A Fisherman Nearly Kills Two Divers with One Hook!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it reminds me of this video, situational awareness is nonstop

we've got to watch out for anchors, fishing hooks, and pissy bass 😅
Not sure why but I couldn't stop staring at the octo hanging free... good catch on his part though.

I have a computer on each forearm with a line cutter on the strap of each one. Easily accessible.

You would be suprised to know how hard to access them is when one of your hands is entangled.
Now I carry one on my wrist, one on my inflator hose and one on my belt.

You’re welcome. If I’m diving the Great Lakes, where there can be fishing line on the wrecks, I add a pair of shears on my belt. Those will cut metal fishing line leader.
Totally agree with Marie that good EMT Shears are a must... Here in the PAC NW, derelict stainless steel downrigger line is always a concern and a nice pair of titanium shears will cut through it... I do find that the shears can rust out fairly easily so I now keep a pair in a BC pocket that have the pivot point sprayed down with little WD and then vacuum sealed so they stay in good shape..

Dvf0IcW.jpg

it reminds me of this video, situational awareness is nonstop

we've got to watch out for anchors, fishing hooks, and pissy bass 😅
I'm going to show that to all my open water students in the future.

I’m knew Wookie would beat me to it. The Spiegel is outside the sanctuary. Fishing is allowed. Be safe. Carry a line cutter.

Keep in mind that the fisherman purchase licenses which support the resource, including artificial reef programs. Might be time for some sort of dive permit to provide support to reef preservation

The dive area is buoyed off so boats don’t have to anchor. There are no restrictions on fishing the wreck, I’m a little surprised your DM didn’t know that. Those wrecks were placed with funds from state fishing licenses, not state diving licenses, although there used to be some kind of token or badge or other diver bling you could buy.

There are no restrictions to fishing any Keys wreck except those in the national parks or Sanctuary Preservation Areas.
Interesting that you mention the SG tokens. The latest DAN magazine has an article by Stephen Frink about the timeline of the acquisition and sinking of the Spiegel, and he talks briefly about the tokens.

Totally agree with Marie that good EMT Shears are a must... Here in the PAC NW, derelict stainless steel downrigger line is always a concern and a nice pair of titanium shears will cut through it... I do find that the shears can rust out fairly easily so I now keep a pair in a BC pocket that have the pivot point sprayed down with little WD and then vacuum sealed so they stay in good shape..
How do you cut it out of the packaging?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom