Trip Report El Cantil + Tres Pelicanos (3Ps) => Perfection!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sinistar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving in Cozumel for about 20yrs. In the old days it was with really large groups (20+ people) using Dive Paradise and mix of different hotels. Eventually settled in on Casa Mexicana for the clean rooms, super soft beds, location and the breakfast for about $75/night per couple. As our large groups dissipated I found Tres Pelicanos just right around the corner from the Casa Mexicana and no way going back to the big slow boats. But for years I had strolled by El Cantil and heard great things. And this was my daughter's first year of ocean diving (13yrs old). Another couple joined us so we booked "3CN" at El Cantil (the north tower). Talk about a fantastic VRBO. Each couple had their own room and my daughter had her own room too. Maybe having missed year made it all seem more special, no make that perfect!

Tres Pelicano's:
Lots of fantastic reviews already on this site for 3P's. So +3 for my daughter (Reidun), Sarah and myself (Brad). A very special thanks to Steve and his entire crew. My daughter did her certification 6 months earlier in a cold murky lake. Not bad for a 13yr old. We also previously did a couple of mine pit dives and 6 dives down in Key Largo where she did her Nitrox certification. So it was fun to watch her do the boat and drift drives - using nitrox and already diving a BPW :) I felt like they were keeping a special eye on her...but letting her do her own thing, make little mistakes here and there and figure it out for herself. She is still talking about it now. It took me several years to part ways with big boats in favor of small boats. Reidun commented on the flight home that she far preferred the Loan Shark and Sexy Shark over the 40ft monster boats Rainbow Reef was running. So it took her about 12 dives to find the right answer :)

A bit more on the dive shop:
  • Like a fine watch they picked us up in front of El Cantil at 745am
  • The boats left within 15 minutes of arriving at the Marina.
  • My daughter and I dove EAN32 for all dives her using AL80's and me on 100's. Sarah used air and AL80's
  • I think the extra price for Nitrox and the 100's is a very fair price.
  • My daughter saw her first Eagle rays on the first day and feeding on conch on the last day near the Devils Throat.
  • She found a lion fish for Steve on the only day he wasn't with us.
  • The night dive with Jorge was friggin' awesome (free swimming toadfish and very active octopus)
  • We were in Steve's truck (or the shop's truck) within 15min of the dive boat pulling into the Caleta
  • The of course handled the gear (except regulators due to covid)
  • A++. I would not change a single thing.
  • Bonus they are right next to the hospital so did our covid exit test on the way down to square up the bill.
El Cantil
It was basically perfect, hardly any issue even worth mentioning (but I will). Located almost directly across from Chedraui and about 2 blocks from Mega means groceries, beer, water and snacks were never a hassle. I had contemplated renting this many times before but usually didn't need the space or room count.
  • VRBO - The rental management always responded within 8hrs or less.
  • I believe their cancelation policy timeframe is a bit different than standard VRBO but it was communicated clearly.
  • Check in couldn't be quicker. After the airport shuttle drops you off the El Cantil security guy hands you key cards which allow access to the stairwells and elevators. 48hrs prior to the rental data starting they send you the door access codes. So I would say check in took less time than the elevator ride.
  • There are (2) elevators per tower. The elevators and stairwell doors required key cards so it is basically 100% secure. Even if someone came in through the underground parking a key card is required.
  • A bit more on security: We had (2) room safes and they were large enough for small and medium sized laptops and might fit the largest size. The front door has extra deadbolts that can only be locked from inside. All of the sliding class doors locked properly. Not that we were worried on the 3rd floor.
  • The entire pool deck area is awesome! The main infinity-style pool is a fixed depth of around 4ft and nicely heated. There is a very warm hot tub. Lots of pool deck chairs, sand and covered lounge chairs. There is a gear cleaning tub. The north tower probably has a bit more wind coming around it so our gear was fully dried out in 2hrs or less just sitting down by the water in the sun.
  • There are hot tubs on almost all of the unit's balconies but my understanding is that most are not in use. Ours was not in use but that was indicated before hand and not ever an issue.
  • Our unit had (4) bedrooms. All beds were king sized. All were very soft. The two largest rooms faced the ocean with sliding glass doors directly onto the balcony. The other 2 rooms were on the north side or street side. All rooms had nice ceiling fans.
  • Each room has its own large bathroom with full walk-in shower so (4) bathrooms.
  • The balcony was awesome. It runs the fully length of the unit. Table seating for 4-6. Plus two glider/rockers on one end and two lounge chairs and a hammock on the other end. Perfect for watching the sunset, boats and cruise ships...leaving :)
  • The living room was very spacious and would easily sit 6+ people. The dining room table seats 6 or 8 (see pictures).
  • I rarely watch TV but one of our non-divers was able to find several english channels to watch Olympics, etc. I turned on the TV on our last night and Pulp Fiction was playing, forgot how good it was and watched it all. Actually I think there might have been TV's in all rooms. Just not that big of a deal.
  • The kitchen was excellent. A huge amount of silverware, dishes, plates, drinkware and all the pots, pans and a blender!!! The blender got a lot of use. All the appliances were modern and all were in good working order.
  • They claim you can drink the water and they have a special tap. But they also have one of those water dispensers with the large water jugs. They had pre-placed (3) in our unit and we had just loaded the 3rd on your last day.
  • Speaking of water - there was always hot water. One some days it took an extra minute or two but never ran out of cycled between hot and cold once started.
  • The AC worked great. We really didn't have it set that low and with one of the street side rooms no used we probably could have left a window open on that side and let the nice breeze flow throw. All sliding doors did have screens.
  • There was at least (6) beach towels so no need to bring you own.
  • There is...but isn't....laundry. There is a full washer + dryer set but it is only open when the maid comes in (see next)
  • Amelia (??) came in to clean twice during the week and on the final day. She would arrive around 1130am or so and finish around 1pm. She would do all the towels and linens, clean all the floors and bathrooms. Although we were mostly on top of the dishes she would clean any we hadn't gotten to yet and she would load or unload the dishwasher. She let us leave some things in the room until about 1230pm on check out day. She was great and we tipped her well.
we did have a few very tiny issues but did not affect our trip in any way and I never would have thought of contacting the owner:
  • My daughter's room (North side facing north/street) would get a bit warm. It was mainly because she was taking long hot showers and not opening up her bedroom door to let it all cool off. If we stayed at the unit again I would have had her open her door a bit and use the shades more.
  • One of the two room safes had an error code. So we all shared one safe. To give you and idea for the size we had (3) latops, (4) tablets, several phones, a few cameras, wallets, passports, cash, etc and it still had more room.
...as you can tell we would do it again. One of the owners down by the pool indicated the ceilings in the south tower are taller and probably have larger open spaces since it was built differently requiring no vertical pillars / walls within the units. So maybe a south tower room might be a bit newer or spacious feeling. There are units at pool deck level which is also street level. They would be nice but the flipside would be that just outside your street side door would be a very busy elevator that floors 2...7 would all be using. They are the only doors that do not have exterior access security. But there is a security guard.

Restaurants
Not that much to report as we did all breakfasts, most lunches and a few dinners at the condo but here are a few comments:
  • Casa Dennis - I always enjoy it. The Dennis style fish is always great. Nice location.
  • Woody's - Great music. After eating there the consensus was drinks and music would probably be best.
  • Casa La Mission - The same as always, nice atmosphere and good food.
  • Guido's - We didn't get seating in the back which happened the previous time. Good food. But now that everyone in this group has experienced Guido's and Casa La Mission we will stick more to the small places.
  • Rock 'N' Java. Maybe its just me but I love this place for a quick dinner or lunch or whatever. My daughter wanted a milkshake after diving :) Some of the deserts here are awesome...think best Carrot Cake just about anywhere on the planet. Their fish tacos are awesome. And the wraps will last at least two meals. There are now too many variants of Coca Cola and it seems many in Mexico several have artificial sweeteners. The all black label bottles in the Rock 'N' Java remind me the what coke should taste like.
  • And the winner....Taquerias Diaz....love this place. Early in the trip I said we should do all places like this but everyone wanted to try the others listed. The marinated steak tacos here are awesome. Add some queso. Throw in a beer and maybe you are at about $5. My daughter tried the chicken quesadilla's and she had this smile. I tried a bit - perfection. The guys marinating and grilling here are masters!!! The consensus among all of us was this was our best meal of the week regardless of it also being the cheapest.
Pictures:
GOPR0602.jpgGOPR0610.jpgGOPR0638.jpgGOPR0639.jpg

GOPR0646.jpgGOPR0677.jpgGOPR0686.jpgGOPR1866.jpgGOPR1925.jpgGOPR1931.jpgGOPR1943.jpgGOPR1957.jpgGOPR1960.jpgGOPR1978.jpgGOPR1979.jpg

• The night dive with Jorge...
Was that the Jorge, the Cubano who was with Blue Angel for so many years? Is he back with Tres Pelicanos?

If so, he is my all time favorite Cozumel DM.

Nice post! Not much better than diving with a daughter. We were a group of three couples renting on the 7 th floor South. Fabulous balcony, view. Walk to most discussed eateries or short cab ride. Great location. Dive ops picked up right out back.

Great report- thanks for sharing. Very cool that you are diving with your daughter, the pictures speak for themselves on what that means to both of you.

Can't wait to be back in a few months- Staying/diving at Blue Angel. But I have noted El Cantil for the next trip, that looks like a perfect spot.

Was that the Jorge, the Cubano who was with Blue Angel for so many years? Is he back with Tres Pelicanos?

Gordon is this the Jorge who is a triathelete?

Going to bring a whole lot of hate my way, but Jorge was 75% of the reason I stopped diving with 3P. Steve was the other 25%.

Going to bring a whole lot of hate my way, but Jorge was 75% of the reason I stopped diving with 3P. Steve was the other 25%.
Every time I read about Jorge/Cubano on this forum I bite my tongue. I am glad you said it...
I always found Steve to be great to dive with though.

Back to the thread...thanks for the nice trip report. BTW, it is great to see a new diver (your daughter) with a BPW & bungie reg setup!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom