Assistance with Halloween Lake Monster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this so here it goes. As a contestant in a Halloween video contest I am attempting to make a lake monster and film reactions of bystanders (somewhat a devious trick but it is in the Halloween spirit). I could use some advice on the engineering. I have created the head and body of corrugated irrigation tubing and will be sinking the monster by attaching it to a cement block and scuba diving down to the bottom (only 15') to place it in waiting for the big moment. I have placed empty soda bottles to provide lift inside. Sort of like a big dive flag. I'm thinking I could act as a fisherman later and have the fishing line lead to the shore and trigger the surfacing of the monster somehow. What I am having trouble with is what hardware on the bottom could be used to allow me to unlatch the monster and then when done, will allow me to reel the monster back down and become latched again. Any ideas for this monster? Thank you.

Attachments

• MONSTER.jpg
    MONSTER.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 56
Would not a pulley system work? The monster is bouyant and pops up except when you pull it down with a wire or cable or rope. A trip to the marine store and take a look at sailing hardware for some hardware?

A pulley is a good but it would have to be one that would release after some type of initial tug and then when finished could be pulled back down and then locked again. Is there such a pulley mechanism? I will go to a sailing store and check.

A pulley is a good but it would have to be one that would release after some type of initial tug and then when finished could be pulled back down and then locked again. Is there such a pulley mechanism? I will go to a sailing store and check.

Yes, they're called jam cleats or cam cleats. RL 261-S Cam Cleat with Strap You can also spend more and get one with a pulley.

Doubtful that they would serve your needs. You need to change the angle of the bitter end too radically to activate release- all but impossible from beyond 6' away.

How would I do it?

I'd run my 75' of regulator hose (I used to crew on very large sailboats) and when the time came, open the valve and fill the corrugated hose that you have with air. It would be a hissing, spitting monster.

Failing that, tie a string to a diver's leg and when you tug it, he'll open the valve on a tank underneath the base of the tube. Same net effect. The "boiling water" would look cool.

A simple gate latch may work to hold and release the monster.
You know! The kind that has the string to lift the latch and the post that gets hooked.
Auto%20Gate%20Latch%20Galvanised_f.jpg

If the monster gets pulled back down by the line through the pully, the latch will grab it untill you pull the release line.

rotanman mentions using air to raise and lower the monters. What about using a standard air compressor hose hooked inside the monters? You can get those in really long runs. Have it rigged so that when you turn on the air, it fills up quicker than it releases so that it will surface and when the air is shut off it will sink back down. You would have to dive to anchor the hose to the bottom and leave some slack near the monster. With an adaptor you could use a scuba tank or use a standard compressor.

I would put some glow sticks in the eyes. And if you can get some stink spray so that as the bubbling monster surfaces you can spray some foul smelling stuff for monster bad breath.

I hope you are able to pull it off. If you do, you must post video to share with us!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom