Are you a stroke?

Are you a stroke?

• Yes, I am a stroke

Votes: 93 79.5%
  • No, I am not a stroke

Votes: 24 20.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was diving Cow Springs sunday afternoon, when I ran into an Army Diving Medical Officer. He complimented me on my technique and gear configuration. Being ex-Navy, we had a few things in common.
After a few minutes of discussion, he began talking about the people he has witnessed the last few weeks and how they were almost all strokes.
I realized that I'm a stroke. It feels good to say that.

My Side block and FFM was strokery.

I say was because i simplified my rig by removing both offending practices.

TMD

I'm a stroke because, I wear fixed D rings on my shoulder and waist.Plus my orange and flouescent green dry suit just doesn't fit the DIR suit requirements.:nono:
Ken

Yes I am! :thumb: Because I currently don't have anything setup like the non-strokes advocate, AND I love my Amazing Bungeed Wings of Death.

(But since I'm still alive after all my dives to date with no incident, does that count me as a survivor?)

Yes you would be classified as a survivor Mike.
We already have 3 non-strokes. That's impressive.

Originally posted by Waterlover
I'm a stroke because, I wear fixed D rings on my shoulder and waist.Plus my orange and flouescent green dry suit just doesn't fit the DIR suit requirements.:nono:
Ken
Orange and fluorescent green??? Wow, I can honestly say I've never even imagined that color combination....

There's a funny thing about the term "stroke" - the first time I saw it, Irvine defined a "stroke" as someone with an unsafe attitude. Under that definition I am not a "stroke." Indeed, I'm one of the few divers I know who actually has formal training in mishap prevention and analysis, and an actual designation as a safety officer.
On the other hand, "stroke" has come to mean anyone who doesn't march in lockstep to the most minute detail of whatever the "DIR" czars dictate in everything from finstraps to knives, mixes to tank sizes - if it ain't prescribed it is proscribed. Under that definition I'm a stroke - for many violations of the DIR mantra - and I don't foresee ever qualifying as a non-stroke under those restrictions.
Rick

Why I said no.....:idea:

During my DIR Fundy class a couple of months ago we laughed ourselves silly watching video of our diving in AG's hotel room. Pure strokery...... so we assumed. AG was quick to correct us in saying, "you're not strokes, you're learning." Ahhhhhhh.

My thoughts: It goes back to attitude, motivation, and choices. As a novice, I do my best to choose the best gear, buddies, and dive plans. My motivation is to learn, practice, train, and get experience with the best people and agency. Notice I didn't say "agencies" :wink:

I've got a long ways to go, but I feel confident that I'm on the right track. Bring it on!

My 2 cents,
Future NON stroke in the making

Back
Top Bottom