A Fisherman Nearly Kills Two Divers with One Hook!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Totally agree with Marie that good EMT Shears are a must... Here in the PAC NW, derelict stainless steel downrigger line is always a concern and a nice pair of titanium shears will cut through it... I do find that the shears can rust out fairly easily so I now keep a pair in a BC pocket that have the pivot point sprayed down with little WD and then vacuum sealed so they stay in good shape..

Dvf0IcW.jpg
I use ss pruning shears...

I got hooked and hauled to the surface at blue heron bridge once. Luckily, the hook (one of those large 3-way affairs) caught my wing which has the Dive Rite superfabric shell, and it wasn't damaged. I couldn't figure out why I was rocketing to the surface until I got there and then noticed I was hooked. Luckily, no harm done in the end.

I later learned that it's a common problem at that particular dive site, and that the cops don't really do anything about it as the perps usually flee before the cops can get to them.

I carry a sharpcut line cutter as I got tired of replacing the trilobite when it rusted up and trauma shears, which for some reason are far more corrosion resistant than the trilobite blades.

@kyle191 don't beat yourself up too much about the mistakes. You may very well have saved that other diver's life!

How do you cut it out of the packaging?
Just hold the bag and push on the shears and they'll rip right out of the vacuum seal bag. I'm typically solo (or end up solo once separated from hunting buddies) so I also carry 3 knives in addition to the shears. One large pointed tip on my inside left calf, one small that mounts right onto the outside my left BC pocket and another small sheathed titanium in my right BC pocket..

The dive area is buoyed off at the surface to keep fisherman out of the diving zone. In reality...the area isn't nearly big enough......as you will soon see.

Those buoys are mooring lines, not a protected area. They need to exercise care in the area, but they aren't prohibited.

My mistakes were:
1) Reacted instead of thinking.
2) I didn't carry a knife or line cutter. This would have been just a funny story if I had either
3) The diver I helped had a knife..but he was too panicked to get it. I too didn't even think to see if he had a cutting instrument on him
1. Hindsight is often 20/20. That said, it's important to learn from mistakes and risks.
2. These days, I always carry 2x line-cutters and position them where I can easily find/use them "blind." Knives I usually avoid due to size and risk of stabbing yourself.
3. After a minor dive-incident I had (below), I now regularly practice being able to retrieve all equipment "blind." For example, my spare regulator and cutting devices are positioned on my BCD harness, precisely where my opposite hand naturally reaches across my chest.

Why would they ban knives for diving?
As a side-note, I prefer tools like these over knives:

Specifically, knives are a pain to sheathe, and there's increased risk of stabbing yourself.

That is a great idea!!! In case one hand is immobilized, there is access to an additional line cutter. Additional line cutter on order!!Thanks for the great tip
I also strongly recommend 2x cutting devices. If one is lost, or an arm is tangled, ideally position them where you can easily reach "bindly" by feel and instinct. Mine are on my harness, on my chest.

Point your thumbs up, and them point your thumb to your chest. It should be about between your pecs and shoulder. I've found this to be an ideal position for important equipment; you can reach it from either hand and it's very consistent. This is the precise place where my extra regulator is (right-chest) and cutting devices (both sides).

The suggestion of mounting on wrist-computer(s) is also a good one.

Totally agree with Marie that good EMT Shears are a must... Here in the PAC NW, derelict stainless steel downrigger line is always a concern and a nice pair of titanium shears will cut through it... I do find that the shears can rust out fairly easily so I now keep a pair in a BC pocket that have the pivot point sprayed down with little WD and then vacuum sealed so they stay in good shape..
I didn't realize the titanium shears can cut those stainless steel fishing wires. I've been wanting something that can cut them, without breaking the bank. I have a few similar shears laying around, I'll have to test if they can do the job or not.

1. Hindsight is often 20/20. That said, it's important to learn from mistakes and risks.
2. These days, I always carry 2x line-cutters and position them where I can easily find/use them "blind." Knives I usually avoid due to size and risk of stabbing yourself.
3. After a minor dive-incident I had (below), I now regularly practice being able to retrieve all equipment "blind." For example, my spare regulator and cutting devices are positioned on my BCD harness, precisely where my opposite hand naturally reaches across my chest.

As a side-note, I prefer tools like these over knives:

Specifically, knives are a pain to sheathe, and there's increased risk of stabbing yourself.

I also strongly recommend 2x cutting devices. If one is lost, or an arm is tangled, ideally position them where you can easily reach "bindly" by feel and instinct. Mine are on my harness, on my chest.

Point your thumbs up, and them point your thumb to your chest. It should be about between your pecs and shoulder. I've found this to be an ideal position for important equipment; you can reach it from either hand and it's very consistent. This is the precise place where my extra regulator is (right-chest) and cutting devices (both sides).

The suggestion of mounting on wrist-computer(s) is also a good one.
I have that exact DGX cutting tool. But now I have another one on order. Such a great idea to have two available on opposite sides of each other....just in case one hand is disabled. I ordered an additional for my diving partner (wife) too. It is VERY cheap insurance.

Thanks again and best of luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom