• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Advanced Scuba' started by loosenit2, Sep 19, 2019.

1. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The necklaces are good, and not too difficult to reinsert with thick gloves as you can stretch them to be bigger. Takes some practice though, best done on dry land with one's eyes closed.

dead dog likes this.
  2. Divectionist

Divectionist Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I think the yellow cap on primary makes good sense for primary donate in rec settings. Not so much needed if diving with equally trained tech divers. But in some low visibility panic, the splash of yellow may be exactly what the brain needs to make the right decision. Nevertheless, 90% of rec divers will quizzingly look at you why you are diving with that octo thing they personally never used.

As for your pony reg, why do you shut it off? Provided you have a second stage with venturi on it, the 'pre-dive' setting will generally not decide to free flow. Haven't thought about any cold water situations but I'd rather shut it down if something happens rather than having to turn it on in an OOA situation or risk flooding something if the small amount of pressure escapes.

Before the pony, still with short primary, I used one of those silicone necklaces as my octo holder. It held the octo nice and visible on my chest, easy to pull out for buddies, and easy to reach for myself without taking it out of the necklace. Still in the 'triangle' and without having it dangle with some crappy octo holder on one of the bp/w D-rings, who have better things to do. I thought it was a great solution, but the hybrid nature of it offended some who thought necklaces only belong with primary donate long hoses.

3. FreeFlyFreak

FreeFlyFreak Contributor

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I actually had a divemaster ask me after a dive if I had a problem with my regulator because I was always using my "octo".

S600 yellow hose, yellow cover
    R195 on necklace black hose, cover blacked out.

4. Manatee Diver

Manatee Diver Stop throwing lettuce at me! ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    They also go into coral and sea caves that the DM says is safe but I'm setting there at the back of the conga line thinking "This is dangerous, as we are outside of the daylight zone."

The bailout reg that I use on it is a used one, doesn't have a set able venturi. It works for me, TBH I rarely dive with a buddy in open water. I trust my pony more than I trust anyone else.

Perryed and dead dog like this.
  5. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Woof! ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    There are times I dive a rig with a yellow 7' long hose....

6. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    A poorly trained diver would not check his gear to insure proper operation and correct the issue during the dive, and if necessary find a permanent solution over the long run.

acc819.jpg

It's kind of a pain in gloves but doable.

It would seem a check would be in order, or choose another spot.

When I got my first alternate second, I just stuffed it in my SeaTec BC pocket, and figured on primary donate, same as when I only had one second. I had an Air2 clone on my next BC, then later hung the alternate in the "triangle" on my BP/W. During all this time, I have never used a yellow reg or hose.

I currently dive a 40" hose and bungeed backup, however I have dived a number of other configurations without issue. I'm not that special that crap won't happen to me if it can happen. I haven't seen a lot of other divers having these problems, but I don't have recent warm water experience.

Is the bungeed backup a better way to hang your alternate, regardless of hose length on your primary second stage? I would say yes. Would any other configuration work successfully? I would also say yes. I would also say the outcome of an air share is dependant more on the the training and practice of air shares, than the configurations being used.

Bob

7. wfgross

wfgross Registered

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I didn’t read all of this thread, but what about the Air2? Seems that this is a bigger issue for rec divers than a long hose...

8. BlueTrin

BlueTrin ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    It was mentioned already :)