" Am I Qualified?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GA Under Water:
AOW still doesn't "qualify" you for more than 60' AOW only says you have done 5 Adventure dives. to "qualify" for 60-130 feet, you must complete the Deep Diver specialty. At least that is the way I understand it. There is more to learn and train on and 3 more Deep dives with tasks to complete before you gain the "Deep Diver" qual/cert.

Your limit as an OW Rec diver is 130'. Its recommended by most agencies to take Deep Diving(often utilized within an AOW course) to go past 60'. Atleast thats the way I understand it.

I have a feeling location has alot of bearing though... In this part of the Gulf Coast I think most locals are pretty quick to offshore diving in the deeper range of rec limits.

redrover:
I interpret your question as; if we need to convince an operator we are qualified, what do we do? I get the feeling as an operator you think you have AOW level dives that might be ok for someone without an AOW cert.

I’m not in your area and answering as if going to be.

AOW can be had in some fairly forgiving environments that cannot be compared to some of the less predictable diving in the Gulf. I can see going to a spring or to the Bahama's and getting your AOW right out of OW pretty much being meaningless when used as a qualification to do a deeper dive on a wreck with possible current and less than perfect seas conditions and visibility.

redrover:
I guess I’d have to get it together and transcribe all the little notes onto my pc log and print it out. At least get it onto a media that can be viewed by you.

I’d ask the senior type divers that know me such as LDS (having contact #’s to verify) to make an opinion in writing of my skills or qualifications that deviate from certifications.

I would hope that in discussing the dives I’m interested in, the conversation would lead you to agree with my judgment I’m qualified.

Maybe a bit of a PITA, but doing what you said above, atleast to me, would better show your qualifications.

Then again, we're on an honor system as far as trusting the accuracy of logs. In the end, I think baitedstorm nailed it with the comment about being responsible for yourself. Unfortunately, I doubt the insurance companies would agree.

I’m confused.
Using me as an example (BOW with no other card or whatever, just 99% unsigned log and verifiable opinions) speaking with me about my experience and goal for the dive, and noting my attitude, awareness of qualifications necessary and general feeling derived from your experience; I would be likely to mislead you? Or, it would help you determine I may be more qualified than someone with more than one card?

redrover:
I’m confused.
Using me as an example (BOW with no other card or whatever, just 99% unsigned log and verifiable opinions) speaking with me about my experience and goal for the dive, and noting my attitude, awareness of qualifications necessary and general feeling derived from your experience; I would be likely to mislead you? Or, it would help you determine I may be more qualified than someone with more than one card?

Your profile states You have over 100 dives, if you have a good log book with proof of the prerequisites for the dives in question this is what the Dive Op is looking for.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Experience, to me atleast, means ahellovalot more than a card.
I agree! I also think in the day of "let's sue everyone" I'm going to protect myself before I take a diver out to a challenging site (like the Hole in the Wall in Jupiter Fl).

Paint this picture..... I'm standing in the court room, divers family present, and the judge says "Ms Bryant, so your telling the court that you knew the diver only had an OW certification without any other formal training, yet you took it upon yourself to lead the diver to an advanced dive site in which the diver parished." Not this chica...

Even with a diver and their multitude of c-cards standing before me, I still need to believe the diver can handle the dive. All to often I see divers that are willing to risk their lives (and usually mine when I have to go fetch them) for a number, weather it be depth, time, bagging a limit, or the size of a kill. When I see a AOW c-card, I know at least once in the divers life they've been to at least 100feet (PADI). I know if they have a rescue card, I know they at least can multitask to some degree and have had more time with an Instructor... These cards don't make good divers, only the divers can do that, but it does offer me a little more protection from liability suits.

algulfdiver:
I can see how talking to a Diver can be misleading.
I have had in some cases MUCH better OW Divers than some AOW.
I should have quoted what I was asking about and perhaps it was not even a reply to me.

Was my understanding of your first original question correct? Algulfdiver are you asking how we try to convince you to let us on?
My confusion is the two statements seem to disagree. Hey, as the convincer I want to know what you’re thinking.:D

You are thinking of this in the wrong direction. The "operator" is not interested in your cards. They are going to determine your qualifications from the first phone call. The way you inquire about the dives: features and attractions, not an obsession with depth or other irrelevant issues for a rec dive.

They will evaluate the way you fill out the paperwork. (this should be second nature for you) Confusion about "what goes where" on the forms will only draw attention to you as a noob.

They will evaluate your gear set up and gas choices for the given dive.

They will evaluate the the way you conduct yourself on the boat during the run out to the site.

They will evaluate the way you suit up for the dive.

They will evaluate the way you gear up for the dive.

They will evaluate your buddy or buddy-less situation.

If you have everything in order for the dive you are about to do the operator will hardly have a problem with you doing the dive. A log book can be handy I guess but I have never been asked for mine.

What you show is what you know.

Leave a nice tip.

Vickie,
My cert cards (NAUI, NASDS, and YMCA) all say I'm a "SCUBA DIVER". Not BASIC or anything else. Back in the 60s there WEREN'T any other certs. It wasn't until PADI dumbed the basic course down and split the cert course into 3 "billable" classes that the question origainally asked had any meaning at all.

I stopped keeping a formal log in '72, but I've worn the chrome off 3 regulators. Does that count?

FT

algulfdiver:
1) How do you convince a Dive Operator (Boat or Shop) that You are Qualified to do a certain Dive?
2) What do you say is equivalent to AOW? (as how many dives and how deep)

Feel free to add to this.
If you're talking about a particular dive, they shouldn't need any convincing.

If they look at your card and your logbook and don't think the dive is right for you, take it as a friendly suggestion, not an insult, do a different dive and come back in a year or two (or a different season if it's weather-related).

Dive ops make money taking divers to dive sites, so if they're willing to give up money, it's probably not a dive you'll be happy with.

If you're talking in general terms, a c-card and logbook showing you doing similar dives in similar conditions should be fine. More challanging dives (deeper, darker colder, nastier, etc) may require particular specialites and relevant experience

Terry

FredT:
Vickie,
My cert cards (NAUI, NASDS, and YMCA) all say I'm a "SCUBA DIVER". Not BASIC or anything else. Back in the 60s there WEREN'T any other certs. It wasn't until PADI dumbed the basic course down and split the cert course into 3 "billable" classes that the question origainally asked had any meaning at all.

I stopped keeping a formal log in '72, but I've worn the chrome off 3 regulators. Does that count?

FT

Of course it counts..... I think IceBergSlim put it very well....
I can't explain to you exactly every step I take when I'm on a boat or in a shop making an assessment of a diver, but rest assured, I haven't been wrong yet knowing which ones would (and did) give me the most grief. Things are much different since 60's, there's been alot of advancements to our sport. After checking out the Navy Seal museum in my home town, I can't believe more divers weren't killed with the older style practice.
I think as a professional, it's my obligation to keep a diver as safe as I possible can. I train my DM's (some which are current members of this board) to take the extra few minutes with a diver. I know within a minute or so almost everything I need to know about that persons dive level. I had one of my DM's ask me once how I was able to speak to each diver on "their" own level without making them feel bad or boosting an ego. It's all about perception and a true love of the sport.
The harder someone tries to convince me that they are qualified for a dive, the more I think their not. Old salts have a particular way about themself, one that you just can not fake.
Even with your wisdom far exceeding my own, I simply would not take you out to an extremely challenging site without the proper c-card and documentation of current dives. I know it certainly wouldn't make me popular, but I have an obligation to both the diver and myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom