Air in tank marked Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the thing that Rec Diver doesn't get is that a tank can have a small amount of CO (for example, 1%), in addition to the oxygen, say 32% in our example case.

Breathing a gas that is 1% CO2, even though it is 32% O2, will kill you.

Rec Diver:
Either of the above formulas would be fine to breath.
Your logic fails to recognize that CO poisoning is caused by the CO binding with the hemoglobin in the blood. Once the hemoglobin gets "locked up" by the carbon monoxide, then it's not available to transport O2.

The fraction of a percent of CO needed to kill you is small enough that CO contaminated air still reads about the same as pure air on the O2 analyzer.

Charlie Allen

The Kraken:
Well, 3dent,

There's "corruption" and then there's "corruption"....the K

Thanks, Kraken.

I do know the difference, and was posting in reference to Dearman's post where he specifically mentioned the possibility of the tank being refilled by a clean-but-not-NITROX-clean compressor.

He also mentioned that the refilling station 'shouldn't' refill a NITROX tank if they don't have 'NITROX-clean' air.

That being said, I stand by my opinion that the tank owner is at risk by renting a NITROX tank to someone who hasn't been trained in NITROX procedures.

Charlie99:
Your logic fails to recognize that CO poisoning is caused by the CO binding with the hemoglobin in the blood. Once the hemoglobin gets "locked up" by the carbon monoxide, then it's not available to transport O2.

The fraction of a percent of CO needed to kill you is small enough that CO contaminated air still reads about the same as pure air on the O2 analyzer.

Charlie Allen
Have you actually performed these test? Becuase I have.

Rec Diver:
Have you actually performed these test? Becuase I have.
Performed what test?? What are you talking about??

pants!:
Breathing a gas that is 1% CO2, even though it is 32% O2, will kill you.

You breath that much in the air you breath on a daily basis, it is called pollution. If you don't beleve me call your heating contractor to measure the amount of CO in your home right this second. You have a big surprise on the way if you do.

3dent:
Boom.

BTW, I'm not 'nitrox certified,' so please correct me if I missed something...

You're rather exagerating that BOOM thing. It ain't exactly like you're pouring nitroglycerin into your bottle. You really have to do something stupid to blow it up or, more likely, burn it down. The compresser that puts enough oil into a bottle to comprimise it is one you don't want to be filling from. There's no real reason for a shop to be PP blending Rec nitrox anyway.

pants!:
Performed what test?? What are you talking about??
Tested the level of CO and O2 in the air. You can measure these levels, or did you not know that?

Rec Diver:
You breath that much in the air you breath on a daily basis, it is called pollution. If you don't beleve me call your heating contractor to measure the amount of CO in your home right this second. You have a big surprise on the way if you do.
You are completely 100% wrong about this. 1% CO is LETHAL. No one breathes this on a regular basis, I assure you.

If you don't believe me, go to http://www.nutramed.com/environment/monoxide.htm

http://www.bacharach-training.com/cozone/costandardsandguidelines1.htm

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/466.html

200 ppm, the value commonly listed as potentially lethal, is 0.02%. 1% would be 10,000 ppm!!

lamont:
so, oxygen never goes solo?

Not in real world conditions - at least not if it has any other choice and not for very long.
It can go ménage à trois and be O3 however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom