are people really this clueless???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear ESL,

Many times in life you get to prepare fully for courses. Sometimes yes it is disconcerting to have to wait for others to learn. The point is that they are students, which means they run the gambit from well prepared to just paid for the course two minutes ago. While most dive classes are scheduled some of them are given on an "as available" basis. For these classes you may or may not have time to prepare. You, as a potential student, wishing to gain the skill may have to go in to class with little preparation. For those of us that live here on earth we will be prepared, surprized, and caught off gaurd many times. What is important is that you come away from the experience ready to face the new challenge. Not everything can be learned in the book and much of life is the pursuit of more skills for more advantages to earn more money. Many divers do this for fun. It is enjoyment and when it ceases to fun their attention will wax and the next new shiny adventure will call.
While it must pain you to be in a class with unprepared partners, it will happen. Try to be the bigger man let them learn. Its their lives at stake just like yours!

Joe

P.S. I rarely read the board so flame away must your weak bursts do me no harm.

booth22:
No kids, but my wife is a teacher and knows all about this. I guess the problem is I hoped adults would be more responsible than young children.... :shakehead

I have been offended by this behavior many times, and not just in dive classes. Unlike those other classes tho' - diving is not very tolerant of mistakes. You would think that people would be motivated by that at least!

WEll, I just completed rescue, and I was the only one of 4 who showed up with my homework done the first day...

drl:
WEll, I just completed rescue, and I was the only one of 4 who showed up with my homework done the first day...

Well congratulations on completing rescue class!

What you may need is more credits. Our course is 4 credits and with a real grade riding on it. I usually have about 90 students trying for 20 slots so I do not offer a pass fail option. Certification requires a "C" and a recommendation for research diver status requires a "B." I find that they pay attention and are prepared. Perhaps (I don't know) you're too easy on them.

Back
Top Bottom