AquaSafari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our conversation also brought back to my mind another thing about our dive that day: His boat was the THIRD to come near our flag....one ran straight past it, another drifted past it, then his boat pulled up near it and stopped. So it's not just AquaSafari that was too close to the flag, he's just the only one that resulted in further interaction and conflict. But, it's all good now.
Since you had TWO OTHER boats pass near your flag in addition to the Aquasafari boat, the root problem seems to be something more than just the eyesight of one Aquasafari captain.

Perhaps someone like Bill Horn or Christi can dig a bit deeper, and solve the real problem.

While not explicitly admitting that his captain ran over the flag, the dive op owner says that he's sending his captain off to get a set of glasses.

Now everyone says that the dive operator is wonderful.

Yep. Kumbaya time!

If that all you saw him say? Would you like someone to read his posts to you...?

Hey, the kid was lucky to not poke his throat or eye, and if other kids see it they may get the safety message. :wink:

Methinks (and hopes) this is a photoshop'ed image.

I don't think so. I think it is a beneficial safety message for kids. :wink:

If that all you saw him say? Would you like someone to read his posts to you...?
PLEASE DO!
Or quote anything in any of his 7 posts to the board that substantively addresses the incident. So far I haven't seen anything.

He had a meeting with the OP. He obviously has also met with the captain and instructor concerned. It wouldn't be that difficult to tell us what happened from the perspective of the captain and instructor.

Or are you referring
I would like to provide you amazingly avid readers a full report; I have followed it as I would do an accident report, and though urged by several people in the last few days to rapidly respond to the board, I'd rather get it right than get it in quickly.
To me, it's not clear whether he is saying that he will have a full report later, or whether he held off until having the breakfast meeting and that the above post was his final response to the incident.

PLEASE DO!
Or quote anything in any of his 7 posts to the board that substantively addresses the incident. So far I haven't seen anything.

He had a meeting with the OP. He obviously has also met with the captain and instructor concerned. It wouldn't be that difficult to tell us what happened from the perspective of the captain and instructor.

Or are you referring To me, it's not clear whether he is saying that he will have a full report later, or whether he held off until having the breakfast meeting and that the above post was his final response to the incident.

Or it could be that everyone involved considers the matter closed and is moving on. It would be nice if all were disclosed here, but I do not feel that we are necessarily owed an explanation. I think I have a pretty good grasp on what happened, anyway. An accident happened (or nearly happened), no one was hurt, but tempers flared on both sides. He said, she said, and the truth is, like nearly always, somewhere in the middle. Move along, nothing more to see here. ;^)

Let me say that I'm still working on this incident, that today was the first payday of the year, and I'm really busy, but that I hope to respond in full and pray that someone is still interested.

When you investigate an accident or an incident, you have to listen, take notes, and when you first open your mouth it's to ask questions. When the info well runs dry, you write up your conclusions, often spot clues for follow up, check them out, integrate any new info and then review it again looking for anything overlooked. Then, or if and when you realize you are at fault, apologize, do everything you can to make it up to the injured party, and don't forget to implement what you can to keep from falling in the same hole again.

In this case it's luckily an incident rather than an accident, and after going over the sequence of events for about 3 hours yesterday morn with Jonathan and Morgan, we did not manage to clarify and synchronize what happened, as there are about 2 or 3 minutes there where it remains murky. I'm still learning about buoys, about the present conditions on Paradise, and following up on clues as to who said what and when. To follow up I have to wait for someone's day off, to get out of instruction class, to get back from a dive trip; while trying not to overlook what I have to get done.

There are some interesting clues which only one reader has so far picked up on, and while we may never - or at least I may never know exactly and for sure what happened out there, there's a lot to learn from both the on-board and in-water perspectives.

Please stay tuned if for nothing else to find out whether if my Captain is indeed shortsighted.

This internet forum and experience has truly busted my gut; it's been quite an experience, and I do indeed promise a full report. I've been advised to hurry up but I am commited to getting it right over getting it in quickly.

Sinceramente,
Bill Horn

This internet forum and experience has truly busted my gut;....

welcome to the www!

the good thing is that by standing up and taking some action (or reflection) you have some loud supporters here and new divers that will be looking you up next time they are down there

the internet can work both ways and i think you have come out of the tunnel clean on this one

cheers

There are still a number of other forums that have us as irresponsible.

Perhaps I've shown we are not irresponsive on this forum, but unfortunately it still reads irresponsible and even homicidal in other forums I have not even gotten to.

This is the only forum I have entered, the only one that advised me there was an issue, and invited me to respond.

welcome to the www...........................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom