" Am I Qualified?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
How about a check out dive? Seeing someone in the water is a great gauge of skills.

If I were going somewhere to do a dive like the Speigal Grove or the Oriskany, and the shop wanted to charge me an extra $50-70 to go on a checkout dive first, I'd find another operator.

SuPrBuGmAn:
If I were going somewhere to do a dive like the Speigal Grove or the Oriskany, and the shop wanted to charge me an extra $50-70 to go on a checkout dive first, I'd find another operator.

Same here, In that case I feel like I should charge them and give them a check-out dive.

AL

Good point. I was thinking more of Resort diving where you are staying for a while and they take you on an easy dive first and not just doing one dive.

SuPrBuGmAn:

BTDT, but sometimes there IS no other operator. The shop to shop collusion concerning Grove trips meant I had to pay for a divemaster I didn't need, and then put up with his foolishness and silting up of the wreck. After 2 dive days in the keys I left and went back up to Boca for some decent diving without the hassles.

When I'm paying for a charter slot I want a taxi ride, period! The crew can keep their hands off my gear or pull back a stub! At the most I want a short briefing on reef layout and expected currents, fully recognizing that the current part is an average number and what we get is what we have to deal with.

Fred, as much as DMs would love to NOT swap out your tank after coming up from a dive when the seas are tossing 3-5 feet, we'd have six people moving around on the deck at once trying to change tanks. And between falling over each other and leaning over the boat to hurl somebody's going to get hurt. Sometimes what appears to be a courtesy including extended briefings, and tank swapping is mainly an act of saftey to keep ops running smoothly. Not everyone on the boat has the diving prowess you imply you possess, so as a professional divemaster who gives briefings, swaps tanks, it's my job to make sure everyone gets back safely....including the knuckleheads we would all rather leave behind.

Pull back a stub....really.

Oriskany Divemaster:
Fred, as much as DMs would love to NOT swap out your tank after coming up from a dive when the seas are tossing 3-5 feet, we'd have six people moving around on the deck at once trying to change tanks. And between falling over each other and leaning over the boat to hurl somebody's going to get hurt. Sometimes what appears to be a courtesy including extended briefings, and tank swapping is mainly an act of saftey to keep ops running smoothly. Not everyone on the boat has the diving prowess you imply you possess, so as a professional divemaster who gives briefings, swaps tanks, it's my job to make sure everyone gets back safely....including the knuckleheads we would all rather leave behind.

Pull back a stub....really.

You just lost a potential customer.

I must admit that I use a charter more for a taxi ride than anything else. However, I don't mind if the crew/DM helps me put on my fins, BC, whatever. Matter of fact if they switched out my tank they are going to get a big high five, a good tip, a good reference to other customers, and future business from me. The best charters I have been on have always geared themselves to make to trip fun and make an experience. I would have to say I think it would be great to have a paid DM on the boat who was there to make the trip as fun as it can be. I plan on diving with the Oriskany Dive Master this summer to check things out. I never dove with a DM who was there strickly for me.

All I expect or want of a charter is a boat ride, be put reasonably close to the dive site, a brief discription if I am new to it and for the boat to be there when I surface. I'll handle the gear and dive planning. I dived for many years back in the 70's and 80's with Capt. Malcolm Patterson and the charter boat Triton out of Destin and that is how he operated. He retired from the charter business in the mid 80's and we stay in contact. I believe one of his two former boats is still operating out of Destin by one of the shops.

When I get on a charter and the captain and crew kind of give the sit down, shut up, get your *** in the water, and lets get back to shore I feel slated a bit. I'm not only paying for an uncomfortable seat, I expect some service as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom