Apollo Bio-Fin, Atomic Smoke or TUSA Zooms, which one is the best Split Fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know what's really amazing about all of this? Papa Bear seems to know everything about everything but he can't even spell CLOTHES!!!! You give Cal-Poly a bad name my friend!!!!!

:dork2: :rofl3: :dork2: :rofl3: :dork2: :rofl3:

BDSC

The most amazing thing to me about this board and human nature is the need to run others down in order to build ones self up! But when you don't have anything in your quiver throw insults! I also notice the envy and disdain for those who know something! :lotsalove::rofl3: Of courses I don't mean that for all, I am just generalizing! lol

The most amazing thing to me about this board and human nature is the need to run others down in order to build ones self up! But when you don't have anything in your quiver throw insults! I also notice the envy and disdain for those who know something! :lotsalove::rofl3: Of courses I don't mean that for all, I am just generalizing! lol

You must have been staring into a large mirror when writing this!

What amazes me about this thread is that it only takes a couple folks to derail such a simple question.

The author did not ask about propellers, props, engines, or motorized anything? :confused::shakehead:

The question was simple. I would strongly suggest that if people can't post ON topic, they either start their own thread, or go out for a run or something rather than continuing this huge hijack.

Papa, if you have not compared the three fins in question, then find a new place to grandstand.

This back and forth off topic stuff is rather boring, and tiresome.

I have a pair of TUSA Zooms Split Fins. I like them alot, but I'm thinking about adding another pair to my stable. I hear alot of great reviews on the Atomic Smoke on the Water fins and alot of people swear by their Apollo Bio-Fins.
My question is, which fin has the best speed and power and overall performance of all 3?

Thanks!

Getting back to topic: I have used all three fins. They are all fine choices, IMO. My personal favorite is the Apollo. The bio fins are a bit heavy since they are all natural rubber; I like that for surface swimming and it seems to help when dry suit diving. The Apollo foot pocket is comfortable and the open toe design provides a lot of leverage. If you already have a pair of Tusa splits give the natural rubber version a try, they are not as good looking as the Atomic fins but they work great.

Your comments are both incorrect as well as demostrate a limited understanding of fluid dynamics.

First to move through water (or air) there are two significant factors.

First is the energy require to create movement.

And then there is the resistance to this movement - your comments totally ignore this second fact. A large kick where the area covered by the kick goes beyond the frontal area of the body which is being moved is not efficient, as it in fact creates more frontal area. This increases drag - which decreases speed and efficiency. This is why a twin outboard boat goes only about 30% faster than a single engined boat assuming all the engines are the same size - this is due to the drag caused by the drive of the second engine ..... ooops Papa there goes your theory. Of course hull length being proportional speed has an effect two (below planning speed of course). This is why a that is longer proportially to its beam will be faster than shorter/wider boat even if they have the same engine size.

A also the "lever" thing is quite significant as the length of the lever (or fin) proportional to the force or rational center of movement in the case of fin. Sort of why free diver fins are so long .... I guess all of those guys are wrong to. They do not use spits due to the length of the fins would create rigidity problems in splits as well as they typical on use one type of kick for one purpose.

While my spelling sucks, and I admit it; Papa uf I were you I would proof you website for a number of spelling errors on you info page.

The weight of the water and your pushing against it is what gives you forward motion! The most efficient kick would be one as fast and large as possible given the size and length of your lag in relation to your torso! A whales tale is not split it is broad and powerful in order to move the whale forward! If it were split it would collapse and wouldn't be efficient! But some how we are rewriting the same laws of physics so that floppy is better!

How that ever got morphed into lift and levers I haven't got a clue, but then again thats the problem with the false logic of split fins!

I use the spell checker and edit my posts. I also edit and delete words such as "ignorant" which can be considered inflammatory to some and be taken very personally. Though I suspect Papa_Bear's chiding is to create an emotional response for an argument and he does not seem to consider it a personal attack.

I am new to forums. I just started using ST, SB, and SpearB. I was bored at work yesterday and thought this was entertaining. But it is very bad for the original poster to have to sift through and could get old quick.

Scuba Lab Fin Review - Scuba Lab - Scuba.com
18 New Fins - Scuba Diving Magazine
http://www.scubadiving.com/upload/images/pdf/200711_fin_test_chart.pdf
Fin Fight - Scuba Diving Magazine
2005 Fin Test - Scuba Diving Magazine

here are a few tests that seem to backup the theory that split fins are faster, have more thrust, and use less energy.

I don't have that many dives under my belt so I can't really put in my two cents here but I based my choice on reading these tests and trying a few in the pool for what felt good to me.

Splitfins are useless. They allow people who don't have proper kicking technique to move by moving their feet, but without kicking.

:snore:
Splitfins are useless. They allow people who don't have proper kicking technique to move by moving their feet, but without kicking.

:snore:

Hey I would like to thank my critics for pointing out spelling errors! I manage a couple web sites and have had a few volunteers for editor, but the task is huge! I know you think your making fun of me and thats a small price to pay to help me get the job done! I have fixed a few and it is ready for your criticisms, so go to it and beat me up about please!:D

Back
Top Bottom