Air-Integrated Computers

Air-Integration:

• A useful and convenient feature. My computer has it OR if I were buying one I would get AI

Votes: 258 69.7%
  • A useful feature, but isn’t worth the $$$

Votes: 57 15.4%
  • A useless gimmick to relieve newbies like Lemonade of their money

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • Tables are diver’s best friends

Votes: 14 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a few people who have AI computers and love them. It is going to be my next big purchase. I have never thought of it as one less hose to drag, dangle.....etc. I have thought of it as one less hose, so it makes you more stream-line, and you look at your computer anyway, why not have your air gauge right there. It makes sense to me.

Rich :mean:

SAC and DAC with the rest of them, my Cobra does it for me and does so more accurately. When I down load the profile, depth time and air are all there for me to look at so as to disect the dive.

Some people try to be "purists" in their own minds, relegating the ai computer to some electronic junk heap. I know of some who take great pride in keeping a running tab of depth/time/consumption in their heads. Me, I don't dive just to keep track of me. I dive to explore a new world. My Cobra allows me to concentrate on experiencing this wonderful environment rather than on the mechanics of diving.

Originally posted by NetDoc
Some people try to be "purists" in their own minds, relegating the ai computer to some electronic junk heap. I know of some who take great pride in keeping a running tab of depth/time/consumption in their heads. Me, I don't dive just to keep track of me. I dive to explore a new world. My Cobra allows me to concentrate on experiencing this wonderful environment rather than on the mechanics of diving.
For a strictly recreational diver this is not all that bad... (unless and until something untoward happens...)

But for those who are, or aspire to be, technical mixed gas divers doing staged decompression it is important to have developed the skill of *active attention & awareness* to the mechanics of the dive... as the chance of something untoward happening is greatly increased and the consequences exponentially.

This skill cannot readily be turned on and off... and consequently will be practiced on all dives by the prudent tech diver who will still be able to experience the wonderful environment with a heightened level of concentration to all details of the dive... it is a level of awareness unknown to the casual recreration tourist diver.

:D I love diving more now than ever!!!

Brass SPG checked every 5 minutes.
Stinger that lives in gauge mode checked every 5 minutes.
Buddy in constant passive communication... eyeballed every 5 minutes.
Environment in constant assessment...
Dive parameters in constant assessment...

try teaching a group of students and keeping track of them...

ALL student's SPGs checked every 5 minutes.
Monitoring depth for the whole group.
Students in constant passive communication... eyeballed every 15 seconds.
Environment in constant assessment...
Dive parameters in constant assessment...
Each student in constant assessment...
And you are right Pug, you just can't turn that skill to the "off" mode. Even when I dive for my fun, I still watch out of the corner of my eye. OK, OK, my son says I use the whole eye!

That being said, the average recreational diver STILL needs to keep checking that ol' SPG (electronic or otherwise) and depth as well. Last checked, it's still impossible to breathe off of your ai computer! Sticking close to your buddy is not an option either. Assessing the ongoing dive is also important. As different as many diving styles are, there is much that should be the same.

I use a oceanic data max pro AI computer, which I love, and have a set of genesis anolog guages in case of computer failure. which has not happened yet. knock on wood.:)

When I had to decide, I did not go with AI. Sure, it's nice but I felt it to be less important and, at the time, not worth the difference in price.

Ari :)

Ok, I'm a new diver, but so far I love my cobra. It's nice to be able to come home and download my dive and see what was going on every 20 seconds. I pay close attention to gauges while diving, but not every 20 seconds. Also as a new diver it is good to see how much depth bouncing I was doing without even noticing at the time.

I started my wife out with a basic gauge, but I very much want to upgrade her now. Here's a question for all of you... Do I get her a Cobra so we both have knowledge of the same equipment and use of the same software, or do I get her something hoseless?

I would get either the cobra or another variant of Suunto. You won't have to buy another interface if you do. ALSO, if you get a non-ai wrist mounted Suunto (like the Vyper) you can dive it as a back up. I almost made the plunge for my sweetie, but she does not like diving like I do. Oh well! If she IS into it like yourself, just get her the Cobra so you can remain consistent. I love mine!

That's the way I'm leaning Doc. I just wanted to solicit some advice from the board members. You never know what thoughts I haven't considered.

I have an AI and have had the battery go out. When this happens you have know Idea how long your air will last and should end the dive. Scott:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom