Suggestions on learning long hose primary ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched a couple of months ago and it took me exactly one dive to get used to it, and now I prefer the setup. (For one thing, I can do it myself - with the octopus, I always needed someone to help me tuck the yellow hose away.) You really don't have anything to worry about.

There are good videos out there showing the so-called S-Drill. I’m most familiar with the one on GUE.tv. You can subscribe to that for a month for $25 or something like that (or there may be a free trial subscription option). The S-Drill video will show how it is taught in Fundies. It’s not complicated, but it can take some time to build it into muscle memory. After having done it hundreds of times I am still capable of screwing it up, which is why I continue to practice it often.

Mate sounds like you may need a course of muscle memory enhancers

Does that guy padi do a course on that

When I drive my stick shift, or my autos I rely on muscles and the memory is just there
so I am just not cognisant about this muscles, and supposed correlation, with memory

although my left knee reminds me, sometimes it doesn't enjoy that pushing the clutch

Thing is you could also complement your advice by suggesting a length check using another hose
before buying a 22-24 inch hose as 80%-20% doesn't say much, considering my hoses are 29 inch

22 inches on a secondary hose will work for probably 80% of people. I've yet to meet someone that a 22 or 24 inch backup hose didn't work for.

All the little people, where do they all come from

The answer to your question in an image :-

IMG_8029.jpeg

I switched to long hose some 3 to 4 dive vacations back without taking any classes. I made it a point to watch dozens of videos like these and made it a point to practice the S-Drill in front of the TV at first as well as on every dive thereafter at least once at 6mtrs.

I still ended up doing stupid things at first like forgetting to put the backup reg in my mouth and holding my breath until my face turned blue - while practising a demo with my buddy. A 22” short hose should be fine.

Tip: You don’t have to be muscular to learn muscle memory ( A wise man once said… 😌 )

Thing is you could also complement your advice by suggesting a length check using another hose
before buying a 22-24 inch hose as 80%-20% doesn't say much, considering my hoses are 29 inch

All the little people, where do they all come from
OP has stated in other threads that he has a desire to dive DIR. That would mean a 22 or 24 inch hose. If you need a 29-inch backup hose, I'd be worried that you likely aren't fulfilling that 20 minutes of exercise 3x a week requirement.

The answer to your question in an image :-

View attachment 851645

I switched to long hose some 3 to 4 dive vacations back without taking any classes. I made it a point to watch dozens of videos like these and made it a point to practice the S-Drill in front of the TV at first as well as on every dive thereafter at least once at 6mtrs.

I still ended up doing stupid things at first like forgetting to put the backup reg in my mouth and holding my breath until my face turned blue - while practising a demo with my buddy. A 22” short hose should be fine.

Tip: You don’t have to be muscular to learn muscle memory ( A wise man once said… 😌 )
While the execution of the drill is good, I just want to point out a couple of things to avoid confusion:

1 - The drill showed in the video is called "Modified S-drill", often performed right after splashing or after hooking up any equipment like stages or lights to confirm that the long hose is not trapped and is ready to be deployed. This is not to be confused with the "S-drill" which is an actual donation of gas with a buddy to practice gas sharing.

2 - a bubble check is not a part of the Modified S-drill. They are often performed at the same time, right after getting in the water, by checking your buddy's front and back for any leaks.

Edit:
This terminology and the protocols I'm referring to are from GUE training. I don't know if other agencies would disagree.

Also, one needs to have their fundamental skills pretty solid; including back kick to give space when deploying full length of the hose.

Don't dive with a snorkel. If you ever have to deploy the long hose to someone out of gas, you will catch the long hose on the snorkel and rip your mask off. Not ideal to have no reg, no mask, and a teammate that is [on the verge of] panicked.

Not that this is coming from personal experience :p

OP has stated in other threads that he has a desire to dive DIR. That would mean a 22 or 24 inch hose. If you need a 29-inch backup hose, I'd be worried that you likely aren't fulfilling that 20 minutes of exercise 3x a week requirement.

Considering I am a really big not fat guy that some describe as huge, dive smallish tanks, want full head movement

I would suggest that the dir restriction in hose length considering I identify as a suntanned beach combing big guy

is racist, and if it actually is as you describe, unwaveringly stupid

Back
Top Bottom