AngieD and galscuba--Okie Invasion-CSSP 7/16-7/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting ready for the trip and was hoping to get a few tips on camping at CCSP. Will be staying in a tent and I am woundering if they have camp grills, electric hook ups for lights, do I need lanterns, etc. Any advice would be helpful.

Just finished a 2 tank dive at Sterns Island on Travis. Very busy with boats. Can not wait to not have that sound over me. Looking forward to clearer water and diving with new people.

TwoBitTxn:
Two good looking scuba babes making a road trip to see a mud hole in Texas and we can only muster 3 single guys.

I'll be in Athens working a class that weekend. Yall have fun.

TwoBit
make that 4 guys i will try to be there.

freshwaterdiver:
Just finished a 2 tank dive at Sterns Island on Travis. Very busy with boats. Can not wait to not have that sound over me. Looking forward to clearer water and diving with new people.

Wish I could help you with your camping questions, but I've never camped there and can't be very useful. However, in case you haven't been there before, you will be using porta-potties and no showerhouses (yet, they are working on some.) So I would take baby wipes and a couple gallons of water to use for washing. Set it in the sun, it'll be nice and warm when it's time for your "shower." FYI.

I also was struck by your thoughts about not having boat traffic sound over you when you dive. It reminded me that I take it for granted, with a lot of my dives being done at CSSP. I'm also spoiled to long bottom times by diving there, I love to stay down as long as I have air. Hovering around 20'-25' will usually give you the vis you need, while staying warm above the thermo and cool below. My last dive there was great, with around 20-30 mins at 8-12' cruising above the hydrilla beds, for a safety stop. :wink: So many fish were playing around the S/SW shoreside beds, from 1/4" hatchlings, massive perchana and bass, and several huge 2-3' catfish, who were very curious about us. They followed for quite some time, but were shy if we stopped to watch them sneak up on us.

Can you tell I'm dry-docked for a while? I'm surely remininscing instead of diving. I gotta keep telling myself- it's not forever, it's not forever, it's not...

Foo

Thanks FOO for the tips. Very hot and no showers? Gives sponge bath a new meaning. I will bring several gallons of water just to wash off.

It is stories like yours that is bringing me northeast. I love my home lake but have dove it so much it is getting old. Dove several new spots but the drunk idiots in the boats makes it hard to dive the spots outside the two dive parks on Travis.

Sure hope you guys don't mind the "invasions" in a few weeks. Okies and Central Texans in one place????? Promise I will be an Angel.

Hey foo! Thank you so much for the info...it's good to know. I'll also load up on a few gallons--It's good to know that we'll meet some new friends out there! This is going to be very exciting! I can't wait to get there...I can probably come up with a small camp grill if anyone wants to join us at our tent for hotdogs or burgers!

Angie

I have a small grill that we can take with us. It is a little Keg-O-Cue that looks like a keg. :) I have never used it, but apparently it runs off of propane, so we will just get some propane before we go. I also have lots of camping "stuff". Beer, dive gear, camping gear, and food. Those are the essentials - What else is there? HA!

Sounds like a great time, wish I could plan to be there. We will be in San Antonio that weekend (karate tourn- my husband has a dojo & competition team) so will be soaking up some of the local flavor, if ya know what I mean! I hope yall have a great time diving and meeting the nut... I mean the Swampdivers. I know you will, hope the vis cooperates also. Please come back, I'll be diving in a few weeks.
Foo

AngieD and Galscuba,

if you don't mind hanging with a Central Texan, I was planning on bringing a gas grill (KISS is what my daddy always told me). I am going to bring two tents in case someone needs an extra. Also an air matress (too old for the bare ground). I have several lanterns, many coolers, etc. Also going to bring a portable awning or as I call it my portable shade tree. tarps for the gear and a truck load of tanks.

For the regulars whos home we are invading:

Do they allow night dives at CCSP?
What is the camping areas like?
How crowded does the camping get?
What is the average number of divers on a given weekend?

Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to meeting a few new divers.

freshwaterdiver:

1. Yea, they allow night dives on Fri. and Sat. nites. Check out the message board on their website more info....... http://www.clearspringsscubapark.com/
2. There is a dedicated camping area, but I think it's more for rv type campers. If you don't want an electric hook-up, I believe your options of where to camp are wide open. The ground is kinda rocky in spots and shade trees are pretty sparse. Remember, this is an old rock pit and up until a couple of years ago it was also a cow pasture.
3. I've never camped, but I have been at the park pretty late. As darkness falls it has been my experience that the park mostly clears out. I don't like you'll have any problem with over-crowding.
4. Depends, the bulk of the divers out there are with a class. But, I have seen the place packed with probably a couple hundred folks. As far as individuals diving for fun, maybe 40-50 on a really busy weekend.

Hope that helped, I'm out there most Saturday mornings, so if you have more questions I'll try to answer them.............................................

freshwaterdiver:
AngieD and Galscuba,

if you don't mind hanging with a Central Texan, I was planning on bringing a gas grill (KISS is what my daddy always told me). I am going to bring two tents in case someone needs an extra. Also an air matress (too old for the bare ground). I have several lanterns, many coolers, etc. Also going to bring a portable awning or as I call it my portable shade tree. tarps for the gear and a truck load of tanks.

Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to meeting a few new divers.

Number one,,,you are not invading anyones home---lol,,,we are all 'kin' when it comes to diving---your always welcome here!!! Yes you may night dive at CSSP......camping areas are fine for tents.........never real crowded for overnight camping for the most part..........to the number of divers in the park,,,it varies,,,,but it is a good sized scuba park and you can always find a spot and water to dive,no problem....basically a good value for protected inland diving.

Back
Top Bottom