Anti ScubaPro bias?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of you are saying that “all regulators are the same” and others are distinctly saying that “some regulators breathe better”.

There was some test out there that selected ScubaPro MK25 as the easiest breathing regulator. If that is true I might spend the extra $$ for it.

Get yourself an Atomic T3 and be done with it. They are the best regulators on the market and blow away all others. No one even comes close. You will be highly respected in the diving community when others see you with a T3. I know because I own one.

I just think you guys get ripped off with your MSRP

My Apex SM regs were $600 cheaper than you can buy in the US (before my discount)

Similarly with Aqualung

We also don't get offered a parts for life program

My Wife's Scuba Pro regs cost the same to service as my Apex and AL. While it is a cost, in relation to what else we spend on diving in a year, it's not that significant. Although we should really stop buying regs and other equipment

Get yourself an Atomic T3 and be done with it. They are the best regulators on the market and blow away all others. No one even comes close. You will be highly respected in the diving community when others see you with a T3. I know because I own one.
You'll also be known for not diving EANX greater than 40% - No thanks and at $1700, there's no wonder there's no stock at my usual UK suppliers!

My last trip, we rented from the op we dove with. They rented MK2/R295s and I was later told that they intentionally use only unbalanced regs, but I didn't get why. I do know that I wasn't a fan, and my wife was very much not a fan. She had a momentary panic at about 50 feet when she suddenly felt like she couldn't get any air. When she switched to my octo (also an R295, so...) she felt much better. Maybe her piston just stuck for a second and it freaked her out, I don't know. But my new LDS rents Atomic B2/Z2 and they are balanced at both stages. I recently did a skills update with them (because I hadn't been in the water in a few years) and two things really stuck out to me: jacket BCDs still suck, and these regs were the best I've ever used (because I have only ever used rentals). Even with a few years between dives, there was a noticeable difference.

Usually when regs breathe like crap it is because they need service or were adjusted wrong.

You will be highly respected in the diving community when others see you with a T3.

a) There is no singular thing called "the diving community"
b) In my experience, most divers are not "impressed" by any particular item of gear, with the possible exception of Shearwater DCs which some treat as a shibboleth
c) The main diver characteristics I find impressive are a sense of limits, the ability to maintain neutral buoyancy and the ability perform gas planning

But yes, if you're trying to telegraph high socioeconomic status, a T3 would be a good choice. Thorsten Veblin would be proud

Back
Top Bottom