ah, nothing like stealing high explosives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnakeRiverPirate:
How would you get it out of the U Boat? It would seem that it would take torching off 2 sets of doors and finagling it out the firing port. I don't even know what it would take to get it out the loading port on a sub.

They stored extra torpedoes in craddles outside the pressure hull but inside the outer hydrodynamic hull. In the example I offered, the torpedo was clearly visible on the outside of the wreck. Still a significant recovery, as I believe those fish weighed quite a bit.

To me the possibility of such a major recovery taking place on a frequently dived wreck with no one being the wiser strikes me as improbable. If yo could pull it off all of the other dangers mentioned above still apply.

Mr. Bubble:
I think its a hoax. I dove that wreck this summer. They have daily dives on that wreck. An opperation like that would be extensive. The sub is encrusted, it would take extensive dives just to get something that large dislodged, not to mention surfaced, undetected. ANd at 110fsw, you would have to be in serious deco......

Survey says..............................BS

No offense, but 110 is not deep, and depending on your mix deco obligation is no biggie, even on air no big deal..this of course is relative...

No, I agree 110 is not deep. But to pull off a stunt like that, it would take several hours of dive time. So, you would be into multiple deco dives, thus extending your public exposure. It could have been done under the cloak of evening when all the tourist boats were back at the docks.....I'm not saying it can't be done. It would just take a lot of skill, time and luck.

And dude, I had no idea there were three! I'll be back!

Thanks!

Maybe they just wanted a bigger scooter than their buddies? ... :wink:

Gawd, I hope that thing is not in someones neighborhood ... pretty dumb if they did do this

After being enlightened by AUE-Mike, and doing a thorough web search (which was really fun to read, if your interested, lots of cool info and pics) I recant the impossiblities and would suspect U-701 as a possible target for looting. Follow the link, then scroll down to the bottom of the page. A simple dive to this sub to compare photos will confirm, or deny......

http://www.nc-wreckdiving.com/WRECKS/U701/U701.HTML

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom