Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, 28 pages...

I guess this is essentially a virtual pillory for Mr. Pierce (although I think he may be getting the last laugh).

I think it’s amusing we get worked up over his comments on long hoses. Given the focus of his instructional background (OW) and passion for the popularization of recreational diving, I don’t think we should have expected anything different than what we got.

I have a lot of respect for Mr. Pierce despite his occasional flaws and exaggeration. He’s done more for SCUBA diving than any zealotry I may have for equipment configuration techniques ever will.

I try to respect my elders, especially productive ones, even if I disagree with them.

I think it comes down to speaking about things you know and not speaking about things you don't know.

0:45 "I am not an expert on modern technical diving. Even with my commercial diving and training from 100 years ago."

What would happen to a long hose diver, with a hose wrapped around their neck and/or body if an OOA diver comes up and grabs the regulator out of said divers mouth and heads to the surface? Would definitely cause problems with an experienced diver, much less a newby. Maybe that`s the point Alec was trying to make.

What would happen to a long hose diver, with a hose wrapped around their neck and/or body if an OOA diver comes up and grabs the regulator out of said divers mouth and heads to the surface? Would definitely cause problems with an experienced diver, much less a newby. Maybe that`s the point Alec was trying to make.
How does hose length affect that? Having dealt with a panicked diver, all you can do is try to slow their ascent in hopes they exhale sufficiently to not burst a lung.

OH MY HECK! That guy is in a vertical orientation in front of the camera!
They are not making a visual point about the visibility of something on their chest while horizontal in the water when an OOA diver approaches from a fairly random direction, but unlikely from the coral or ocean floor below. The issue with Alec, as was pointed out twice.

They are instead giving a rather good and balanced description of pro/con of several donation setups. Not of take methods.

I wish folks would stop using the term "wrapped around". It isn't! It is across the body, and behind the head.
When I read “wrapped around” it’s suggesting the person doesn’t understand the routing or how it works. Here’s a couple of different takes, one of which (RAID) is an agency that teaches the long hose in OW:

So easy you don’t even notice the donor going to the necklaced reg

RAID OW

Oh, where’s the snorkel, you ask? Because it does get in the way of donating a long hose. For teaching OW and AOW, a collapsible one in your pocket meets instructional requirements, and when you’ve finished your course and are just out diving, this is one way it’s done.

Because you don’t need a snorkel when you are *under the water* on scuba. Maybe on the surface, but that’s a whole other thread, search for something like “snorkel, do you use one?”

I was taught not to release the "tuck" from the [whatever you use] until you decide you need the length....

Back
Top Bottom