Back plate vs xxx, what gear!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kev66

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After a 5yr recovery I am getting back into Diving.
I am a very large guy. 60" chest, 50" waist 20" arms. In other words It don't fit...lol
I broke my back but have healed enough to resume diving. Because I don't fit into anything I want to go from a vest BCD to a backplate. I have zero experience with them.
I used to use 7mm suit (40⁰ water) 30lbs, AL80 tank. At the end of a dive I'd have to carry a rock to stay down at 60 or 70'.

I plan to get a steel plate, min 30lb lift wing or???
Not sure about exposure suit anymore. I now live in Texas vs Washington. But do plan to freshwater dive in lakes as well as the Gulf.

1. Would the backplate irritate the lumbar?
2. How much weight should I plan to purchase?
3. Would a 30lb wing be sufficient?
Obviously I want to stay streamlimed but thinking a 50lb wing is better.

I think the backplate is the best strategy as I become more active now the waist will shrink but chest and shoulders are still gonna be "I don't fit"... the plate offers infinite adjustability.

Share your knowledge please!!

Bpw is the way to go. But don't get a kit. Most kits won't include enough webbing for you. I'd get 30' of medium webbing (it's dirt cheap) That's enough for the Bpw, and a weight belt, and other odds and ends we make out of webbing. (Like mounting a drysuit bottle to the waist belt)

My backplate might not even reach my lumbar. Sure as heck doesn't irritate it. I'm 6'2, only my long plate gets close to that area. On land a Bpw digs into my shoulders, almost no force digging into my back. In the water, my BPW is invisible. Can't feel it at all. (All straps slightly loose)

30# wing is plenty for single tank. Dgx and Halcyon have good wings. SS plate and SS STA will be nice weight added.

Switch to a steel tank for local dives.
Hp100 maybe.

Two 10 pound weights, and two 5 pound weights will be handy. Avoid plastic coated weights. Get two Highland bungie plate holder things instead of weight pouches for your Bpw. I only use 2 weights on my weight belt, and use bigger or smaller weights as needed. A bunch of little weights is messy IMO. I doubt you'll still need 30#, those are just the first weights I start with, usually. Mix and match as you see fit.

I get wetsuits from my LDS. I want to try them on, or have custom made. I don't see 7mm working for us big guys. I'll go crushed neoprene drysuit before using a wetsuit that thick.

Nows a good time to switch to a long hose and simple Spg if you haven't already. 7' longhose barely loops under my knife. Barely tucks in the belt. I'll be switching to a 10' longhose soon so it tucks into the belt nicer and won't pop out. You may want to start with a 10 footer, because it goes across our chests.

The lil guys might object, but they don't get that us big guys use a 5' hose for the same streamlined setup, as their 40" hose.

Kev,
I had my L5-S1 fused a few years ago... BPW didn't bother my back either before the surgery (when my back truly sucked) or after recovery. But your milage may vary... Many here are super big on BPW, but not everyone ends up liking them. If possible, borrow or rent one to try before making a decision. If you were any kind of close I'd dive with you and loan you one of mine to try.

Regarding wing size and weights, see this:
It will help break down your actual needs, and when you get it dialed in it's pretty accurate for nailing weight changes needed for different conditions.

I'm sure others will chime in with solid advice as well

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom