Aluminum vs Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomo26:
My dive shop is going to sell there old steel tanks for $80, I think I might just pick up a couple of those.
Boomo

You may have already said, but which "old steel tanks" are they? If they're old 72's - and some of them are truly ancient - $80 is not much of a bargain. I've seen people pick up 72's for $10 - $20. Sometimes they fail hydro, sometimes they pass, but at that price, it's not much of a risk.

I think he said he would have them hydroed before he sells them, not for sure I need to check. They are the same ones I have been renting for the past 6 months, he is just buying knew ones.

Boomo

Is that $80 for one? If so I'd expect a fresh hydro, VIP and a serviced valve. Those steel 72s are very nice cylinders that will always have resale value. I'm in the market for a few myself. Just remember that you will probably have less air than your buddies.

Pete

spectrum:
Is that $80 for one? If so I'd expect a fresh hydro, VIP and a serviced valve. Those steel 72s are very nice cylinders that will always have resale value. I'm in the market for a few myself. Just remember that you will probably have less air than your buddies.

Pete

I am not sure if they are 72's or not, I know when I dive I always have at least 3,000 psi in the tank. How can I tell which type of tank they are??

Boomo

There should be markings near the tank neck that look something like "DOT 3AA .....". This will give you the information about the tank, including service pressure and capacity.

boomo26:
I always have at least 3,000 psi in the tank
Now I'm gettin' suspicious... do these tanks have rounded bottoms and boots, or do they have a flat bottom so they can stand up without a boot?
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom