Are you a stroke?

Are you a stroke?

• Yes, I am a stroke

Votes: 93 79.5%
  • No, I am not a stroke

Votes: 24 20.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....I find myself needing to respond to some of the replies, particularly AllenG's.

First, let's define a "stroke". The word "stroke" refers to ANY unsafe diver. If you dive with an unsafe diver or are an unsafe diver than you are a "stroke".

Now alot of references were made to George Irvine or the WKPP and their use of the word "stroke". What many don't realize is that those exchanges were in a context much different than many of us will experience - technical diving to an extreme. I have never heard GI or any of the other "lightning rods" refer to an average rec diver as a stroke. The attitude that some of these divers have displayed has kept them alive for quite some time.

Now my PERSONAL views:

I believe the DIR philosophy towards diving to be the following:

Gear configuration: simplistic in it's approach and much less expensive than a "standard" rig. Reduction of failure points. More reliance on self and buddy as opposed to "gadgets". Take only what you need for a particular dive. Maintain your configuration throughout all phases of your diving (from a 20' reef to a 5000' penetration of a cave) to create a conditioned response to any emergency. (This does not mean wear doubles and a drysuit on a 20' reef as some opponents would lead you to believe).

Team Integrity: all members of a team should be configured the same. Everybody knows EXACTLY where everything is at any given time on themselves and all other team members. Although most safe divers will familiarize themselves with each others gear configuration before a dive, it's not of much use in a zero vis emergency when you have no idea which team member you have contact with if everybody is configured differently.

Attitude: I will not dive with anyone with the "cowboy" attitude. I will not dive with anyone who "just wants to be different". I WILL dive with ANYONE I know has a safe attitude toward diving AS I DEFINE "SAFE".

Fitness: I will not dive with someone I deam to be unfit FOR THE DIVE AT HAND. It puts that person and myself at risk should there be a problem.

Now my question to the anti-DIR coalition:

Am I THAT much different than you???

Jim Holcomb

Jim
Good comeback, logical and informative
Your definition is a very good one both of a stroke and of you philosophy.

the attitude of the intercircles of the WKPP team I agree must be that of a top gun fighter pilot. this is understandable

if your fphilosoph discribes a non stroke then i need to change my vote, because i agree with you 100%.

so using my OMS bladder, and diving with side mounts on both sides, all being propeled with plastic fins is ok then

I don't think that Jablonski should be talked about in a negative manner. He is a phenomenal diver with a history to prove it. He wrote the first decent book about modern gear configurations. His record speaks for itself.
Today is another example of strokedom on my part.
I was buddy diving in a very popular cave with the goal of pushing a particular tunnel that hasn't been penetrated in a very long time (unless on ccr). Heading to the water, a group of Cave 1 guys asked me why I dive independents. I explained that when in a cave, I don't want my backup gas to swim away. They looked at each other and nodded. I heard "stroke" as I was walking away. Big smiles because we found a new connection. Our "strokedom" has paid off again.

"...so using my OMS bladder, and diving with side mounts on both sides, all being propeled with plastic fins is ok then..."

Might be for you - but not for me. Therefore, I would pass on the technical dive. Why?

You are not configured as I am (or I am not configured as you, if you prefer) - Team Integrity (from post above).

A little discussion about the equipment you mentioned based on my PERSONAL experience.

First, the OMS bladder: I'm sure you've read the press accounts of the recent fatality at Little River. In those press accounts you find that Dr Anthony Ford was the physician who happened to be on the seen and made heroic efforts to save the diver. "Doc" and I (and several others) began our cave training together several years ago. Doc had the OMS bladder with the bungees while myself and my buddy were adopting the hogarthian configuration. On two cave dives, the pull dump (the one on his deflator hose) failed and the bungies squeezed every last bit of air out of his bladder. Not a good thing in a silty cave. Doc has since converted his configuration to a DIR rig.

Second, The plastic fins: As I progressed through my training and prior to purchasing jet fins with spring straps, I dove with Beuchat Activa's. On one occasion, the little plastic pin in the strap buckle vanished in the middle of a cave dive rendering one fin useless. As luck would have it I only had 500' to go - but had to fin out on one fin - not an enjoyable event. I have no problem with plastic fins - I have a problem with plastic buckles.

Third, Sidemount: No personal experience but I think it does have it's applications.

Jim Holcomb

Jim - I thank you for clearly and cogently articulating the principles which, for you, underlie safe diving. And I must acknowledge that I agree with some of the points you offer.

But I must also hasten to note that my using a gear configuration which is identical to yours does not make me a safe diver or a responsible dive buddy, nor does someone else using a different set-up than yours make him/her an unsafe diver or an irresponsible dive buddy. Making, in part, an assumption of someone else's safety focus on the basis of common gear is an invitation for trouble. This sport is fraught with wanna-bes who blithely buy the anointed "definitive" gear as a sign of their so-called expertise. Dive safety is attitude, training, and focus. Your gear is just a tool.

You close by asking if I think that you are different from me? Obviously, I have no more interest in a non-safe diver or buddy than you do. And I do seem to be seeing more and more unsafe divers out there. I must therefore assume that DIR is, in part, a response by serious, safety-minded technical divers to shield themselves from a decreasing degree of safety consciousness among divers. Since the dive industry has done little to reverse this trend, it is understandable that a force would evolve to defend itself from the ravages of unsafe divers. One might, in fact, argue that the dive industry has exacerbated the situation when, in response to declining numbers of new divers, it (1) continuously introduces newer/bigger/better gear, gadgets, and accessories that allegedly will make us safer & better divers, (2) rushes to squeeze out increasingly less trained/less safe divers, and (3) under the aegis of treating certified divers as responsible adults, gives divers with uncertain skill levels lots of flexibility and little oversight. Re the first point, then, I applaud your notion of simplistic gear, reduction of failure points, and non-reliance on gadgets. But, re the 2nd and 3rd points, I would like to also see the dive industry (read as certifying agencies and dive operators) establish responsible, balanced initiatives to promote greater safety focus for all types of diving.

In the mean time, thanks again for orienting me to the safety principles you hold near and dear!

I absolutely agree with that last post Allen. A DIR gear configuration does not necessarily equate to a good, safe diver. There's no doubt about that. It's only a small step in the right direction. If you don't have it between the ears, then the gear isn't going to help much. I would not dive with an unsafe diver who was DIR configured either. It can't be emphasized enough that DIR is holistic and goes well beyond gear and configuration. I think you hit the nail on the head in that third paragraph regarding why many people are going the DIR route.

Good post.

Mike

Team integrity and it's application to uniform gear configuration -
keep in mind this discussion is occuring in the context of a technical forum. I'm not saying my configuration is right for you - I'm saying it's right for me. And in that context in reference to team integrity - those who dive with me in a technical environment will dive the same configuration as I do. Just as those who dive in a technical environment with you SHOULD dive the same configuration as you to maintain team integrity.

As far as the gear not making the diver - I agree and never meant to imply it did. I just centered on the gear configuration because that was where the thread was going.
Attitude, fitness and training all play similiar roles in both the DIR philosophy in general and in team integrity in particular.
Something as simple as uniformity in marking deco or stage bottles are vital to this concept. Those of the same fitness level are important as well as those of the same mindset - be it mine or yours.

The DIR philosophy is a complex one which is often clouded by a handful of misconceptions. I try to clarify when I can - hate to see people close their minds to it without researching it or trying it because of a few "lightning rods" or outspoken "wannabes".

Regards,

Jim well said
If you get through the "lightning rods' etc. and look at what DIR is.

there is a lot of good in it.

even those who hate DIR et al will undoubtable incorperate some of their techniques and configurations into theirs, because it just makes to much sense

Mr Holcomb,

I believe you know my instructor and the group that I am now diving with. ScubaJamz is my instructor, and Stan is my g/f's father who I am now diving with. They have both spoke of you with nothing but praise.

(I left full or real names out because I am not sure if they would like them posted.)

Back
Top Bottom