All dive gear in carry-on only. What to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billtodive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to carry all my dive gear in one airline carry-on bag.
1. One roller carry-on.
2. I am very impressed with the new V wing, but #1 is #1 ie will it fold up small.
3. SS backplate for salt/cold water makes sense, but are plastic worth considering?
(I can't immagine anything much lighter or easier to pack. )
4. I don't mind a weight belt.
5. I would use same rig for cool/cold freshwater diving if SS backplate in the choice.
6. I will occasionally sling a 19 to 30 cf.

With 2 total tropical trips under my Back-inflate Weight-int BC and huge suitcase,
I'm sure many of you can help me come up with a better plan.

I have a sherwood softback BC, Air2 + regs and a console, 1 dive skin, 1 pair trunks, 3 teeshirts. Only problem I can see would be the fins. My very old small fins that I wear without boots would just fit, I think. If not I have seem some photographers using very small fins that would work.

Thanks.. My velocity fill the length of a samsonite. will try my full foot snorkeling fins and see if they fit......

I just bought a stainless steel plate, hog harness, and the Mach V wing, and it makes my Ranger look like a zeppelin. I have no doubt that you could fit this rig, along with your other gear, into a single (small) carry-on. If your fins are the largest element, I would suggest Jet fins.

Even with the Zeagle Brigade, with regulator setup, wetsuit, mask, fins, hoods, gloves, computer and hardcase, lights, safety sausages, mirrors and all, I can not get it all into just carry-luggage, and that is not even counting the fact that you can not take dive-knifes or shears onto the Plane. Too much stuff, too little time!

Plastic or aluminum bp/w setups will work very well, as long as you're only going to warm water locations. SS is best for cold. Sometimes it can be used for warm, too, but you risk being overweighted. bp/w setups pack very small regardless of bp material, however, just one is heavier than the other. If you have to make up the weight difference with a weight belt, however, it may not make a difference. Best to rent there, along with your tanks, which you can't really travel with anyway. (unless you want to pay for inspections on both sides, since you have remove the valve to fly)

Since diving=travel for me these days, I am in the same situation and have been thinking about it for a while now. Thankfully, I've been able to slowly replace my gear to match my diving (only warm water). If price is not a concern I would go with...starting at the top:

1. Low profile mask (foldable plastic snorkel, if any)
2. Regulator with air integrated wrist mount computer. Low profile 2nd stage/Octo. (I'm not convinced on the BC inflator as an Octo thing, so that's not an option for me).
3. Aluminum or Plastic BP with smallest wing possible and weight pockets.
4. 3-5mm wetsuit/boots/gloves (can't compromise much here)
5. Light weight fins (to balance my negatively bouyant legs)
6. accessories (lights, knife, line, alert marker, etc.)

**All dive shops have weights so you can get those when you get your tanks!

What I have found in my travels is that bulkiness is as much of a pain as weight. Streamline your rig to essential components and you will be a much happier all around. Good Luck!

Switching to BP/W really decreased the size of what I had to pack for trips. It's yet another great advantage of BP/W.

I have a SS plate that I use at home in cold water and travelling to warm water. It's nice because I don't need any additional weight in the tropics (I also have the DSS weight plates that I bring with me if needed). So, it adds a bit of weight to a carry-on SCUBA setup, but that's not a big deal like it is when you're checking your gear. I have thought a plastic BP could be cool, but then I'd just need to rent weight at my destination and wear it on a belt, both of which annoy me. So, I'm going to stick with the SS for now.

Anyway...my $.07 :wink:

Cheers :D

I would love for this to be possible but if you get one full flight you may be out of luck. The last time I flew the flight was full and they were being VERY strict with carry on luggage. My carry on easily fit into the little metal thing outside the baording tunnel that they use to see if your luggage is too big. Nonetheless, they asked me and most other folks with SMALL carry on luggage to check it at the last minute. This has happened a few times and appears to be happening more frequently. I have just given up, lol! I wish it were possible though. When I first started diving I would just carry on everything but my BC in a large duffel and that went under the radar but i don't think it would fly now!

I do second the BP/W or maybe a tiny back inflate like a zeagle (I forget the name of that really small one, escape?) for travel. Let us know how it goes...good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom