are people really this clueless???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next time you go for a cert. take the private course.
Some people are just going to do things their way, and like it or not, it is their time too in a group setting.
Instructors for the most part aren't going to tell $$$ to leave and come back prepared for fear of permanently losing the $$$.

In short, these folks aren't clueless but too LAZY to know better. All too often we carry our college attitude into real life and that's when we become a pain to others.

It gets even worst when it's folks who are so important in their respective fields that when they go to class they actually expect to be spoon fed since they paid for the class.

They get no sympathy from me if they fail and have to retake the course.

SangP

we joke around the office when we hire a receptionist " You can teach typing but you can't teach looks" - in this case you can teach nitrox, you can't teach work ethic"

I have seen this many times as an instructor - being in sales I roll with it; however, in an EANx class that takes 4 hours or less, I do my best to let them know again and again and again that they are unprepared.

IN OW courses that last a bit longer, we start night one, after the introductions calling one person at a time to answer the Knowledge Review questions. They are never unprepared after that.

I did not have anyone in my OW class that was unprepared, but I know at my LDS they tell everyone that if you don't have the review questions answered you will be sent home so that you do not impact the people who want to learn. The owner tells everyone up front that they will let you sit in the classes until you get it or quit, but they won't certify a person who is not ready because it could be a matter of life and death. That was one of the reasons I liked them, and possibly why they are so popular in this area.

Lack of basic math skills does not surprise me. How many people can't spell, or use basic language skills also? I do not claim to be perfect at it, but how many times do you see people who are board because there friends are not home? And yet many people don't see a relationship between being lazy educationally and being lazy at work, but a lazy person is usually a lazy person at most things in life, not just some.

ClayJar:
calculus was a blast

You are one SICK individual. You should seek professional help.

:doctor:

Walt1957:
I do not claim to be perfect at it, but how many times do you see people who are board because there friends are not home?

ROFLMAO! :lol:
Ber :lilbunny:

ZzzKing:
You are one SICK individual. You should seek professional help.

I took Honors Calculus in college and enjoyed it because the professor was interesting and was a rather flambouyant gay man. He wrote in different colored pastel chalk which made sense: pink line + blue line = purple line. :)

TheHobster:
IN OW courses that last a bit longer, we start night one, after the introductions calling one person at a time to answer the Knowledge Review questions. They are never unprepared after that.

That is the same method that our instructor used plus he added the penalty of buying him a 6-pack if you hadn't completed the chapter questions. :)

When I orginally took my basic scuba class the attitude was much different. The first day you showed up to the pool at took the swimming test. IF you passed that you sat in class did the book work and alternated day to day from class room to pool.

The class was set up more along the lines of a "wash out" than a "teach you" enviroment. The meet in the middle approach seems better than a extreme swing in either direction.

I have been in classes (scuba and other) were a show up would give you a pass. I have been in other classes were you spent the time and worked or you would fail.

Things I have heard from Ceritified divers: "I love my computer I just strap it on and jump in.. it even figures my mix for me." "I think I figured out how to read my computer" "I do not know why we even still have tables, with a computer you really do not need to know anything else." (I think it would be benificial to know something aint quite right at 110' when it says you have 45min of bottom time left.)

I applaude all the instructors who send the student home to finish the reviews and come back. I also aggree with the other postings about society shifting the blame to everything but themselves.

good thread.

Nah, just let the clueless die on their check out dive.................gives darwin awards fresh meat.

Back
Top Bottom