Air-Integrated Computers

Air-Integration:

• A useful and convenient feature. My computer has it OR if I were buying one I would get AI

Votes: 258 69.7%
  • A useful feature, but isn’t worth the $$$

Votes: 57 15.4%
  • A useless gimmick to relieve newbies like Lemonade of their money

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • Tables are diver’s best friends

Votes: 14 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Uwatec Smartcom and Smart Trak works fine with Win
XP. Don't know about Data Trak for Air Z Nitrox though.

I purchased an Aeris 750GT from Discount Divers at a good price. Probably the Suunto is better by I didn't like spending the extra money. I liked the Suunto form factor much better [round] than the Aeris [rectangular and clunky] and I also liked the ability to set a specific nitrox mix on the Suunto. And, the deco stop auto timer is cool on the Suunto. In a perfect world [unlimited money] the Suunto was my choice. Still for half price the Aeris was my choice.

I find that I check the air supply much more often with the AI wrist mount. This is a good thing. It takes less effort for me to be a better diver. For me, that's why it is worth the money.

The high-tech feature of combining all indicators and displaying a maximun time before ascending is very nice but I rarely dive that close to the limits anyway.

I use a Dacor H.U.B so I have ZERO hoses to dangle. I still have the analog pressure gage but mostly it is kept in its pocket.

Since I started diving I always used an aladin pro, but I was very attracted by the AI feature, so I managed to get one, a monitor 3, and I was truly excited bout this, but afer some dives I realized that I didn't needed this computer, in the sense that adds only complications and fragile pieces, like the transmitter.
It takes truly no effort to check the spg every some minutes and manage your air with your head, so I handed it to my girlfriend and she's happy with it

I just bought an Oceanic PRO PLUS 2 with AI. I couldn't pass up the price $480 for the computer and compass, with out the quick disconnect. As opposed to $700 at Divers Direct including the quick disconnect. If anyone wants to know where I got it for $480, PM me.

I use an AI Cobra and love it. It gives me all my information in one place. Very handy.

I know that mechanical spg's fail too, but the air integrated ones have even more ways they can fail. A nice brass spg is a beautiful thing....and very reliable if properly maintained.

Mine is clipped off to the left D-ring, so dangling is not a problem.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
I know that mechanical spg's fail too, but the air integrated ones have even more ways they can fail. A nice brass spg is a beautiful thing....and very reliable if properly maintained.

Mine is clipped off to the left D-ring, so dangling is not a problem.

How do you get that ?

SPG has alot of faliure points
no less than 2 orings to go bang, I have had 2 go
A HP Hose with a bucket load of pressure on it, I have had 1 go bang.

AI
1 Oring
Not had a failure in 500+ dives

If a HP hose blows as I said I have had three go you loose a good deal of air in a real hurry, and may have to share air from your buddy for accent and have to end the dive, maybe in a real hurry this may lead to a world of hurt....

If the AI transmitter or computer fails you just loose the tank information, you don’t actually loose any air (except if that 1 Oring blows), you still end the dive of course but you are still going to have all your Air left to do it with

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...

How do you get that ?

SPG has alot of faliure points
no less than 2 orings to go bang, I have had 2 go
A HP Hose with a bucket load of pressure on it, I have had 1 go bang.

AI
1 Oring
Not had a failure in 500+ dives

If a HP hose blows as I said I have had three go you loose a good deal of air in a real hurry, and may have to share air from your buddy for accent and have to end the dive, maybe in a real hurry this may lead to a world of hurt....

If the AI transmitter or computer fails you just loose the tank information, you don?t actually loose any air (except if that 1 Oring blows), you still end the dive of course but you are still going to have all your Air left to do it with

You make some good points. I was thinking about the kind of failure where you are told erroneous information. In many hundreds of dives I have never had a problem with my spg, other than the occasional small airleak which is easily fixed by replacing the O-ring. However, you are right that there are more O-rings that can go bad.

I still prefer a mechanical gauge, the digital ones just seem less reliable to me in terms of telling me the right info.

There is also some procedural problem with the AI method. In an emergency I unclip my spg and show it to my buddy, and any diver can figure out what is going on. With a digital readout showing several different parameters this is not quite as easy.

Just something to think about.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

You make some good points. I was thinking about the kind of failure where you are told erroneous information. In many hundreds of dives I have never had a problem with my spg, other than the occasional small airleak which is easily fixed by replacing the O-ring. However, you are right that there are more O-rings that can go bad.

I still prefer a mechanical gauge, the digital ones just seem less reliable to me in terms of telling me the right info.
My AI has never told me a lie about the amount of Air in my tanks or how long I have at depth.
I have read twice about people drowning because the SPG lied to them, needles getting stuck or not calibrated, internal corrision and all that jazz.

There is also some procedural problem with the AI method. In an emergency I unclip my spg and show it to my buddy, and any diver can figure out what is going on. With a digital readout showing several different parameters this is not quite as easy.

Just something to think about.
Hmm Can't say I have ever had a problem showing my Air pressure to any buddy, they are actually very easy to read. We usually use hand signals as oppose to flashing gauges about anyway.

Back
Top Bottom