Please help me buy a tank!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on the HP120's. I'm a bit taller (6' -1") and a "bit" heavier and they are great tanks for me.

There’s a bunch of decent looking used tanks on OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace. One guy has an XS Worthington 100 for $280. 2 years out of hydro, looks clean. It has a Pro Valve he says. Is that okay for my DIN regs?

One guy has 2 of these: DOT-E9791-3500 TP5250. DIN Only Sherwood Steel 120CU FT Tank. Hydro and Visual Date is Apr 2024. Great Condition.$200 Each. Thoughts?
Of these options, I’d go for the second one. Get both of the Sherwood E9791 tanks. Price seems good with the recent hydro and visual. At least for my area. Not sure about the local market where you are.

The pro valve of the first tank will work for your DIN regs as long as the insert is not corroded in place. But I’d still opt for the Sherwood tanks.

I am 6' and 220 lbs and just bought a pair of galvanized steel 100's and still waiting for the second tank to arrive at my LDS. I don't think I would want a taller or heavier tank. For me a steel 100 is the sweet spot of volume, buoyancy, size and weight.

My LDS matched the price of online retailers (without shipping), threw in the little stuff like a tank valve cap, boot, nitrox wrap and a free nitrox fill. And they did a free vis on the tank before assembly and filling. If your LDS is as nice as mine, you might consider buying new.

I would absolutely check on the buoyancy characteristics for the 120s. I’m not that familiar with them, but if they are 3500 PSI, not 3442, a little alarm would go off in my head about older HP tanks that are extremely heavy in the water. You want to be sure these are not them.

I have never bought a new tank in my 25 years plus of diving, so used is the way to go IMO. But for SURE I would rent a few tanks for your local diving first to find the tank that suits your buoyancy needs. They’re all different, everyone’s body is different, exposure protection is different, etc. It is absolutely trial and error.

I would absolutely check on the buoyancy characteristics for the 120s. I’m not that familiar with them, but if they are 3500 PSI, not 3442, a little alarm would go off in my head about older HP tanks that are extremely heavy in the water. You want to be sure these are not them.

I have never bought a new tank in my 25 years plus of diving, so used is the way to go IMO. But for SURE I would rent a few tanks for your local diving first to find the tank that suits your buoyancy needs. They’re all different, everyone’s body is different, exposure protection is different, etc. It is absolutely trial and error.
As far as I can tell, the Pressed Steel 3500 9791 tanks are essentially the same in terms of buoyancy as the later 3442 9791 tanks. They are nothing like the Genesis/Asahi 120s, which are more negative.

But you're absolutely right -- everyone's buoyancy preferences are different and there's no way how you like a tank until you dive it.

I changed my mind! I found two Worthington X8-119s for $200 each. Born in 2011 and 2012, both within hydro and VIS. The Sherwood 120's were almost 30 years old.

I see these are the wider tanks, but I should be fine. I seemed to be able to adjust easily with new tanks and weights (between first classes here in La Jolla, no wetsuits at all all in Cozumel, and new BCD and 2 different tanks last weekend during my Deep Dive class)

8" vs 7.25" is largely a matter of preference. Dive both sizes and see what you like best.

As far as age, a 30 year old steel tank is as good as a 10 year old steel tank, all other things (such as condition) being equal.

I changed my mind! I found two Worthington X8-119s for $200 each. Born in 2011 and 2012, both within hydro and VIS. The Sherwood 120's were almost 30 years old.
Age is really not important in tanks. Particularly steel tanks. Most of my tanks are around 30 years old. Unless they were badly mistreated, there should be no problems. With the recent passing Hydro on those Sherwoods, I’d say they will last many more years.
I see these are the wider tanks, but I should be fine.
I dove for several years with 8” diameter tanks. Got rid of them last year and replaced with galvanized 120s. The 120s are a bit taller, but I definitely prefer them.

Adapting to the size of the tanks during the dive is one part of the equation. The other is transporting them to the dive site. If you do only shore dives, no issue. If you do boat dives, there’s a possibility the larger tanks may not fit in the tank holders. Depends on the style of holders. My boat has Roll Control tank holders. They are adjustable, but not while mounted. I have them all set to fit the 7.25” tanks now.

Resale value difference on these will be better though in 10 years, wouldn't you think?

Back
Top Bottom