Old post, but still relevant (I think)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I posted this five years ago to FB. I still think it's relevant about almost all the people of Cozumel. You might have had a different experience when visiting, but I don't think I have had a bad one in my several visits. So, here it is:

After our last dives yesterday, I took my phone out of my waterproof bag. I don't know why I did it, as I have it on airplane mode and there was no wifi around.
We get back to the condo, and I showered and rinsed my gear.

As we're getting ready to head out for lunch, I can't find my phone. Six searches later and still no phone. Mackenzie remembered that I had it out at the marina which means I left it in the cab.

With the help of the security company, we were able to identify the type of car it was and the exact time it dropped us off (security camera). The condo rental folks spent 30 minutes on the phone with the only taxi company in Cozumel. Mackenzie was even able to remember the color of the lady driver's hair and within an hour and a half of being dropped off, I had my phone back in my hands. It's not an expensive phone, but it does make getting home just a little easier.

I was fortunate to have my friends with me, a very helpful security and condo company and an honest cab driver (she got another, bigger tip).
If you stay in Cozumel, I recommend El Cantil for a place to stay. It's convenient, nice, well priced and very, very helpful.

I used to think insulting thoughts about stupid people who lost their phones that way, and fortunately, I never shared those, until I left mine on the bench by a downtown pier. I didn't miss it until I got two blocks away to my room. I hurried back, asked the guy collecting pier fees, and he pointed to a tourist sitting where I had been - who gave it back to me.

I did the same. I found the drivers house using life360 from my wife's phone. The driver thought i was nuts and a stalker but i gave her a good tip!!

I left my carry on bag in an airport shuttle once. It had my prescription mask, my wife's and my rented regulators, both our passports, our dive computers, and all our traveling funds in it. In a panic I caught a cab back to the airport, and as I was sprinting to the terminal, I heard someone calling to me. It was the shuttle driver standing next to his van with the back door open, pointing to my bag and calling out, "Señor! Señor! Are you looking for this?" He gave me a ride back to the hotel and did not ask for anything, but I tipped him very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom