Dive Computer wrist mount or console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KC2828

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello
I will be purchasing a dive computer prior to diving come spring. I am looking at either a console or a wrist mount (no transmitter) and pressure gauge with compass attached. I was wondering if my fellow diver could list the pros and cons of each to help me decide.

Thanks

You can take wrist mount and mask anywhere and rent the rest if needed.

Wrist mount all the way. Have dived with each set-up and wrist mount is much more convenient and the info you need is just a quick glance away.

I prefer both. I use a Shearwater Perdix ai wrist mount and an Aqualung i300c as a backup console mount.

I think you will find you will look at your wrist first and it doesn’t matter what brand you have, it’s just natural to go to your wrist first then your console/backup.

As far as pro’s and cons go.

Wrist mount pro: it is compact, goes where your arm goes doesn’t hang, is convenient and easy to see and get to.

Wrist mount con: Can’t think of any other than straps or surgical tubing. Be cognizant that if the straps break you could lose your computer.

Console mount pro: it is directly attached via hose to a SPG your compass, SPG and dive computer are in a console and are convenient to look at. Cost of this system is typically lower than a wrist mounted computer.

Console mount con: it is attached via hose. Usually either hanging down while diving or stowed in a BCD pocket, can be hard to get to and can be a reef hazard if left unattended. The hose can be cut and cause an bailout issue although very rare.

I’m sure there are more and really at the end of the day my opinion is this. Old technology works, is inexpensive and is usable in today’s environment as it has been proven from years of use in the diving community. Wrist mounted computers are a “newer” technology as is air integration. The expense of the newer technology is usually more expensive but can be had on a budget, but you need to do some homework.

I use old and new and find that I look at my wrist very prominently vs the console. I like redundancy but some folks don’t.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Good luck

Glenn

I believe in having two computers and to satisfy both sides, one each. However, not every computer manufacturer produces computer for console mount.
I dive with two wrist mount computers incidentally. And I share the same sentiment with Michael J(#8).

Your choice.

The all in one console ends up either too large or too crowded. Anything that has everything you are looking for is long, fat, or packing too much into too small of a space. Since you are looking for non-integrated computers there is no need to stick one on a hose.

My favorite compass uses a little bungee and goes on the back of the hand, on the few times I need it. I've used it once in the past dozen dives. Nice option to leave it behind when not needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom