An objective way to eyeball someone's skill level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyway, in these cases, it would be nice to have an "algorithm" that you could plug numbers in and it would spit out some approximate measure of someone's skill level.

To create a useful "dive skill index" simply divide the cubic ft of their spare air by the number of retractors on their BCD.

You have to dive with someone to assess their skills --and you have to dive with them a lot, in all kinds of conditions.

For example, diving in the Caribbean is one thing. Diving in the Northeast US is something very different. A hundred Caribbean dives may sound like a reasonable number, but someone who does 20 winter dives off the coast of New England may have higher skills because of the complexity of the dives.

There are other factors as well, such as additonal training; wetsuit vs. drysuit; etc.

Jeff

If you're diving with someone for the first time, you only need to know their skill level for the conditions you're diving that day. Who cares if they've never dived in cold water if you're diving in the Sulu Sea?
We would take divers out on checkout dives before taking them to a popular spot in SE Asia, known for strong currents and sharks etc,. That's the only way to get a feel for their skills and air consumption in your local conditions. Some weren't ready for the 100 foot, rapid decent, and it was good to know that before you were 50 feet down attempting that dive.

I think their mannerisms under water and their ability to think clearly is the most important. You can usually tell by a persons personality on dry land what kind of diver they are, but then there are a few who might surprise you.

When I dive with my friends, I usually pair up with the ones who don't make any sudden or jerky movements and who can remain calm in a current, bad visibility, etc. They don't normally move in erratic patterns and they stay on course. I call them the "slowly but surely" people. I also look for someone who checks their computer/gauges frequently. A lot of times I find that people wait until their computer beeps to tell them something...and then find out their in deep s*#&.

Difficult question to answer. I think it is impossible to determine someone's "skill" level through conversation. On the other hand, it would seem unfair to judge them by certain habits that have been formed over several dives. For instance, someone mentioned handing a mask up quickly, this may simply be a created habit for a diver with 10,000 dives and 30 years of experience. It says little about a diver's skill level just because they don't conform to the current industry practices. The most effective way to determine skill level would be to dive with the person and go through skill sets that correlate to your objective.

Take a look at their gear. If they are very proud of it.. well you have a problem. If their gear is all new, that is a bad sign: if it is all new AND made by a single manufacturer, that is a big problem (unless they are dive instructors and that is a whole nuther issue).

If their gear is old, and out dated and in perfect condition, that means they never dive or they are cheap bastards and bought a bunch of used gear off someone who doesn't dive. (You can figure out what that means).

If their gear is kinda old, faded, moderately beat up, they are less than 30 pounds overweight and they indicate that they go diving often, those are all good signs.

If they tell you what certification cards they have (in the first 5 minutes of casual conversation) then that is not a good sign.

Seriously, you might just ask them when the last time they dove at THIS site and how many times total at THIS site. If they have survived a bunch of dives recently at the currently proposed dive site, they will probably surive one more if you go with them.:D:D

You have to dive with someone to assess their skills --and you have to dive with them a lot, in all kinds of conditions.

For example, diving in the Caribbean is one thing. Diving in the Northeast US is something very different. A hundred Caribbean dives may sound like a reasonable number, but someone who does 20 winter dives off the coast of New England may have higher skills because of the complexity of the dives.

There are other factors as well, such as additonal training; wetsuit vs. drysuit; etc.

Jeff

This may be true, but if you are going to dive with them in warm clear water, who cares if they are so unccordinated that they can't ski or ice skate like normal people (and have to resort to winter diving in New England) for fun.

For tropical diving, a Quick & Dirty indicator is whether and how often they use their hands to turn, adjust trim, etc. For the most skilled tropical divers, the answer is "never."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom