are covered for almost anything that will happen while underwater. Ear infection due to diving, covered. Come up from 15', forget to keep you airway open and end up with an AGE, covered. In my opinion, it's a no brainer. A lot of things can go wrong underwater and paying less then $200 a YEAR to be covered if something goes wrong provides a huge piece of mind for me.

It's unlikely you'll end up needing it. But if something does happen, it'll be very bad not to have it, especially if it happens while you're traveling. Take a look at the plans available in your area. For me, it's so cheap it seems silly not to have it.

I seem to remember an instructor told me DAN is $100/year or something like that, depending on what level you get. Speaking of which, I've been meaning to look into it.

Dive Insurance - Divers Alert Network

edit: Speaking of which, a couple additional questions:
  • Does anyone here have accident-experience using DAN? Alternatively, do you know someone first-hand, who has had had an incident-experience with them.
  • Does anyone secure the DAN info to their BCD in case of an accident? If yes, where/how do you usually secure it?
edit2: It looks like there is a $40 annual membership fee, which isn't listed on the pricing page. Even still, it appears to be about $80/year, to $155/year depending on coverage amount.

edit3: I just signed up. I had been meaning to do that for about the last 2 months, had forgotten. This thread was a good reminder.

Drowning is not a treatable condition in a hospital...
The main reason for getting the insurance is in case you ever need access to a hyperbaric chamber or if you need to get picked up by a helicopter.. If you're uninsured you might as well just sell your house straight away.

For 80/year it's just worth it imo

It depends how good your primary insurance is. I no longer have Dan. My primary is good and travel insurance policies can be way more comprehensive. Bottom line, review your current coverage. If you do not have health insurance it would probably be a good idea.

^^^ this ^^^

many of us are over insured. meaning we have coverage from multiple sources for the same things. if there is any question about what is covered in your current policies (credit card coverage for example) make sure you get clarification in writing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom