An objective way to eyeball someone's skill level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cold_water

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I regularly see the "how many dives have you done" and the "what's the deepest dive you've ever done?" threads with the usual answers that basically say "You can't judge someone's skill level only by how deep he went."

I was just wondering what people would suggest if they had to devise a good "algorithm" to objectively eyeball someone's skill level. I realize the best way to gauge someone's skill level is probably to have a chat face to face. Knowing this, sometimes it's difficult or impossible. If you're going on a trip and you're planning to dive there with someone you don't know, for example. I find it also difficult sometimes when you're not necessarily very experienced to gauge someone else's skill level. You just haven't seen it all and can't necessarily realize what kind of person you're dealing with. I learned this the hard way when I had to tow a freaking out insta-buddy up current in the St-Lawrence river for a half hour. At least, I got some good exercise out of it.

Anyway, in these cases, it would be nice to have an "algorithm" that you could plug numbers in and it would spit out some approximate measure of someone's skill level.

Some of the criteria some people naturally use and that would/might be good to take into account could include:

-How long since you started diving
-how long since your last dive
-total number of dives
-number of dives per year
-certification level

some that I was thinking could be taken into account could be
-(average?) depth of your 10% deepest dives
-...?

Then somehow magically assigning points, adding up and coming up with some form of objective assessment for what your skill level is. I'm not saying this could generate the absolute answer and that people would start saying "Ah ah! Your 5 points below me, I'm not going to dive with you for sure", but at least it could give some sort of impression of how skilled a diver is.

In any case, just fishing for ideas here. What do you all think?

I think the only real test of being absolutely certain of someone's skill level is to actually dive with them, or witness in the water a dive with them. Divers can be very good in clear water, but freak out in low vis. They can be fine on a drift dive, but not have the stamina when they have to fight current on a dive. I would say easy diving like in clear, warm water is not an indicator of how good a diver's skills are in cold, dark water. Unless a diver has experience in the type of diving that he plans to do, he is not going to know either for himself, or anyone else.

You can tell plenty by observation. A good diver is organized. One who sets up his gear in a efficient manner and has everything ready-to-go early, is probably going to dive well.

The diver that needs help getting set up, can't find an item, or needs to borrow something is one to avoid.

No algolrythm here. Many will agree this works.

I'd have to say total number of recent dives, and how long it's been since the last dive are the two biggest indicators I watch for. Higher certification level is no guarantee of higher skill levels, total number of dives can mean little if it's been a while.

Just an observation from captaining a dive boat, you can pretty much tell who the most experienced/comfortable divers are when they're coming out of the water without seeing them actually dive. This is gonna sound stupid, it's definitely a generalization...

How long one keeps their mask on their face after they surface.

Inexperienced divers are generally handing up the mask immediately, then going after their camera gear or fins. More experienced or comfortable divers, more often than not, reverse the order, the more experienced and comfortable a diver is, the longer the mask stays on the face or is turned backward on the head yet stays on.

Beware of divers that go on and on about what great divers they are.

oh yeahhhhhhhh

on saturday hubby and i arrived at a site - there was only 1 other diver there waiting for his buddys to show up

this guy would have been the airplane passenger from hell, the second we are out of the car he is talking to us, telling us he hasnt dived for a year, his suit doest fit and is tight, he is so unfit, he hopes he got all his gear, looks at hubbys rebreather and says thats a funny system you have there, goes back to how he hasnt dived for a year and how much he was looking forward to just getting in the water

i take one of these divers over a diver that is very loud about how great they are anyday

You can tell plenty by observation. A good diver is organized. One who sets up his gear in a efficient manner and has everything ready-to-go early, is probably going to dive well.

The diver that needs help getting set up, can't find an item, or needs to borrow something is one to avoid.

No algolrythm here. Many will agree this works.

Agreed. Watching a diver as he/she "suits-up" and assembles gear can provide a lot of info.

While I've seen a few people who are disorganized & fumbling around a bit on the surface as they set up their gear transform into "fish" once underwater, this is the exception.

And length of time diving and certification level can also be misleading, and may or may not be a good indicator.

Using myself as an example, I was certified over 30 years ago, but took a loooong break from diving for career and family. So when I finally returned to diving about a year ago, you better believe I was very rusty. It took a few dives with my "modern" equipment to re-learn good bouyancy skills, etc. (did not use a BC when I began diving).

Safe Diving!

Just an observation from captaining a dive boat, you can pretty much tell who the most experienced/comfortable divers are when they're coming out of the water without seeing them actually dive. This is gonna sound stupid, it's definitely a generalization...

How long one keeps their mask on their face after they surface.

Woohoo, finally a category where I at least seem to score high - I take my mask off when I collect my specs from helm :D

I know this might not go so well for newbies but gut feeling tells a lot after listening to/corresponding with someone. Attitude matters to me a lot more than number of dives, and definitely “how often” and “how recently” plus where one dived means more than “how many” and “how deep”. Actually anyone trying to hook up for rec dives and going on about depth is actually going to get minus points from me. And I agree, “super divers” get automatic minus points as well as people who giggle&brag about all the incidents/accidents they have been involved with.

I usually tell people I am just a beginning diver. Then they will take care of me better. Then if I looked better than a beginner, they will compliment on how good of a diver I am. Which I really am not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom