Air-Integrated Computers

Air-Integration:

• A useful and convenient feature. My computer has it OR if I were buying one I would get AI

Votes: 258 69.7%
  • A useful feature, but isn’t worth the $$$

Votes: 57 15.4%
  • A useless gimmick to relieve newbies like Lemonade of their money

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • Tables are diver’s best friends

Votes: 14 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Genesis Wisdom took a dump on me during the second dive of the day on Saturday but oddly enough still displayed tank pressure. It occurred to me that this was a very nice feature for an AI computer to have when it quits on you.

I have a Suunto Cobra and I like it. One thing people should be aware of is the time remaining. If you are hovering watching a fish it will give you a much greater time remaining based on the fact that you are at rest. When you start kicking heading back to the boat that time remaining will drop, based on how hard you are kicking. In other words if you have 10 minutes remaining don't kick it into high gear to get back. It's not a clock, it's based on air consumption.

Dennis

I have the new Aeris Elite arriving on Monday. Stronger Transmitter and better Receiver is the promised word from Aeris.

Right now I use a pair of 750GT's...one kept in my BC pocket and the other on my wrist...I love not having another hose to play around with..simple and sleek.

The Elite is really small too....got a peek at it at Our World Underwater this year.....if I'm happy with it, I'll be sure to spring for another backup...I just hope I dont get cancer in my left ear/shoulder 20 years from now. :(

Jason

Air Integrated computers are useless once you start getting into Decompression diving. Once you have done a gas switch to a higher FO2 and accelerated your decompression your time to get out of the water is less than time to surface on your computer, unless it lets you gas switch. It's pretty hard to leave an AI computer at 3 metres for another 20min whilst you get out of the water.

One of the features I see touted here about AI computers is that they show you your remaining available air time (IOW, they figure for you how long you are able to remain at depth based on how much gas you have in your bottle).

So here's my big beef with using this technology for dive planning:

The computer ISN'T calculating how much gas you AND A BUDDY would need to do a safe ascent in an OOA situation.

You may be down to 5 minutes remaining gas, with a five minute profile remaining to surface safely. GREAT!

Then your buddy hits you with an OOA....

NOW what?

:wacko:

:confused:

Use AI if you want to. But your computer on your wrist/console is incapable of being aware of your situation underwater.

Your computer between your ears, if used, will give you way more information and dramatically improve your margin of safety.

-d

Back
Top Bottom