Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Collin O'Brien

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to decide between Apex RK3 Fins and Apex RK3 HD Fins and would appreciate some insight….or if there is a better fin out there please let me know.

I currently dive mostly in New England. I use a S.S BP plus single tank adapter with integrated 6 lb weight and only 2 additional lbs of weight while wearing a 7/5mm wetsuit. 6’3” 200lbs.

I’m just not sure which one to get. I would like it to be as versatile as possible. For use in New England and travel and maybe with a drysuit as I plan on getting one this fall. Or should I just get the normal RK fins and an then a ScubaPro JetFin for the Drysuit? I currently use Atomic Blade fins I bought while living in FL and they are just awful for diving in New England, too long, flimsy and no propulsion.

Thank you,
Collin

Deep6 Eddy are the best fins out there IMO in that type of fin. The Apeks are super floppy and I wouldn't recommend them. If you are planning on diving in a drysuit with backmount then you may want Scubapro Jets for the weight, but the Hollis F1's are good for that as well.

I am trying to decide between Apex RK3 Fins and Apex RK3 HD Fins and would appreciate some insight….or if there is a better fin out there please let me know.

I currently dive mostly in New England. I use a S.S BP plus single tank adapter with integrated 6 lb weight and only 2 additional lbs of weight while wearing a 7/5mm wetsuit. 6’3” 200lbs.

I’m just not sure which one to get. I would like it to be as versatile as possible. For use in New England and travel and maybe with a drysuit as I plan on getting one this fall. Or should I just get the normal RK fins and an then a ScubaPro JetFin for the Drysuit? I currently use Atomic Blade fins I bought while living in FL and they are just awful for diving in New England, too long, flimsy and no propulsion.

Thank you,
Collin
RK3 positive buoyant, super soft therefore as mentioned above very sloppy fins.

RK3 HD negative buoyant stiffer version of it but hence blade very short they don’t provide enough propulsion as jet fins. I owned both, didn’t like both.

Currently I use Deep 6 Eddy, OMS Slipstreams and SP Jetfins. Any of them will do the job depending exposure protection and equipment configuration.

Deep6 Eddy are the best fins out there IMO in that type of fin. The Apeks are super floppy and I wouldn't recommend them. If you are planning on diving in a drysuit with backmount then you may want Scubapro Jets for the weight, but the Hollis F1's are good for that as well.
What are you're thoughts on using Scuba Pro Jet Fins with my wetsuit (taking into account my weight situation)? Would I be too heavy or would it not matter? Would ScubaPro Fins be difficult to travel with, aren't they much larger in size and heavier than other options? No?

RK3 positive buoyant, super soft therefore as mentioned above very sloppy fins.

RK3 HD negative buoyant stiffer version of it but hence blade very short they don’t provide enough propulsion as jet fins. I owned both, didn’t like both.

Currently I use Deep 6 Eddy, OMS Slipstreams and SP Jetfins. Any of them will do the job depending exposure protection and equipment configuration.
I tried on my buddies OMS slipstreams last night before a dive and the toe pocket was rather shallow, I am a size 13 shoe. They were size XXL for his dry boots so they don't get bigger. What are you're thoughts on using Scuba Pro Jet Fins with my wetsuit (taking into account my weight situation)? Would I be too heavy or would it not matter? Would ScubaPro Fins be difficult to travel with, aren't they much larger in size and heavier than other options? No?

What are you're thoughts on using Scuba Pro Jet Fins with my wetsuit (taking into account my weight situation)? Would I be too heavy or would it not matter? Would ScubaPro Fins be difficult to travel with, aren't they much larger in size and heavier than other options? No?
Jetfins are heavy, Of course can be used in wetsuit but I assume will be less then optimal.

I use D6 Eddy for single tank recreational diving as well as SM in wetsuit. Slipstreams for wet diving with doubles (Aluminum). Jetfins will be good for drysuit diving.

If you are diving wet with single tank, I think Deep 6 is way to go. Slipstreams are good compromise for all also has most generous foot pocket probably designed for 2x4 rather than human foot.

Much of it stems from your experience in the water. Jet fins will make life in doubles easier, even in a wetsuit because they're negatively buoyant, but if you have a lot of experience the Deep6 fins are perfectly fine and I think they are a much better fin. I'm still trying to convince @LandonL to get me the prototypes of the Heavy Eddies but they're not in yet...

Wish I could buy Deep 6 eddy fins , you can, but the postage is $$$ to Oz.
I have these when negative fins are required , Dive System Tech Fins.
Closer to 'the right' price.

Edit: I did not mention "I do not like SP jet fins", have never felt right, fit and comfort [for me].
dive-system-tech-fins.jpg

Apex RK3 HDs work for me, I wear booties. They're a bit more technical & probably on the more specialized side. I agree though, long blades are better for New England, it's, that here, I do a-lot of frog kicks, freshwater, spaces, lots of grasses/weeds & shore diving. Areas here don't require long fins.

Hate to say it but you gotta find a way to try them out so you know how they feel. I realize it's tough to do. Here's my 2 cents. I've size large RK3's for diving wet (5mm booty, size 10.5) I've also pair of xl HDs (mine have "Super" imprinted on bottom of the fin). In both scenarios I feel like they fit well to my feet, feel in good control with them. Anyway, the Large's are neutral to slightly buoyant. The HD's are exactly 0.74lbs (the pair) neg. When I started dry I ASSumed I needed a negative fin, so tried many, measured their buoyancy uw, etc., just so I was confident of their relative charactisics (often the listed specs not accurate). Now, I realize the opposite and so wish had less negative fin, regardless of how much I adjust air to my feet. Presently considering a lighter fin. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom