Air-Integrated Computers

Air-Integration:

• A useful and convenient feature. My computer has it OR if I were buying one I would get AI

Votes: 258 69.7%
  • A useful feature, but isn’t worth the $$$

Votes: 57 15.4%
  • A useless gimmick to relieve newbies like Lemonade of their money

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • Tables are diver’s best friends

Votes: 14 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...

My AI has never told me a lie about the amount of Air in my tanks or how long I have at depth.

One person's experience...

SPG's are simple devices, the pressure goes to a bourdon tube and this is attached to a needle.

An AI computer has many many more steps, and at each one there is the potential for something going wrong.

A properly maintained SPG is cheap, reliable, and time tested.

If that's not enough of a reason, analog displays are easier to interpret than digital ones.

When something goes wrong you don't want to waste time with hand signals and figuring out which number is the pressure etc. At least I don't.

However, I do understand the gadget factor....I have lots of gadgets, just not on my dive kit.

If you are new to diving AI is an awesome way to go. It can help you work on your air consumption and it takes some task loading off your hands by figuring out your remaining UW time (both Deco and air). If you can afford to shell out the added cash, more power to you.

If you are experienced you probably already have a good idea of your air usage, under a variety of conditions, and if you have made it this far in the sport you have obviously been diligent about checking your SPG. Maybe not so much value to you other than loosing a hose off of the reg.

Can I please ask one thing though - - TURN OFF ANYTHING THAT MAKES A BEEPING NOISE UNDERWATER!!! Nothing is worse than having newbies with AI's that beep like mad when they dive deep and breath hard or ascend 5 feet too fast or some other stupid thing. My ocean is not a place for your NOISY computer. If you want to make beeping noises feel free to make use of NYC's extensive subway system for your diving requirements.

Learn to look at the display and disable all audible alarms before you do any OW dive with these things. Failing to do so may cause an UW injury by hostile marine life (like me).

If you really need an audible alarm, maybe someone on the board can help you design a relay that will put a 50vdc shock across your ears.

I'm using a Genesis Wisdom. I don't think that an AI computer offers substantially more risk than an SPG if you are using proper procedures in the first place.

If an air integrated computer quits on you, you should still have a very good idea how much air you have left assuming you checked your psi frequently and have a general awareness of your air consumption. In this repsect it's no worse than an SPG failure, and you just abort the dive. The downside of an AI computer failure is that you also lose your computer and deco information. But again with proper contingency planning and a watch, you should not be totally in the dark regarding deco status either.

Personally I use a pair of steel tanks and a set of travel bands on most dives with separate regs. The left tank has the Wisdom on it and the right carries a standard SPG. I do a lot of solo diving as well as deep diving and want the redundancy. (And after years of diving with an aluminim 30 cu ft pony, I figured out the weight penalty with another steel tank was minimal when you consider the lead you can remove from the weightbelt due to the negative bouyancy of the other steel tank - the system weights maybe 10 extra pounds) This system is also very flexible and can accomodate dives within the NDL's or for planned decompression dives with or without a different deco mix all on the same basic configuration where the extra bits and pieces like lights, a reel and a lift bag are always in the same places.

In this situation with proper air management, the impact of the loss of the AI computer is pretty minimal as you have a reserve cylinder complete with SPG to abort the dive in a fairly normal fashion with no stress about whether you have enough air.

The Wisdom also has a great simulator mode that in about 5 minutes will let you plan a worst case scenario for an initial or repetetive dive and record the depths, times, and required deco stops. This information gets magic markered onto a piece of duct tape stuck on the top side of my fin. If worst comes to worse, the deco information is quite literally at my feet.

An air integrated computer is like any other piece of scuba equipment - you just need to consider when or how it could fail and then train and plan accordingly.

And I agree completely with the need to shut off any audible alarms. Every diver in the immediate vicinity will hear them and down where it;s deep and dark, it can cause a little extra task loading and confusion that nobody needs. Fortunately the Wisdom allows you to disable any and all alarm features.

I have an Uwatec Smart Pro/Com Air, whatever, console. works great, but no date and time, have to refer to the aqualand for that, and the stupid lick and touch buttons, I can't stand them.

Panama Jack once bubbled...
I have an Uwatec Smart Pro/Com Air, whatever, console. works great, but no date and time, have to refer to the aqualand for that, and the stupid lick and touch buttons, I can't stand them.
If you keep the connections clean with a tooshbrush you dont have to lick your fingers to activate them.

At times I get a little tired of hearing about all the failure points electronics could have. The most extreme case would probably the space shuttle. It was not electronics that fail (on both disasters). It was mechanical.

Can you imagine landing the space shuttle without electronics? Sure, these experts can do it but why? It is more accurate and easier.

AI computers of worth (you know which ones) have proven over time to be reliabile and extemely accurate. The good part is that they are getting even better.

I too dive with a SPG back up but that is my preference. I also dive on long oversea trips with a non AI computer just in case my AI does malfunction. So far the money for the backup has been wasted.

I like diving with my AI and I have not heard or seen anything anywhere that would sway me from this preference.

Thanks Sydney dive, I will try the tooth brush thing. I like the console, but I have a Suunto and the buttons are alot easier. The tables the Suuntos based on give me too little b-time compared with the Uwatec side by side.

Sydney_Diver: so you just brush over the contacts with a normal (dry?) toothbrush?

I've got a SPG and a UWATEC SMART PRO on my wrist. I feel quite comfortable that way.

If I would have some spare money lying around I wouldn't mind buying an AI computer.

Rot your brain!

I've seen too many people who had to abort their dive 'cause the computer could not give them tank preasure. They had no backup SPG and I laughed as I waved 'bye.

I recently started diving the ultimate dive computer. Does anybody else have one?

Here's an overview of the features list from the user manual:

--I set how conservative or liberal the bottom time is
--Calculates proper ascent rate
--User programable Rock bottom for me and my team
--Nitrox, HE, and mulitple deco gasses
--Air integrated and accurate to 200 psi for myself
--Air integrated from my team and accurate to 400 psi
--Wireless interface to manual brass SPG (used as back up)
--Wireless interface to bottom timer/depth gauge
--Wireless interface to deco bottle spg
--Lifetime Battery warranty (NOT user replaceable)
--Automactically monitors Hydration level, stress, and task loading
--Estimates visibility in water horizantaly and vertically
--H2O activiation
--No Backlight
--Monitors "fun" level of dive and ends dive if boring
--No O-rings to fail
--No quick disconnect
--No beeping
--No Spell check
--Toothbrush is good to have, but not necessary for connections

I took this computer on about 300 dives before I really started using it. It wasn't until one night Aug 11th at 5:30 PM when I was switching tanks for my 6th dive of the day that this computer, that I never really used before, warned I was at my limit for nitrogen for the day. My brand new Areis Atmos Pro said that I still had 1.5 hours of bottom time at 60ft and I continued to dive.

7 hours in a chamber and 200 dives later, the computer on my arm is now set to gauge mode and only advises me of my bottom time and depth.

My new computer handles everything else. It takes 2-3 mintues to program the dive plan, but once it is there, the rest is easy!

Does anyone else use their "ultimate dive computer" when they go dive or do they just trust and obey the one attached to the tank?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom