" Am I Qualified?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
I haven't dived the Oriskany but from what I've read the flight deck is at 137 feet?

Are charters taking AOW (non-tech) divers there and, if so, how are they conducting these dives?

Based on what little I know about it, the dive you'd get trying to do it as a no-stop dive doesn't sound like it would be worth the boat ride.

Superstructure starts at 65'ish, there's more than you have time to see at rec limits with the typical two tank dive.

It was worth the boat ride for me and I can't wait to do it again.

AOW isnt intended to mean that you are an "advanced" diver, only that you are a "Advanced Open Water" Diver. Its like part 2 of OW, basically an advanced beginner. Also, keep in mind, most divers never dive much after initial OW, so people who have taken AOW are realtively advanced compared to the average diver.

Regardless of what your certification level is or what dive op you choose, I strongly encourage everyone to utilize the services of a professional Divemaster to show you around the Oriskany. Well worth the investment, a good DM will point out things you may overlook , show you a few cool swim-throughs and help you maximize your "once in a lifetime trip" to the Oriskany. They'll also be on hand to help in case of emergency or safety concerns. This way, it doesn't matter whether you have a thousand dives or ten, you'll still be qualified to have a great dive on the O.

So for future reference, what's the cost for a dive charter to the "O"? What's the additional cost for a DM?

What is the viz and current like on the O? I want to do a photmerge of her laying on the bottom would it even be possible?

Mike,
The farther east you go from the mouth of the MS river the better the bad days get, and the worse the good days get. Offshore pensacola can have 150' to about 10' vis depending on river plume locaton. Once the loop currrent comes in to play this summer you could easily get a good day or three. That should be near late May, June or early July. Just catch it before the summer bloom kicks in.

the viz lately has been around the 80-100 foot range. From the edge of the flight deck you can clearly see the entire island. There have been a few days when the currents have made the dive more difficult for some, but most days it's a non issue.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on the Oriskany since I'm out there almost every week.

Viz on the "O" is typically great. I went in June of last year and was treated to amazing viz. I was standing on top of the Nav Bridge at 106 to 110 fsw and was looking straight up and could see the waves at the surface...it was incredible. Everyone I have talked to told me how great the viz was and how great their experience was on the "O". You definitely don't have to go to the flight deck to get a good dive. In fact I can't really see any good reason to see it...it's flat!!!!! There is so much great structure between the 65 to even 100 fsw range that you could enjoy many, many dives in this area and come back grining from ear to ear at your experience.:D I entered the Pri-Fly Bridge at the rear of the smoke stack at I believe 85 fsw and it was just awesome. There are huge widows in it that are large enough to swim through (I easily got through with my 235 pound rear end and w/ my 80 cu ft tank and 19 cu ft pony).
I have heard that there has been some current that people have experienced out on the Oriskany, but not enough for it to be a problem. When I went down on my first dive there was absolutely no current what-so-ever. On my second dive there was just a little, nothing to worry about though. Even if there was some decent current there are great hand holds on the the structure itself. If you haven't dove the "O" yet trust me you need to, she will not disapoint.

Also, Oriskany Dive Master I think I will be giving you a call this summer. My normal dive buddy is always too wishy-washy, I think it would be cool to go out and have a great time diving the "O". You use Blue Water Adventures as your primary charter right?

My group will be going in March, I am really looking forward to it!

Back
Top Bottom