" Am I Qualified?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captain:
You just lost a potential customer.

:shakehead

For simply defending his job? Com'on now...

Not all DM's are created equally, some take it seriously... other's don't. Read up on the reports other's have posted on Oriskany DM's tours and accomplishments, perhaps that will shed some light on things.

Oriskany Divemaster:
Fred, as much as DMs would love to NOT swap out your tank after coming up from a dive when the seas are tossing 3-5 feet, we'd have six people moving around on the deck at once trying to change tanks. And between falling over each other and leaning over the boat to hurl somebody's going to get hurt. Sometimes what appears to be a courtesy including extended briefings, and tank swapping is mainly an act of saftey to keep ops running smoothly. Not everyone on the boat has the diving prowess you imply you possess, so as a professional divemaster who gives briefings, swaps tanks, it's my job to make sure everyone gets back safely....including the knuckleheads we would all rather leave behind.

Pull back a stub....really.

I agree in bad weather or rough seas there is nothing worse or more dangerous than a bunch of people moving about the deck. As for Captains remarks on take me to the dive and keep it short i think hes forgetting hes not the only person on the boat, there may not be divers with your experience. I'm not keen on other people setting up my gear, but i'm not going to have a fit about it. I just say thank you and re-adjust my gear to my standards.

SuPrBuGmAn:
:shakehead

For simply defending his job? Com'on now...

Not all DM's are created equally, some take it seriously... other's don't. Read up on the reports other's have posted on Oriskany DM's tours and accomplishments, perhaps that will shed some light on things.

My rules are my rules just like his rules are his rules, I don't have a problem with him doing what he feel he has to do. I was a dive charter operator at one time, I briefed my divers on the site and and if someone asked for help he got it. But I did not touch anyone's gear other than to hand them something. People make the comment all the time, it's life support equiptment, well it's my life so I prefer to be the only one who handles it. I also don't dive rental gear other than a tank. My rules have served me well. If he doesn,t want me walking around all he has to do is hand me a full tank and take the empty.

LOL OK, so you have your own gear and you rent nothing but tanks, thats nice and all, but it has nothing to do with anything. Like I said, everyone is gonna do things there own way - you did it your way, while others have a more hands on approach.

If you just want your full tank handed to you, I doubt any DM is giong to deny you that as long as you don't end up flopping around on the deck. What makes you think that you'll get denied that, even if they typically will hook the tanks up themselves? You're not really giving people a chance. :mooner:

SuPrBuGmAn:
LOL OK, so you have your own gear and you rent nothing but tanks, thats nice and all, but it has nothing to do with anything. Like I said, everyone is gonna do things there own way - you did it your way, while others have a more hands on approach.

If you just want your full tank handed to you, I doubt any DM is giong to deny you that as long as you don't end up flopping around on the deck. What makes you think that you'll get denied that, even if they typically will hook the tanks up themselves? You're not really giving people a chance. :mooner:

As long as it's agreed apon before we leave the dock no problem, just don't surprise me with something at the dive site.

Come on Guys we are all mostly adults here. I do appreciate crew and DM's who go out of their way to please and service their customers. I used to crew dive boats occasionally about 20 years ago. I know those tips are very appreciated and have no problem giving generous tips when they are earned.

And we all know that there are real knuckleheads diving out there. We have all seen them. I understand Captain's point. I have been diving a long time and resent it when guys that were born after I certified to dive are treating me like a knucklehead, telling me how to dive, and pawing my gear. However I have run into few operations that treat me that way and when they do I give them a general rebuff and if they don't take the hint then that is the last time I do business with them.

AL

Oriskany Divemaster:
Fred, as much as DMs would love to NOT swap out your tank after coming up from a dive when the seas are tossing 3-5 feet, we'd have six people moving around on the deck at once trying to change tanks. And between falling over each other and leaning over the boat to hurl somebody's going to get hurt. Sometimes what appears to be a courtesy including extended briefings, and tank swapping is mainly an act of saftey to keep ops running smoothly. Not everyone on the boat has the diving prowess you imply you possess, so as a professional divemaster who gives briefings, swaps tanks, it's my job to make sure everyone gets back safely....including the knuckleheads we would all rather leave behind.

Pull back a stub....really.

If people can't manage their gear given the sea conditions then conditions are to rough for the divers you have on board.

I guess I'm a bit sheltered. Most of my charter diving is in the great lakes and I have yet to have anyone swap out my doubles for me and we get some pretty rough seas. Six divers on a pretty small boat is pretty common too. We might help each other a bit because sometimes it's rough enough that you have to hang on to something just to keep from getting tossed overboard but everyone sees to their own gear.

Please note. I dive ALL my own gear, including tanks. I don't dive aluminum, and am not ballasted for it. My gear is arranged in the manner I LEARNED HOW TO USE IT Back before the dive master was born and PADI tied to "standardize" it. No I don't want my guage console on my left side TYVM and the reg doesn't have an octo FOR A REASON! Learning that lesson almost cost me my life! My first reg had ONE HP port and two low pressure ports, with one of them labeled "tool". When I need to see my gages they appear in my RIGHT hand, the same way my knife does, without conscious thought about it. I spent 10 years diving that reg almost every day, and still configure my gear that way. When I'm not hunting I may accept some "boat suggested" gear changes, but not normally. That monster speargun is part of my ballst equation and I'm NOT leaving it on deck unless that is arranged AT THE TIME THE CHARTER IS BOOKED and I have time to adjust my ballast.

I have had my second tank used by those who consider all tanks rentals (including the dive master in question). I've had dive masterS turn my air OFF just as I entered the water very negative. No, I won't be surfacing so the next diver can drop right on me so please hand me my gun NOW! No, it is not OK to loan out my "spare weightbelt" to the fool that decided to leave his in the car. The horror stores of the bonehead actions of "divemasters" messing with my gear over the last 38 years would amaze you and is much too long to type in this weekend even if I had nothing else to do.

I expect the deckhand/dive master to take my gun when I pass it up to him unloaded and butt first, and help haul the stringer on deck if it's full. I expect him to see that "others" on the boat keep their mitts off my gear on deck when I'm submerged. Beyond that level of service I'd rather he/she just got out of the way. That earns a tip. Hassling me on deck costs them money at the end of the day, and probably a filleted AJ or cobia steak sized for them and their date/wife if my luck was good and they wanted it.

FT

Sorry to be off the board for the day, but I was diving....(3 dives, 4 shots, 60lbs of grouper) Personal dive, so no one touched anybody's gear but their own. I do confess, however I did help my buddy with his tank once.

Here's my take on the whole thing. I understand the whole "leave my gear alone" agrument, and that's why there's a balance. I always have people set their gear up on the deck before we shove off. That allows me to assess whether they know what they're doing or not and to make sure they have it set up the way they like it and not the way I like mine. Some like different tank heights, etc...I've also seen some guys with the regs on the left. I simply verfiy to make sure it's how they want it and leave it at that. That way when i do swap it out, I know how they like it.

When we reach the site, I heft their BC/Tank (doubles and rebreathers included) onto jumpseat. They slide in, and I help them with any buckles they need attached. Sometimes folks get excited and put the mask on before their bc which limits their view. I then offer positive control so they don't slip, fall, get caught by a wave until they reach the gunwhale.

The next time I touch the gear is when they're being swapped out...and that's for the reasons stated earlier. As always if someone wants to do it theirselves, they certainly may. (Sometimes if I was out too late the night before, everyone changes out their tanks and I hold an auction to see which cute little scuba hotties gets to change out mine...but that's another story.)

The thought behind all this is to get in the water quickly, safely, and with minimum number of accidents. Practically speaking, doing it this way usually allows the divers to get their second Oriskany dive finished just as the Cluster Boats are arriving. And that makes the difference between seeing the wreck with six people, or with sixty.

Make no mistake, I'm no zealot. Dive the way you want. Just let me know your plans in case something goes wrong. I have three basic rules. Back on the boat with 500 psi., do a safety stop, and have the best dive you can. We don't limit bottom time if you have a computer, but there's no deco on rec dives for obvious reasons. (One "experienced" knucklehead had an hour and a half DECO commitment because his non-tech computer didn't give him credit with he switched to 75%O2 on his stop. We had to cancel the afternoon charter because this guy couldn't think beyond his own mask.)

When it comes down to it, it's my job to make sure everyone gets back safely. I'm responsible for the divers, and I'd rather be on the witness stand saying, "Yes, your honor, I gave a solid briefing," rather than "Well,gee, your honor, they looked like they've been diving awhile."

So while I'd love to just swim around, kill a few nice fish while you're checking out the wreck, and then collect tips for doing absolutely nothing, I have to think beyond my own mask and make sure you have a better experience than you expected.

Now, if you'll excuse me, some cute little scuba hottie wants to change my tank...and I just might let her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom