" Am I Qualified?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis:
Oriskany Dive Master I think I will be giving you a call this summer. My normal dive buddy is always too wishy-washy, I think it would be cool to go out and have a great time diving the "O". You use Blue Water Adventures as your primary charter right?

Thanks, wjefferis. I look forward to diving with you. PM me anytime, and we'll get you back out there. I'll show you some pretty cool things on the O, so I think you'll have a blast. Blue Water Adventures is the boat I dive with in Pensacola. Captain Dave has a fast 29 ft Cat that gets us out there in an hour and fifteen minutes. We're ususally the first boat there so you'll get to experiece the wreck with just 4 or 5 of your boatmates. And on most days we're finishing our second dive as the cluster boats roll in, and back at the dock by noon so you'll have the rest of the day to enjoy Pensacola.

Again, thanks.

Is there anything to enjoy in Pensecola?? :) I'll be comming down in the Summer I hope to stay with my Uncle that lives on Perdido Bay. Hopefully I can get a charter to get out to the O.

GA Under Water:
Is there anything to enjoy in Pensecola?? :) I'll be comming down in the Summer I hope to stay with my Uncle that lives on Perdido Bay. Hopefully I can get a charter to get out to the O.

Check out my website. There are links to different things to do. One place I take all my out of town guests is to the Naval Aviation Museum. That place is incredible. Even if you don't like airplanes, (and I just couldn't understand that) the history is amazing.

Perfect day:
Diving the Oriskany
Lunch at the Fish House
Naval Aviation Museum
Resting up for a late night
Great dinner somewhere downtown
Staying out late at Seville

Damn, that just sounded like my personal ad...Anyway, there's a lot to do down here.

....seeks SF who likes long walks on the beach, puppies, motorcycles, daisies, rainy afternoons under the covered wrap-around porch...

It depends on what you find interesting. I would recommend that you book in advance to get out on the "O" during the summer. You can usually find a boat easily, but don't wait one day out and think you are going to get a spot.:no Pensacola has great beaches and local events thoughout the summer. Check out www.visitpensacolabeach.com and for local info check out http://www.visitpensacola.com/ these two sites should give you a pretty good idea of whats going on in P-cola. I hope you enjoy your trip and have a great dive on the Oriskany.:snorkels:

algulfdiver:
1) How do you convince a Dive Operator (Boat or Shop) that You are Qualified to do a certain Dive?
Short of filling out a form with my cert#, having some (usually) enjoyable conversation with the crew, and doing my usual pre-dive setup and checkout, I don't do anything unusual to convince dive operators of my qualifications. Most times, I don't have a logbook with me, as I rarely write anything in it anymore, and have never been asked for it except by instructors who wanted to sign something. The only time anyone even inquires about my qualifications is when I ask the crew on a recreational boat if they mind me doing deco.
algulfdiver:
2) What do you say is equivalent to AOW? (as how many dives and how deep)
Since I did AOW right after OW, I'd say it can be equivalent to less than 10 dives, all for checkouts, with no dive much greater than 60 feet.

I started diving over 25 years ago and have never had dive operator or charter ask for my log book. Wreck diving, drift diving, deep diving, penetration diving, some deco - NADA. My rescue diver or nitrox cards have been adequate. We dove Cape Lookout NC this summer. I love the attitude the operators have up there. Dove the U-352, Papoose, Aeolus, Spar, Hutton, Indra - no problemo.

I have also never been asked for my log book. My dive computer makes it and I print it out on my computer, but I think it is just really for me. I have always had to show my C-card, thats it.

How about a check out dive? Seeing someone in the water is a great gauge of skills.

Diver Dennis:
How about a check out dive? Seeing someone in the water is a great gauge of skills.

This would be my personal choice. I dive for fun, and log books are work to me. I do keep logs - I upload them to my PC and make notes, but I don't carry a log book with me.

Z...

MSilvia:
Short of filling out a form with my cert#, having some (usually) enjoyable conversation with the crew, and doing my usual pre-dive setup and checkout, I don't do anything unusual to convince dive operators of my qualifications. Most times, I don't have a logbook with me, as I rarely write anything in it anymore, and have never been asked for it except by instructors who wanted to sign something. The only time anyone even inquires about my qualifications is when I ask the crew on a recreational boat if they mind me doing deco.

Since I did AOW right after OW, I'd say it can be equivalent to less than 10 dives, all for checkouts, with no dive much greater than 60 feet.
That wouldnt be AOW under PADI standards. You must complete a deep dive between 60-100ft. PADI actually defines equevilency as having another diving certification past OW. This could mean a specialty, AOW, cave training, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom