An objective way to eyeball someone's skill level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:shakehead: Try to make a serious comment and you yahoos get all silly on me...

Further divide by the length of their knife.
adjust for # of snorkels

(((ft*ft*ft)/#ret)/Length of Knife)/2.15*#snorkels

Actually, I'd replace #snorkels with "xmas_f" - the Christmas factor - defined as the sum total of dangling, flapping and entrapping objects hanging from a diver.

Actually, I'd replace #snorkels with "xmas_f" - the Christmas factor - defined as the sum total of dangling, flapping and entrapping objects hanging from a diver.
It's actually already in the equation as number of retractors (#ret) but we could always square that I guess :)
New formula: (((ft x ft x ft)/(#ret x #ret))/Length of Knife)/2.15 x #snorkels

Seriously there is no way that you can tell that they will be safe for you as a buddy until you dive with them and see how they are and if they fit in with your style of diving. You might be able to tell that they are unsafe by talking to them and seeing if they care about YOU, not just themselves.

I agree, what I was after was a way to tell you'd even want to give that particular buddy a try. I guess my thinking is there are

--divers who would be good buddies and divers who would not be good buddies.

Then there are

--divers I would try to buddy with and divers I would not even bother

How do I separate the divers according to the latter 2 categories to know which ones to buddy with and see how to divide them according to the former 2 categories.

Wow, that makes no sense. I should never post on scubaboard before breakfast. :wink:

I agree, what I was after was a way to tell you'd even want to give that particular buddy a try. I guess my thinking is there are

Well, the ones to avoid are those with an unsafe attitude (which is pretty much how GI3 actually defines "strokes"). It doesn't matter how good someone's dive skills are if they're 50m away and swimming hard when your first stage blows an O-ring.

You can probably best determine their attitude by talking to them...

Many actual split fin users would disagree.

I gave them a shot, but it could just be my technique. Are any of the "many" willing to post some video of their back kick? I'd be genuinely interested in seeing it done.

Nice back kick! :wink:

I don't know why, but I'm going to put the splits back on and give the back kick another try in them. I'll video the results this weekend and post along with the same kick in paddles. Well, I'll post the results as long as they support my position. I don't mind being wrong, but I draw the line at pointing out my own errors.
I look forward to the new thread with relish:popcorn:
Relish this. :wink:

To create a useful "dive skill index" simply divide the cubic ft of their spare air by the number of retractors on their BCD.

I like that. A truly objective method.

Back
Top Bottom