Another Newbie Q - wrist or console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wvjohn

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey gang, looking to put together my first setup and am wondering about the pros/cons of wrist v. console. Newly certified and trying to get good value. Looking at the atmos2 at Scubatoys - I have to use optix in my mask to read gauges already so it seems like the console would be the better choice - any thoughts?

thanks

John

Personally, having my gauges in a console would drive me nuts. I want to get info by glancing at my wrists which are already in front of me.

Hi John
Welcome to the sport and the board.

I like gauges on my wrist, and that was somewhat influenced by my training. However, there are some benefits to a console: wrist gauges get lost and they require that allow use over both wetsuit and drysuit if you have one. Not a huge deal, but every winter, I have to go searching for the wrist strap extension to my computer that allows it to fit over my larger drysuit arm.

For me, the wrist version offers more flexibility, but I can understand why some would prefer a console.

jagfish:
Hi John
Welcome to the sport and the board.

I like gauges on my wrist, and that was somewhat influenced by my training. However, there are some benefits to a console: wrist gauges get lost and they require that allow use over both wetsuit and drysuit if you have one. Not a huge deal, but every winter, I have to go searching for the wrist strap extension to my computer that allows it to fit over my larger drysuit arm.

For me, the wrist version offers more flexibility, but I can understand why some would prefer a console.

I use double loops of bungee on my gauges, so don't worry too much about losing them. Also, they fit equally well over my 7mm and drysuit. Not sure if they'd be too big on a 3mm suit. If so, that could be a bit annoying. That said, nothing to me beats bungeed gauges on my wrist.

Personally, having my gauges on my wrists would drive me nuts. I want to get info by glancing in one place and my hands are not in my face. My console is bolt snapped to to a top left D ring and it swings to a nice viewing position in an instant.

(Sorry Rainer, I couldn't resist)

I do like that the linear shape of the console makes aiming the compass a no brainer.

In order to get good viewing with your optix you might find it helpful to get a 42 HP hose.

My wife and I each have the Atmos-2 in the 3 bay console, we like it fine.

Pete

Rainer:
I use double loops of bungee on my gauges, so don't worry too much about losing them. Also, they fit equally well over my 7mm and drysuit. Not sure if they'd be too big on a 3mm suit. If so, that could be a bit annoying. That said, nothing to me beats bungeed gauges on my wrist.
Kinda hard to find a bungee option for watch models, such as the Stinger that I have. Also, I rather like wearing it as a watch.

Guages on your wrist seem to be a snag hazzard to me. I have tried them and they seem to get caught on straps when putting gear on and banged on ladders etc when climbing back on the boat.

This is a personal preference so no way is either right or wrong just a preference.

I much prefer the wrist mount (with bungee cords.) One less dangly.

And, like you, I need reading glasses. I find having the guage on the wrist makes it very easy to get it at exactly the right focal length.

On a related note, you might check out the Mares ESA mask. It has two bottom lens that can be switched to whatever diopter you need. It is much easier to see out of than the stick on lens. (And, if you need corrective lens for distance, you can do that as well.)

wow - thanks for all the input!

one other issue I'm looking at which is minor is cost - console setup seems somewhat cheaper

wvjohn:
wow - thanks for all the input!

one other issue I'm looking at which is minor is cost - console setup seems somewhat cheaper

First rule of scuba: ignore the costs! :D

In all seriousness, just be sure you get what you want the first time. It's a lot more expensive to buy and replace than to get what really works for you the first time. (This coming from someone who has gone through... Oh, never mind. I'll just start sobbing about all the discarded gear.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom