Air-Integrated Computers

Air-Integration:

• A useful and convenient feature. My computer has it OR if I were buying one I would get AI

Votes: 258 69.7%
  • A useful feature, but isn’t worth the $$$

Votes: 57 15.4%
  • A useless gimmick to relieve newbies like Lemonade of their money

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • Tables are diver’s best friends

Votes: 14 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to watch the battery meter. The Cobra has one at start up. I've been thinking of .getting a spare to put in the dive kit. Mine are only $5

I have an Oceanic Data Trans with the retractable cord. or i can wrist mount it..love it cant see why others have not gone the same route?

Scubaddawg
GET WET OR GO HOME!

I enjoy my AI comp and I feel that the "what if the computer breaks?" scenario is flawed. For example:

I am diving on an AI computer. It fails. I must abort the dive, stopping at 15 feet for as long as possible. No diving for 24 hours.

I am diving a computer with analog SPG. Computer fails. I must abort the dive, stopping at 15 feet for as long as possible. No diving for 24 hours.

What is the difference? My diving day is still over.

The point is, we carry redundant air supply (regulator or octo) because a reg failure is imminently life threatening. A computer failure (and I am talking rec diving here. Tech/cave is a different story) is not. Guage failure is not.

I bought a computer to do two things:
1 Make diving easier and safer.
2 Extend my bottom time

AI has assisted me in increasing my bottom time by helping me improve my SAC. When I started using my comp, my average dive at the 60 foot range was 32 minutes. My average is now 48 minutes. I have had an AI computer now for over a year. I love them.

As far as brand: remember the Suunto comps are conservative with NDL's. Safer, but less bottom time. The Pelagics, such as Aeris and Oceanic, are more liberal. More bottom time. I have had both and I prefer the Pelagics. Find out which works for you.

I have air integrated and would do it again. By having everything in your computer then it makes your gauges that much smaller. The computer should also estimate air time remaining for you. If you choose to down load it to your home computer, then you get all kinds of other info.

PS If you have the option, I would get a quick disconnect as well.

I've got an air intergrated computer on order. I've used the Cobra in training and I'm going one step further and getting the Vytec, which is wireless. I like the idea of a computer giving you an estimated air time remaining/pressure/dive info all on one display. This reduces your task loading a little bit. As far as the wireless being one more point of failure. This should be a non issue since if it fails you return to the surface as soon as possible. Plus you have have one less hose to get tangled.

Being a computer support geek, I'm just not sure if I trust a computer that much. I am thinking that a well maintained analog gauge is just..... more reliable?

Landlocked-
If you are that worried about computers crashing, you must support a microsoft product. Does the computer in your ABS or airbags malfunction? Ever fly in a plane? The truth is, we rely on computers for our lives every day. Computers with firmware are much more reliable than the ones you work with.

I have a Cobra
I was a little unsure when I bought it - what if it fails?
Sooooo - I kept my console with SPG, compass, depth.
I'm so glad I did.
I was in Mexico diving earlier in June and used the Cobra for its 3rd dive ever and at 75' , 10 min. into the dive it beeped me and "told" me I only had 5 min. air remaining and then quickly counted down to 0. Boy oh Boy was I scared!! I quickly grabbed for my back-up console and saw I had 2300 psi remaining. Then I started to go up anyway and the computer started giving me air time back???? This happened on other dives during my week. The computer also shut off altogether on one dive at approx. 55' and then came back on and started a new dive.
Obviously, the computer was wacko and if had'nt cost me so much I would have fed it to the eels.
I've returned it to the LDS and am awaiting a replacement.
My husband did'nt trust the AI and bought a Vyper, so we can both use the same download program. I've been borrowing his computer since coming back from Mexico.
I still like an AI computer cause it's nice to see all the info. in one spot but I think even when I get a working unit I'm going to look for a light weight SPG that I can read in an emergency. The Cobra has a compass attachment you can buy separately - I've seen it and it looks nice.

:eek:

It's my understanding that AI computers do much more for you than just "keep all of the information in one place..."

There are other advantages, too... Like when you load your dive profile onto your computer, the air information is there too.

Also, it appears that some of the more advanced AI computers can take your air consumption rates into account to more accurately predict tissue saturation. In other words, if you use more air, your tissues would be more saturated, and would require a longer deco stop. Or if you use less air, your bottom time could be increased slightly, or the deco stop could be reduced...

But mostly, I'm thinking that this is a safety issue... Sure, let's say you go to 100 feet and stay down there for 35 minutes (okay, you're using a 120 tank)... You'd need to decompress, right? Well, any computer could tell you that yes, you need to, and even tell you where and for how long. However, an AI computer also takes into account your breathing rate and expected time left on your tank. This is important info because... What if you're using a non AI computer and it tells you to stop at 20 feet for four minutes, and you've only got 500 psi in your tank? Then it wants you to stop at 10 feet too...

Okay, I don't know decompression points or even the theories really well... So I may be off here. But my point is that an AI computer will also take into account deco stops and tell you when you need to begin ascent, else not have the air to be able to deco properly.

Personally, I haven't bought yet, but for this reason I'm thinking that if I plan to do deco diving, I need to make sure that the computer's got all of the relevant information so that I can do everything safely.

Thoughts?

Volume of air is not a parameter, as long as it exceeds the amount that can be absorbed (and you'd die if it didn't). Its the partial pressure and the contact time that count

However the volume of air used can be an indicator as to the level of muscular activity and we all know that that can lead to increased microbubble formation (especially post dive).

Monitoring SAC is a great way of seeing your diving fitness. I've been keeping tabs on mine for 27 years now and have seen it steadily decline from my 10 l/min when I was 11 to my current 20 l/min now Im old, fat, unfit and at the beginning of the season (only up to 21 dives so far this year) Also which regulator I use has a bearing. I can save 2 l/min by using my Scubapro regs instead of my Posiedon Jetstreams. (I also prefer the Scubapro S600)

The Suunto Dive Software makes this really easy, even if you dont have the air integrated function

All moot cos I have an Inspiration rebreather now and gas consumption is not a worry any more (10 hours on a 3L bottle!!!!!)

Back
Top Bottom