Air in tank marked Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually a tank filled with carbon monoxide would have equal numbers of oxygen and carbon atoms.

All the O2 means is that the oxygen atom cannot stand alone as a molecule and thus must be bonded to another oxygen atom to stand alone.

in_cavediver:
Here's the real solution. Get everyone certified in Nitrox at the OW level and make it very easy for already certified divers to get nitrox trained. There just isn't much to it.
End of problem.

I for one think the big honkin nitrox stickers are for the birds. They convey no useful information other than "hey look, my tank is special". I don't have them on any of my tanks anymore. Simply VIP stickers with 02 service information. I use Duck tape/Masking tape for the contents and blending information and large MOD stickers on the sides of my singles.

Don't see the first part happening Any time soon - not as long as a shop gets >$100 for a basicly bogus class. A mention of nitrox and an explanation of what may happen if you take a bottle that is not yours is about all you can reasonably ask.

I'm in favor of a valve seal that marks the contents as EAN ( or Even just NOT AIR ). A little like the consumer protection wrapper you find on everything these days. If you have to remove a seal to put your reg on a tank, you are pretty much acknowloging you knew what you were doing.

I don't like masking tape it is too easily damage by water, I prefer Duct tape, Green if I can get it, it'll still be there after the dive to remind you there is Not Air in that bottle when you go for a refill!

Oh, BTW it's "duct" tape not 'duck' because the original use was in sealing ventilation duct work. That's why it originaly onlycame in gray - to match the galvanized sheat metal ducts.

Damselfish:
And when you are diving Nitrox, if there's a bunch of tanks waiting on a dock or preloaded on a boat it's useful to quickly spot what is supposed to be Nitrox. Of course you still have to analyze it, but a quick glance to see something obvious is easier than seaching for something small. I've also seen ops do bright green tanks or caps in addition to or instead of labels. When I get on a boat and am deciding what spot or tanks to go for, looking for a big bright green thing is sure as heck easier than hunting around a busy boat reading bits of masking tape.

I'll give you the stickers are a means to segregate tanks. Given that and your above comments regarding other methods of identifying nitrox tanks, it just re-enforces my arguement that stickers are not the end-all be all that others have said.

Teach everyone to know what they are breathing and then do what is convienent for segragating tanks, be it stickers, valve caps, bands or whatnot.

pants!:
I'm pretty sure no one on earth will give you a CO fill, no matter how much you ask for it.

I believe on this board last week there was a thread that stated 2 divers died from a CO filled air tank. They don't have to give it to you. It can be caused accidentally by a faulty fossil fuel driven air compressor.

Your tank of 32 can have lethal levels of CO and you would never know if you use an oxygen analyzer. You need a CO analyzer.

Are you a "MORON"? Having a tank of carbon monoxide would mean you don't have any oxygen. This would mean that the analyzer would read O% O2. The minimum O2 requirement for you to live is, I think, 14%. GOT THE PICTURE KNOW?

You're obviously missing something. O2 and CO are totally different molecules, despite both having oxygen atoms in their makeup. A tank with 2% CO2, 32% O2, and 66% N2 will analyze identically as a tank with 32% O2 and 68% N2.

They are 2 different molecules that is why it will register no O2 in the tank. CO2 by the way is carbin dioxide, a different molucule than O2 and CO.

One of those tanks will kill you, one will not.

Either of the above formulas would be fine to breath. A muxture of 32% Oxygen is very safe. Mixtures of oxygen below 14%, again I think this is correct, is unsafe.

You really have never done any scuba diving have you? Nor are you a certified diver? I think that when you get to high school you should ask your chemistry teacher how formulas, percentage of molecules, and test instruments work. I believe you are going to have a surprise awakening.

CIBDiving:
Oh, BTW it's "duct" tape not 'duck' because the original use was in sealing ventilation duct work. That's why it originaly onlycame in gray - to match the galvanized sheat metal ducts.

Mine is Duck brand Vinyl tape. Yellow to be specific.

Dearman:
//snip//Second because the diver won't know to have the tank refilled at a clean source. One may not be available where he's headed. The refilling station should say no but that means no refill and no more dives. Great way to inconvience a customer.

There's the jewel I see in this thread.

However, I think the shop is running a huge risk, and inconveniencing the diver is not an issue.

WRT refilling with 'dirty' air, the non-nitrox diver is 1) not going to know about clean v. unclean air, and even if he does, 2) not going to care. After all, he's not at risk and it's not his tank getting corrupted.

How can the shop give the tank to a non-nitrox diver and expect him to know to keep it O2 clean?

The dive shop, when it gets the tank back, should recognize the possibility that the tank has been corrupted, and have it re-cleaned before dumping O2 in it. I'm guessing they ain't doing that.

Boom.

BTW, I'm not 'nitrox certified,' so please correct me if I missed something...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom