Are you a stroke?

Are you a stroke?

• Yes, I am a stroke

Votes: 93 79.5%
  • No, I am not a stroke

Votes: 24 20.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Stroke" and other concepts of the DIReful DIRection only serve to rob diving of its most important aspect: having fun. When DIR compliance is more important than having (safe) fun, something is wrong!

That's just my opinion. I may be wrong . . .

"Stroke" and other concepts of the DIReful DIRection only serve to rob diving of its most important aspect: having fun. When DIR compliance is more important than having (safe) fun, something is wrong!

The term stroke is used by far more non dir folks than dir folks from my experience. In fact, after 4 pages running here, I see a lot more responses from non dir folk easily.

I think a lot of people just kind of take pride in not doing something with a crowd, before really doing the full research.

I would recommend actually reading the book and getting the approach from the horses mouth, Jarod Joblonski. You will see that fun is a very important part of dir from his standpoint.

Tommy

The problem with DIR - GUE

There is one major flaw in the DIR - GUE system!!

That is attitude. Every thing I ready about this DIR - Gue method of doing stuff makes since and I have incorporated much of it into my system over the years.

The only problem with it is the attitude of their preachers. It amazes me that universally there seems to be this arrogance, closed mindedness, belligerent personality amongst the purest conformist.

Again I am not saying the system is bad just the attitude of SOME of the hierarchy, but it seems to be a large percentage of those SOME.

I will give you an example that made me laugh last night.

I subscribe to a UK publication [magazine] called
990 UK Diving in Depth

This is an amazing magazine, take Immersed and intensify it ten fold.

Each magazine is filled with articles written by the actual expedition leaders and explorers of such things as
Lusitanian by Leigh Bishop he’s talking about SPECIFICLY how he conducted dives at 93M for 28 minutes inside the ship. And doing 100 dives on it during one expedition.

Deep diving depth record by John Bennet in his own words what was happening throughout this 833ft open circuit dive. How he set up his rig, who and how his safety team set up. Just a good personal story about the world deepest dive [at the time] he just pushed it to 1010ft. oh yeh and it includes Johns email address to ask him any further questions about his dive. I emailed him and he responded in depth.

The Carpathia by Richard Stevenson team leader diving to 158m 260 miles off shore the article talks about everything to do with the dive including run times of 249 minutes with deco stops and gasses used.

How about a two part series four pages each by Dr. Richard heads, Bruce Weinke about deco theories and bubbling. Explaining Reduced Gradient Bubbling Models with exerts from Richard Pyle and even the WKPP

The bottom line is that this is a great publication with nothing in it but people doing the most extreme exploration on the planet, the how their doing it, the why, and the technology behind it. Not to mention lots of photos about it

So back to the problem;
Here is a quote from a letter to the editor to this publication;

"Having seen your last two copies of your so call 'in depth' magazine I have come to the conclusion that this is the biggest parade of strokism that exist on the planet earth! It is sad that the majority of readers who don't know any better will be fooled into buying and using inferior equipment and techniques because of your promotion of bad diving methods. To feature strokes using helmet mounted lights, bondage wings, high-pressure low volume cylinders and down-stream valves is pure goofery.
Judging by the photos of so called kit configuration that you are promoting as the norm, it looks to me like you've never heard of Doing It Right [DIR] approach, do you even know what Holgarthian is!?
Perhaps you should all do our readers a favor and publish something on the WKPP or DIR training and see proven and SUPERIOR product and methods. From Tim O'Faolain

This is typical of the attitude of this group of people.
The people doing dives to depths and in environments that are unbelievable write this magazine, and they are doing them year after year. Would it not make since to learn something from them? Instead of criticizing them for not doing it your way.

By the way you can check out the Mag at www.990mag.com

Mike,

I don't particulary care for the attitude and language of many of those you are referring to either. I understand where they are coming from and why they get upset, but it is unfortunate and is a big turn off for most. Even though I think what they advocate is close to 100% right, I don't care for the approach of many.

Take care.

Mike

BTW, you can't be closed minded if you're going to accept something as strict as DIR and wade through all the BS to find the good information and "unconventional" thought that some of these guys put out. Who is being "closed minded" is more defined by point of view, I think :).

I went to the GUE site and ordered a bunch of books and will see just what is the straight scoop.

Working in the commercial diving undustry we try to standardize the things that can be standard like air station setup, but the gear and configuration must be different for different jobs. We simply pick the best gear and setup for the job at hand. Each job is planned, briefed, executed, monitored, recorded, debriefed and reviewed individually.

Gee, helmet mounted lights are bad? Funny, when I need both hands to operate tools were am I supposed to put the lights and CCTV camera?:confused:

Learn something new every day and every dive.

michael

There is one major flaw in the DIR - GUE system!!

That is not part of the system, it is part of the emotion that can exist around the system.

The "nice" attitudes just don't get published as much or talked about because they do not draw as much attention. People are attracted to George becasue of hit attitude and lightening rod demeanor.

I do find it funny how much discussion goes on about this "attitude" concept without even mentioning the pros or cons of the system.

Tommy

Tommy thats my whole point
it is all talk about the attitude. either that someones way is wrong or that their way is better.

but never pointing out why, usualy just a refference to read the book [bible]

there are a lot of pro's with DIR and very few if any con's with the system, the reason i say the one flaw with the system is the attitude is because attitude is a biog part of any system. and fire and brimstone attitudes went out a long time ago

this whole stroke thing can be boiled down to this
if you do not dive on the WKPP team and or you are not DUE trained to at least TECH 2 then you are a stroke.

just ask any non stroke

who cares if you are a stroke or not
learn all you can from all sourses available to you, go diving, get some expereince, take course when appropriat. and develop a system that is right for your diving enviroment and the type of diving you are doing. wether that be a 40 foot reef or 1000 ft deep dives.
If you do something right or wriong hopefully we can all learn from you as well

I believe AquaTec has hit the core issue when he points out that "it is all talk about the attitude. either that someones way is wrong or that their way is better. Never pointing out why, usually just a reference to read the book [bible]."

When I first wanted to learn more about DIR, I asked a DIR proponent to briefly outline some of the principles. He directed me to "the good book" and told me that I had to read it to fully understand. I reiterated my request for a synopsis of the highlights, suggesting that it would be helpful to understand the 10 or so major tenets of DIR. With an air of righteous indignation, he replied that I probably also thought it possible to summarize the Bible into 10 major tenets. Tempted as I was enumerate the 10 Commandments, I realized that for this individual and some devout DIRists, DIR was indeed a religion and it was clear that the dogma of the religion had superceded the message. The parallels of DIR and a religion suddenly came into focus. Notice the interchangeability of phrases such as:

"Unless you're a believer in XXX religion/DIR, you just don't understand."

"I would never marry a person of a different faith/dive with a non-DIR diver."

"If you don't absolutely and faithfully follow the tenets of XXX religion/DIR, you will suffer the pains of Hades/DCS."

"When facing adversity, my faith in God/DIR will see me through."

"Unless you've chosen the path of XXX religion/DIR equipment, you cannot be spiritually fulfilled/a safe diver."

"Once you've heard the word from my preacher/Jarod Joblonski, you'll understand."

I shall forego the cheap jokes about diving and religious services being predominantly weekend activities, the equivalent cost of diving vs. tithing, the infallability of the Pope vs. the infallability of DIR, or the handling of snakes vs. sea snakes. And I offer in advance my apologies to anyone whose deep religious convictions may be offended by seeing DIR compared to a religion. No offense is intended; it simply provides an easy point of comparison.

I don't accept extreme dogma in religion nor can I accept extreme dogma in diving. Is there wisdom and useful information in DIR? Of course there is and we'd all be better off to learn about it. But if it's draped in self-righteousness or an assertion of superiority, no thanks!!

Allen
WELL SAID

Back
Top Bottom