Suggestions on learning long hose primary ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another consideration is the choice between a 5’ and 7’ long hose. Cave divers would opt for a 7’ hose, but I think that length also works nicely for me (will never go near a cave) because it gives plenty of length to tuck a loop under my waist belt and stay out of the way. However, I do want to try a 5’ sometime to see how it works.

However, I do want to try a 5’ sometime to see how it works.
Wraps quite nicely around the torso, no sagging when horizontal (rubber hose). It was was great with a 3mm wetsuit in Cozumel (I was 6'1, 220 lb at the time). I don't like it in my drysuit, as the inflator area gets cluttered.

... However, I do want to try a 5’ sometime to see how it works.
This (5') was the length that was "required" for my Cavern and Basic Cave courses (NACD/NSS-CDS, in 1988). Worked fine for me in my 0.25" two-piece farmer John and shorty wetsuit. When I began diving a drysuit and BM doubles (intending to penetrate extended-range Great Lakes shipwrecks), I switched to a 7' hose. Better for penetrating wrecks where you and your buddy might be single-file. And the additional bulk of the drysuit made the 5' hose a bit too restrictive (for me). Also, only a 7' hose was available as an OEM long hose for my Poseidon Odin regs at that time (ca. 1995).

When I returned to wetsuit, recreational diving, I returned to diving a "standard-length" reg hose (~34") on my primary single-hose reg (when I'm not diving my DH reg).

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom