Anti ScubaPro bias?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A slightly less poetic tack than "Deep down you want the best." was taken, long ago by Poseidon, while they marketed their Cyklon 300 -- the decades-old ad immortalized on a t-shirt . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 2.35.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 2.35.43 PM.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 55
I have noticed that there is a huge bias against ScubaPro among divers. Is it just because it costs more? I would think that diving equipment would not be something one would want to save money on.

You mean divers on scubaboard? Scubapro gear remains quite popular despite some anti bias of internet blathering. The answer is that "divers" and at least many divers, like consumers everywhere, want something for nothing and often end up with nothing for something. I have a Scubapro 109 regulator I acquired* when I was an AI for a store in about 1979 (?) or so. I can still dive that regulator and do and I can still get service parts for it. That is, what, like 40 years give or take? Most of the wonder "brands" of box factory produced regs have been on the market for a fraction of that time and some already are unsupported. Most are pretty good regulator sets and will serve well. Perceived value of and in a product is a complex thing and differs among the consumers and their priorities.

Get back with me in another 40 years, well, I will likely not be here but somebody might well inherit several of my Scubapro regs and take them diving with confidence. I value long term support and to some degree history and I realize many today do not. They want something new every few weeks and history was not their favorite subject. And they may not even remember yesterday but as a distant memory. And that is fine, for them, but not for me. Or maybe you? This is not right or wrong, it is a choice of how you perceive value.

(*)I was a Conshelf and USD/AL 1085 second stage fan (which BTW one can still get parts for and service) but the store I was engaged with was a Scubapro dealer and the owner of course wanted me to use their gear. So, reluctantly, more or less and with all my opining differently while my mouth was open complaining and whining about the unfairness of the policy, the owner stuffed a 109 in my mouth to shut me up and told me it was on the house. Okay, I guess free works :).

Get back with me in another 40 years, well, I will likely not be here

I pray to Allah that you will be around for many more decades to come my friend in all great health, peace and prosperity with your family and loved ones (and friends) doing lots of awesome diving!!!

. So, reluctantly, more or less and with all my opining differently while my mouth was open complaining and whining about the unfairness of the policy, the owner stuffed a 109 in my mouth to shut me up and told me it was on the house. Okay, I guess free works :).
You must be considerably more annoying in person than on line.

Back
Top Bottom