are people really this clueless???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found that muttering something about "triple integrals" gets an interesting reaction from most people. :D

Doing Laplace Transforms and Fourier Series is enough math for me, lol.

The trend I see in the average person out there (in the US) is that math skills aren't being pushed as requirements, so people are getting out of high school barely able to do basic math w/ or w/o a calculator... Scares the crap out of me!

I consider myself to be an average joe.. I went to public school and wasn't crazy about math, but did what I needed to graduate. But I still remember algebra and little silly things like "FOIL" from pre-algebra.

I did have to take Calculus twice in college because the first time around I just didn't get it from the beginning so differentials and integrals seemed like japanese to me and I dropped the class half way through. Second time a few years later I had a diff professor, different attitude, and I breezed through it with a 4.0 because I understood the beginning fundamentals and when we built those up to differentials and then integrals, they made sense because the prof used real world examples of where could use them to solve a problem. Solving a "differential equation" sounds real boring and complex, but when you explain it by saying "We're trying to find out the instantaneous rate of acceleration of this car from point A to point B as it passes 5 secs" then its far more interesting.

Wouldn't anyone having a Bachelor's Degree have had to take some kind of Pre-Cal or Calculus class? I went to a business school and still had to take Calc....

Hopefully some day the US will get on the ball and require mandatory standardized federal exams like many other countries in order to graduate school, otherwise, it looks like we're turning into a country of mostly nitwits.

Swan1172:
You can teach a parrot to talk, but all it is doing is mimicing a sound.

Ah, but as any parrot owner will be able to tell you, even the parrot can learn WHEN to mimic a sound...

For example, our (my wife's mostly) severe macaw has learned to say "Up" when he want's to be picked up, "Hi Kiwi" (his name) when we come home. "Pretty bird" when it's bath time... the list goes on.

There are some people out there that can't even learn this much it seems like :(

SparticleBrane:
The formulas seriously aren't that hard.
(1.4 / %O2) = MOD in ata
(1.4 / max depth in ata) = best mix

...how do these people do their TAXES if they can't do that?
I hire an accountant to do my taxes :D

Out of about 10 people it was me and this 11 year old that read and did the work. Everyone else still passed, somehow.

mobster75:
Wouldn't anyone having a Bachelor's Degree have had to take some kind of Pre-Cal or Calculus class? I went to a business school and still had to take Calc

Not for Degrees #1&2 (earned concurrently). Only College Algebra and Sadistic... err, Statistics.

Degree #3 required Calculus I-III, Analytic Geometry I-III, and Differential Equations... none of which I've used since (nor do I remember much of).

I think I may have put more effort into my dive training and studies than I did in my college education :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom