Trip Report El cantil and Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mlindie4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We went diving for the first time in Cozumel over our fall break October 8-15th. Flew from Las Vegas to Austin to Cozumel. Flight was great no hangups going. We each carried on our luggage and our scuba equipment. Our 10 year old complained vigorously about this. It worked out great I think. We are all new Divers, just logging over a dozen dives each before we went. only catch it when we got there. The airline had not provided the paperwork we needed to get through immigration. I will definitely fill that out before next time and print it and bring it with me.
Our condo at El Cantil was perfect and on the ground floor. This was especially perfect for our son who loves running out and jumping in the pool or jumping off the dock.. We did a lot of snorkeling on the side. The condo was really nice and I would definitely stay there again. We plan on going again at Christmas time but won’t be staying there because the prices are so much higher. My only complaint is feeling like I needed to cook because we had a condo. Let’s be honest part of the reason to vacation is to not have to cook and clean.
Aldora was awesome and picked us up at the dock at El Cantil all but one day. We did 3 two tank dives. It was so amazing and I feel like we all improved our skills, especially our buoyancy. Paloma was our private dive master. She was great and we requested her each day. The whole experience with Aldoro was top notch!!
We ate out most evenings and had some yummy meals we especially really enjoyed Guidos! Our son loved the “garlic bread” we also had a really yummy surf and turf at Rolandi’s the lobster was amazing!
We also managed to find the ecology department in the city and arrange for a turtle rescue. Had we not all been getting sick that night? It would’ve been the highlight of our trip almost. Unfortunately, my son and I ended up with strep throat and really sick that night. Thank goodness you can just pick up antibiotics at the pharmacy there. One terrible day and we are back on our feet. We dug in the sand for three hours, and then also got to release turtles. Rented a really terrible jeep that we were afraid would make it to and from the destination. But it was an adventure and fun.
Thank you for all your help planning this trip. We can’t wait to go back in December. Any suggestions for an affordable hotel or condo still on the beach? Or close to it? We’re thinking hotel Cozumel? But I can’t have a really bad room. Are the rooms decent there? what about Aldoro Villa? Any AI is worth the money? We rolled out Cozumel palace because we can’t dive with Aldoro from there. They charge an outrageous dock fee. what about Aldoro Villa? Any AI worth the money? We ruled out Cozumel palace because we can’t dive with Aldoro from there. They charge a outrageous dock fee. We don’t mind driving into town in the evening for a nice meal, even if we’re further away from town.

Attachments

• 1BA37D8F-D378-4742-9C87-077C21022FEF.jpeg
    1BA37D8F-D378-4742-9C87-077C21022FEF.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 75F943E9-5A55-43C7-A267-8DAE522E94A9.jpeg
    75F943E9-5A55-43C7-A267-8DAE522E94A9.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 66
  • EFE59EDE-B040-4F03-8C9E-50EF08B0883E.jpeg
    EFE59EDE-B040-4F03-8C9E-50EF08B0883E.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 70
Thanks for the report- sounds (mostly) fun! We've looked at El Cantil a number of times and it does look nice, so it's good to hear you liked it. We agree that cooking is not vacation activity, and even doing AI we never feel guilty eating in town a few times.
I read that the Palace pier fee is no more, and I'll know for sure in a few days...

Just about any reasonably priced hotel is going to be a big step down from El Cantil so temper your expectations. I don't think Hotel Cozumel fits your bill though. Rooms are small and beds are hard as concrete. It's not really on the water and there is no beach. The dive shop and a lunch restaurant is on the water but the main hotel is across the street and you can't really see the water from there and it's a fair hike. Blue Angel Resort is right on the water but not really any beach. You might look into El Cid. As for AI, check out Iberostar.

The airline had not provided the paperwork we needed to get through immigration. I will definitely fill that out before next time and print it and bring it with me.
Except now you don't need a tourist card. The Immigration agent just needs your passport, then you need a customs form.

We love Villa Aldora. Highly recommend it. The rooms are simple yet nice. We like to get a room with a kitchenette so we can make a simple breakfast and have some things around for lunch and happy hour. Then we go into town for dinner. When we do a night dive, we cook dinner when we get back, so having the kicthen is nice. If you are adamant about not cooking or preparing food at all, the Villa is not the place since there is no breakfast nearby.

We're trying Casa Mexicana in a few weeks for the first time. They have breakfast and are downtown. It's a popular spot and Aldora does dive/stay packages with them. We'll miss the villa, but decided to try something new.

Cozumel Palace ditched the dock fee. We were there in June and Aldora picked us up right at the CP dock, no fee or hassle about it.

Glad you got to do the turtle rescue! That looks like an amazing experience. I did not know they had started up the trips again. Thanks for sharing.

Check out Park Royal. It's an AI, but has good breakfasts and lunches. Lots of things for your son to do and a short inexpensive cab ride to town for dinners if you don't like the hotel fair. Any rooms above the 5th floor have great ocean views.

If you are willing to forgo the beachfront many options will open up.
We are now opting to rent a casa right in town and forgo a car and walk everywhere. And last time we headed to Coz Coffee got a latte, breakfast sandwich to go and thermos of coffee and sweet snack for the SI. Better than coke and greasy sandwich at the beach club. Eating breakfast while heading south is much nicer than getting up even earlier and trying to scarf something down at 7am.

Perhaps we need to clarify what OP means by "on the beach". A true sloping beach into the water is not going to be found at El Cid or Villa Aldora or any point between them, including El Cantil. Some hotels create a sandy area by the water and set up loungers and call that a beach. Perhaps OP means waterfront.

Back
Top Bottom