Apeks VX1 mask questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heruhur

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there anyone with some hands-on experience with this mask yet?
How's the overall quality
I'm looking for a new (black) mask to replace my transparent x-vision's and I'm interested in this mask.
Currently I use a mares x-vision liquidskin mid size mask.
I also have a x-vision spare which is normal size, but this one feels a bit too wide for my face.
So the question is, how is the VX1 shaped, does it lean more towards a wider face,
a smaller face or is is more or less avarage . . . .

Also apeks states it is italian designed and made . . . . so would it be a mares mask rebranded?

Just got mine in from England. White with UV lenses. Haven't dove yet but I tried one on prior to buying. I got because I have a larger face with a mustache and beard and the skirt on the vx1 covers my face better than my Venom which I have been having some minor leak issues with around my nose.

Not sure if I helped! I don't think it is a rebrand mares but Im not familiar enough with Mares to be sure.

I can't remember the name right now, but Aqualung bought an Italian maker of masks and fins several years ago. When they buy these specialized companies they continue to let them do what they do best, so I am sure that Apeks mask is one of theirs, not Mares or anyone else.

Oh yeah, it is Technisub.

The "regular" version in the US started shipping a few weeks ago. The UV cut version is imminent. I don't know if Canada is serviced by AL America or if there is a separate distribution network.

Hi. Just bought the Apeks VX1. (Dive shop stated Apeks was owned by Aqua Lung) Just used it for 2 days in training and it worked great. No leakage, easy to clear and didnt "squeeze" my face or press up agianst the bridge of my nose(I have a larger than average nose). I will say I have a narrow, slender face as Im 6'1" and 145 lbs so equipment sizes vary with me. Few masks Ive sized fit me and this was one of them that fit great. So far, seems to be a great mask.

Hi. I just recently purchased the Apeks XV1 mask. (Dive shop stated Apeks was owned by Aqua Lung). Just did 2 days of training with this mask and it worked great. I will say I am 6'1" and weigh 145 lbs, so my face is long and narrow/slender. Mask didnt leak, it equalized easily and didnt "squeeze" my face nor press up agianst the bridge of my nose(my nose is bigger than average). So seems to be a great mask so far. Hope that helps.

Well I pulled the trigger on this and bought one. (white one because the shop didn't have black on stock)
Used it in an hour and a half swimming pool session and I'm pleasantly surprised.
I always had some non intentional water entering my mask during a dive/pool-session.
These kept dry the entire session. And the skirt feels nice and soft.
And it comes in a great looking hardcase.

The neoprene strap, which I intended to use, sucks balls though.
The green part is the velcro part with the hooks and doesn't stick to itself.
The magenta part is the velcro part with the loops. (on the inside).
So the green only sticks to the magenta, causing the green to be a big loop.
And because the velcro hooks are opposite of each other, they make a grinding noise when using the mask.
The green part should have been half hook / half loop to be useable/non-annoying.
So the silicon strap will have to suffice for now.

I will report back after a few dives with it and see if it's still a keeper.

Hope they come to Canada soon

They are in Canada, I'v seen them at some local shops, black and white versions but no news on the UV version yet. That's the one I am waiting on..

Is there anyone with some hands-on experience with this mask yet?
How's the overall quality
I'm looking for a new (black) mask to replace my transparent x-vision's and I'm interested in this mask.
Currently I use a mares x-vision liquidskin mid size mask.
I also have a x-vision spare which is normal size, but this one feels a bit too wide for my face.
So the question is, how is the VX1 shaped, does it lean more towards a wider face,
a smaller face or is is more or less avarage . . . .

Also apeks states it is italian designed and made . . . . so would it be a mares mask rebranded?

I think Apexs makes great stuff. I have an average face and I tried one out at a local shop. It seemed to be a confortable fit and looks pretty good quality. I am planning to switch to this mask when the UV model is in stock as I like that feature. I don't think they are similar to mares but I havent seen many to compare.

Back
Top Bottom