Bonaire - Unusual & Unexpected Emergency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely good you didn't start pouring acidic fluid into the eyes. Given the circumstances, I think you did quite well. Technically the best would be to wash the eyes (and in this case face) with a solution of about 99% water and 1% salt, since that's roughly the salt concentration of tears.

I decided to hit Buddy's dock and dive their house reef. We're not staying at Buddy's but we did buy our shore / Nitrox package from them so have full access to their dock.
On another note, is the reef "owned" by Buddy Dive, or just the dock for entry? You can't privately own any access to the ocean here, nor can you own any part of the ocean or in it. You can walk along the shore all the way around the country, and no one would be able to raise an eyebrow. But I now realize that it's probably different in much of the world, which I'll need to keep in mind when I go travelling.

As to the literal eyeball, good question and bad luck, and another good reason to mind the moon phase. If I had stings on my eyelid, I’d soak a folded paper towel, soak it in vinegar and apply it, absent a better way. diluted makes sense. Good to know about the hot water, though.

On another note, is the reef "owned" by Buddy Dive, or just the dock for entry? You can't privately own any access to the ocean here, nor can you own any part of the ocean or in it. You can walk along the shore all the way around the country, and no one would be able to raise an eyebrow. But I now realize that it's probably different in much of the world, which I'll need to keep in mind when I go travelling.
Start a new thread....

Paging @Duke Dive Medicine any thoughts on a sting to the eyes?
Ouch. First thought would be to flush with copious amounts of water as was done, but salt water, not fresh, as fresh water makes jellyfish nematocysts fire. Of note, vinegar was found to make nematocysts on chironex fleckeri box jellies fire as well, so it's not advisable for use on stings from that species. Hot water is very effective on stingray envenomations but I've never heard of it being used for jellies. I'm hesitant to recommend putting hot water directly on the surface of the eye, but if it worked to denature the venom in this case, I'm happy for the diver.

Best regards,
DDM

The dock is private property and the owner can limit the access. The reef is owned by the crown and all are allowed to enjoy ( if you can access without trespassing )

Back
Top Bottom