Cave class report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I debated posting this but finally decided what the heck. Probably nobody cares except the people who will post to tell me what was wrong, but... okay. Whatever. My grandmother used to tell me that's why there's chocolate and vanilla. Maybe this will present a contrast to some of the groupthink around here that will be meaningful to someone who reads it. On...

I wen to FL to learn how to dive in caves from December 11 - 20. I've been home 2 days now and I'm still tired. It's 8:20p and I want to go to bed, but I'm staying up to write this and avoid waking up at oh'dark thirty.

My cave instructor was Joe Citelli. I've been friends with him for a few years and talking to him about being my cave instructor for almost 2 years now. He's 70 years old or so and still way more fit and capable than I am. He is formerly Chairman of the NSS CDS. He wrote some of the IANTD Cave Diving text book. And he is an all-around awesome guy.

He let me know about 6 weeks ago that he had a hybrid class coming up, and had 1 student with room for 1 more. A "hybrid" class means that we would start with Full Cave training on OC and then do a crossover to CCR when that was done. I jumped at the opportunity.

A little of my back story: Going into this class, I had certifications for full trimix (100m) on OC and CCR. And I had done Advanced Wreck Penetration class with @Trace Malinowski a little over 4 years ago. I had no other training for overhead environments. No Cavern, much less Intro to Cave. Also, I bought a sidemount rig about 5 years ago. I played with it in the pool some and then did 4 actual dives with it. Then decided I had no use for sidemount and sold the rig. No further sidemount diving since then. All my OC tech diving since then was with back mount doubles.

Unfortunately for me, I've been having some range of motion issues with my left shoulder. So, as soon as I signed on to do the class with Joe I realized that I could not do the OC portion in BM, because I cannot reach my left post on my doubles right now. So, I bought a Hollis Katana 2 sidemount rig, which I received 10 days before cave class was to start.

The weekend before class, I did a couple of short, shallow dives in the local lake, and then one more a couple of days later in the pool, to get the SM rig adjusted and my tank rigging adjusted, so I would HOPEFULLY not start cave class immediately looking like a total doofus. Huge thanks to my friend Scuba John Baker for getting in the water with me to look at how my tanks were hanging and helping me adjust rigging to get squared away.

Off I went to FL the following weekend with my new Katana, 2 sets of HP100 cylinders, set up for SM, and my rEvo CCR. I was very apprehensive about most aspects of the class - my ability to perform well in a new SM rig, my level of fitness to do the dives in high flow, my buoyancy and trim on CCR, my stamina to hang in there through 10 days of class and diving. I told Joe about it. We have dived together on a few occasions and he assured me that I would be fine. That definitely helped to ease my mind somewhat.

Day 1, I met up with Joe, the other student, whom I call Doug (name changed, to protect the innocent), and a former student of Joe's that I'll call Randy, who was there just to tag along and dive with us. We met at Dive Outpost, made introductions, and headed right over to Wes Skiles Peacock Springs State park.

Joe outlined the plan for our class. We were starting on OC cave, working towards an NSS-CDS Full Cave certification. That required a minimum of 16 dives and 600 minutes (I think is what he said). Once (if) we finished that, then we would do a crossover to CCR Cave, which would require a minimum of 3 dives and 300 minutes. And if we finished that and still had time, we would (if we wanted to) switch back to OC and continue the training to get Stage Cave, requiring another 4 dives and 240 minutes. Doug and I both regarded CCR Cave as the real prize and anything beyond that was just bonus material.

We started with land skills, learning how to run a reel and use line markers. Fortunately, my original SDI Wreck instructor taught me how to run a reel and later, Trace confirmed that I'd been taught correctly, during my Adv Wreck class. Joe runs reels and does tie-offs the way I'd previously been trained, so that was great for me.

Then we got in the water for some shakedown diving action.

I'm not going to go blow-by-blow through all 10 days of the class.

For the first 4 1/2 days, we did everything at Peacock. We did a bunch of in-and-out on the Peacock 1 line and Peanut line. We did circuits where we went in on Peacock 1 or Peanut, went through the Crossover tunnel, and came out the other. We swam in to Olsen and then came back.

At the end of day 5, after 2 morning dives in Peacock, we went to Little River Springs. Our first high flow cave. The river was way down and Joe said the flow was even higher than normal. Little River was the first cave that I really enjoyed. Everything I'd seen at Peacock was (to me) boring. Just a plain old rocky tunnel. But, Little River was really cool and interesting looking on the inside! Unfortunately, we were on OC and my RMV is not great. We were swimming in to thirds, so I was definitely the limiting factor. Our total dive time in that one was only 46 minutes. But, I am definitely looking forward to going back there and diving it on CCR, so I can see a lot more of it.

By this point in the training, we had done a lot of skills stuff.

Setting a primary reel.
Placing cookies and jump reels.
Swim out on backup lights.
Swim out with no lights.
Breath hold swim with no mask.
Lost line drill.
Air sharing while exiting.
Probably more that I forgot.

I really enjoyed the lost line drill. We swam into a big room just inside the cave (past the cavern zone and the cave sign) on the Peanut line. Joe had Randy go further and "guard" the exit of the room that would take us further into the cave. Then, he swam Doug and I each to separate places well away from the line and everybody turned their lights off. Once all the lights were off, I found a rock outcropping by feel and tied off my safety reel. Then I found another close by outcropping and did a secondary tie-off. Then I turned and swam in the direction I thought seemed right. I found the line fairly quickly, tied off my reel to that, then turned and followed the line by feel until I exited the cave. When I got back to where our primary reel was tied off, I checked my computer. Total elapsed dive time to that point was 14 minutes. LOL!! I would say I got VERY lucky in picking the right direction and actually finding the line, much less so quickly.

Also by this point in the class, I had been dinged a couple of times for kicking up the bottom. Usually, when I was trying to tie off the primary in the open water basin, where the wall is very steep. But, also once or twice when tying off a jump reel in the cave. Fortunately for ME, my classmate Doug had earned himself the nickname the Siltmeister, so most of the heat was directed at him. Thank you, Doug, for taking the attention away from me. :)

Going into day 6, we had 2 dives left to do to complete Full Cave. We were back to Peacock and knocked those out in Orange Grove Sink. Then got fills and came back to do the first dive towards the Stage Cave requirements. For that, I carried an AL80 stage bottle in addition to my 2 HP100s. We swam in on Peacock 1 and went all the way to just past Olsen Sink, then turned and came back. I have carried 3 x AL80 for deco/bailout in the past, in addition to either BM double 120s or my CCR, so adding 1 to my SM rig was not a big deal. Just another skill to be demonstrated that I could do.

For days 7 and 8, we had completed Full Cave, so we switched to diving CCR. On the first day, we did the Grand Traverse - Orange Grove Sink to Challenge to Olsen to Peacock 1. We surfaced and did a surface interval in Challenge and Olsen, so each of the 3 legs counted as a separate dive. We did the first leg diving normally on CCR. The second leg was using SCR mode all the way. The final leg was on OC bailout the whole way. I was carrying 2 x AL80 for BO. The rigging and setup for that turned out to need to be a little different than when I'm carrying 2 80s where 1 is BO and the other is deco gas. Minor tweaks that I needed to make after the first day. The first day, my rig just felt awkward and a bit uncomfortable to dive. After I tweaked stuff that night, the 2nd day on CCR felt MUCH better.

For that next day, we went to Ginnie Springs. Another high flow cave. Our plan was to swim in, jump to Hill 400, swim to the Bats, jump to the Rollercoaster line, then go to Double Domes. I hope I explained that correctly as it was my first and only time (so far) in Ginnie and the dive was a little bit of a blur. We were at around 130 minutes or so into the dive - on the Rollercoaster line, but not yet to the Double Domes when I decided I just wasn't feeling it. It was hard work getting into the cave far enough to get out of the current a little bit. After all that, I was having a hard time really catching my breath. I was third in our little conga line, with Joe leading, and my times signaling to call for a stop for a minute to catch my breath were mostly not heeded or not relayed by my teammate in front of me to Joe. I attempted to just "push through" until I decided it was no longer wise. Still, we ended up with a total run of 2 hours, 50 minutes, which made it my longest single dive ever. And, by the way, any male who dives a drysuit without a pee valve is just insane. But I digress.

One really fun thing in Ginnie... My friend Scuba John had come down separately to dive with other kids and stuff. I knew he was going to be at Ginnie the day we were there, but I had not seen him. At some point, roughly midway through our entry, I saw a scooter coming towards me and I recognized the sticker on the front. It was John. I hollered and we waved. He turned around and came right back and we "chatted" through our loops for a few seconds, before he went on his way and I continued on mine. Who ever thinks about randomly running to friends while diving INSIDE an underwater cave?!

So, that was our one dive for day 8. And, sadly, by the end of it, we were about 15 minutes short of the required number of minutes for the CCR Cave crossover. But, that was Sunday and we had 2 more days scheduled for class.

Day 9, we switched back to OC and did 3 dives, 1 hour each, to finish the requirements for our Stage Cave certs.

And on Day 10, all we had left was to get that final 15 minutes of CCR diving done. We had the option to do one nice, long dive, someplace cool. Or, just get in, swim in for 15 minutes, then turn around, get out, and be done. I did not want to be that guy that loses the race by starting to celebrate to early. Also, I wanted to get on the road to home as early as I could. Also, I was frickin' exhausted. We were getting up at 6am every day and usually not getting to bed until at least 10pm. So, I opted for the short dive to just be done. We got in at Peacock 1 for one last dive and got 'er done.

Shoutouts to some fellow SB'ers that I randomly happened to meet while I was down there. @Marie13, @Manatee Diver, and a guy named Addison with a Seaskin drysuit, at Peacock to check his scooter's buoyancy and trim. It was nice to meet all of y'all!

Some other random thoughts:

The Katana SM rig seemed really great. I got the Hollis buttplate with it and used the whole thing pretty much just like it came from the factory. Only a couple of small tweaks to the factory setup.

I had my tanks clipped to the rings on the butt plate. I had my reels clipped to the square drop D-rings on the waist belt in the back. I rigged my UWLD can light across my lower back, just below the wing. My only other experience was pretty minimal time with my old Apeks WSX-45 rig, so my thoughts on the Katana are definitely to be taken with that in mind. Caveat emptor and all that. But, I liked it just fine and am looking forward to diving it more.

I dived in my Seaskin Ultra compressed neoprene drysuit for the whole class. 10 days in a row living in that thing and I am SO happy I bought it. Made to measure, with neoprene wrist and neck seals. Thigh pockets. Attached "tech" boots. And a pee valve. It cost me around $850 and it just seemed like the PERFECT suit for that kind of diving. Under it, I wore the Seaskin Tech Base layer, which is similar to Under Armour Heat Gear, and a Smartwool Merino wool long-sleeve crew neck shirt and leggings. Heavy wool socks. And that was it and I was plenty warm, the whole time.

We stayed at the Cave House, which is about 3 minutes from Peacock Springs, and another 5 more minutes to get to Dive Outpost. The Cave House was pretty perfect for the 4 of us to share. It has a washer and dryer, which we made extensive use of. Very handy. My only complaint - their Internet access there sucks. Bad. And my AT&T cell signal was also very weak, so my mobile hotspot wasn't really any better.

Dive Outpost was great. Shout-out to Adam and Kate. They took excellent care of our tank-filling and miscellaneous parts needs. And they have good beer, a nice doggie, and a very handsome and friendly cat.

It was nice to put a face to the name. Congrats! Reading that just exhausted me.

Now go down to MX for the cenotes. I did full cave there in August. You will love those caves.

Thanks!

I will! I have dived in 5 different cenotes down there. They are one of the main reasons I wanted to do full cave training. So I can go back and really see them!

And here I am intimidated by switching to BP/W single tank long hose diving.

BogusSeveralIchthyosaurs-size_restricted.gif

Our total dive time in that one was only 46 minutes.

30 minutes in, 16 minutes out. :rofl3:

Everything I'd seen at Peacock was (to me) boring.

I need to take you to my favorite places. Peacock is really cool down some of the little traveled jump tunnels.

Also as you get more experience you awareness to look around gets better. Lots of tunnels I thought were small are a lot larger after dozens of dives in the systems.

I was in Marianna doing my sidemount course during the same time period. Only 2 ish days though and I was exhausted 😂 can’t imagine 10 days!! Congrats!

Congratulations. That is three years worth of courses in 10 days.

Congrats.... Now you need a vacation from your vacation.🤣🤣

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom