Are you a stroke?

Are you a stroke?

• Yes, I am a stroke

Votes: 93 79.5%
  • No, I am not a stroke

Votes: 24 20.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On this board I have seen the word stroke used by non or anti dir people many, many more times than anyone advocating dir.

In fact I cannot remember anyone here that advocates dir using or calling anyone a stroke.

I think some pull the attitudes of say 5 or 6 people that are active on other boards and inserting them here...

I find it interesting that dir folks get billed with being close minded so often but the posts here by dir folks seem to be very open minded toward the best config and reasoning. On the other hand from the non dir folks I am reading a lot of "I dive my config and that's good enough for me"

Am I a stroke? Don't even know what the definition would be so hard to tell.

Tommy

Obviously no oldtimers in on this thread.

In the late 50's and early 60's grease was for the guys that greased their hair down wore tshirt with cigs on there rolled up sleeves etc. Surfs were surfers nothing in the hair and baggy type clothes etc. I remember fights at school.
Remember Bobby Kennedy saying "you still wearing the greasy kids stuff?"
Seems silly now as will stroke and non stroke.

Ed B

I am 26 and new the Grease/Surf thing! Gees people! :wink:

As far as being a stroke, let's just say that I am a stroke in training. LOL. I like the Beuchat Master Lift Tech BC, and plan on using it and my "short hose" setup when ever I am doing simple recreational diving. However, I do use some methods and equipment that are carried over from DIR, such as DIN valves. Once I actually start my technical advanced diving, I will be using a much more DIR setup. However, I will continue to use my good ole regular setup for simple dives. I feel this will make me much more comfortable in using a variety of equipment styles, and make it easier for me to adapt to different dive partners.

The group that I dive with uses the same basic theory as I do, so that makes it a little simpler for us all. When they go cave diving, they are 100% DIR, when they just do baisc O/W dives, they stick with their BC's, and rec equipment.

If you mean stroke as an doing things that are unsafe in the water, than no. I would be palced on punishment within my group and not allowed to dive the rest of the day. Not too mention the constant ridicule.

This reminds me of three of my other hobbies, cars, guns, and politics. Cars everyone argues between speed and looks, and in guns it is between tatical and competition. Then of course you have politics with Reps and Dems.

Big James,

I don't understand the logic in WANTING to have two completely non-interchangeable diving kits. If you always just dive DIR, you'll be more comfortable, you'll always know the proper protocols, and you'll never have to hunt around for that *^(& octo holder.

If you're constantly going back and forth, you'll never get completely comfortable with either kit. I fail to see a reason to be "comfortable using a variety of equipment styles." The only equipment you'll ever need to use is... yours.

- Warren

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
Big James,

I fail to see a reason to be "comfortable using a variety of equipment styles." The only equipment you'll ever need to use is... yours.

- Warren

In agreement w/ Warren here. Granted, a diver can theoretically get comfortable in any set-up(s), but I believe simplicity allows for the most proficiency.

Besides......TWO sets of gear? Ouch, my bank account is hurting at even the idea :dontthink

Well, sometimes I just ain't too logical! LOL! I guess I just like to leave my options open. I can't really explain it too well trying to write it down. I know what I want to say, but can't think of how to say it. *shrug*

Originally posted by Ontario Diver
Depends on who you ask...

Don't think I care tho - got too much learning to do to worry about it.

This mirrors my feeling - but hey, can I be called "strokette" instead?

:D

I guess I will just have to read the book and see what the real story is.

michael

Chepar
Howzit strokette Sista, Maui boy here, well grew up in Honolulu area, then moved. Living in a ski resort now [damb cold one too]

Like someone said here.
I too have two sets of gear; I have a tech rig set with doubles, long hose and all that.
Then I have a recreational set, very simple one tank. Quite your normal rig you would see at any dive site.

I am completely comfortable in both, and both sets are standard for the type of divers I would be associating with at the time
Rec or Tec.

With my rec gear I have a gauge council with computer, compass, SPG, yet with my tec it is wrist mounted.

Yes I could dive that 60 ft dive for 20 minute with my tec gear, or tech configuration on my rec gear. But I don't think it would be standard rec gear that way. And I would have to train everybody I ever dive with on how my unique set up works.

My rec gear is definitely not interchangeable with my tech gear. For one my rec gear does not have to be cleaned [internally] to the same level as my tec. and my rec gear I will get air fills at any dive shop, with my tec I am much more specific. Mostly doing my own blending.

Once you start spending the $$ on tech gear then rec starts to seem cheap.

Thinking about it I do use the same mask, Drysuit and PLASTIC fins for both. My theory is only applicable to my scuba unit

Back
Top Bottom