I bought the reg from a LDS- like I'm sposed to!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the regulator set up: the breathability was probably more a reflection of the second stage adjustment than an IP of 125 vs 135. But, there really isn't any excuse for being that far off the target IP setting if they set the regulator up right before delivery, at least with Aqualung products. There are a few brands that seem to have some issues with stability of IP, but even then, it appears that the set up was just sloppy - or, your measurement was off. I can't fault them for setting the cracking pressure where they did. But, I can fault them for not asking if you had a preference based on prior experience, and I really prefer myself to have a customer test breath a reg whenever possible, particularly if they don't have exhibit a lot of familiarity / experience with cracking pressure numbers.

They tend to "settle" over time and the IP drops a tad. I usually notice it drop about 3-6 psi. This is why I try to cycle regulators about 100 times before I set the final IP and take it off the bench. Also, I do the 1st stage first so that way, it gets cycled a bunch while I'm tuning the 2nd stage.

More than likely, it left the factory in spec, then settled out as it sat in the box with the springs causing indents in the diaphragm & seat.

I believe such actions may be cause for banning from DIY forum. Why would anyone set an adjustable 2nd cracking pressure so high?

2nd stage cracking pressure spec is .8 to 1.4 according to: http://www.diverclub.ru/File/legendsecond.pdf

1st stage manual: http://www.diverclub.ru/File/legendfirst.pdf

Welp, it's official, my memory is trash. This is why I have the books laying around at the service bench.

I blame all the Conshelfs I've done in the past 3 weeks!

while I know nothing about the shop you went to, I'm gonna guess that you dealt with salespeople, not experts. It's a common case in retail stores. Usually the cheapest labor is the ones you get to deal with

reefrat:
As far as the set up- I seriously doubt that ANYTHING was actually checked (the first guy I spoke to didn't even know what the IP should be!), all the first and second stages were separated under the counter and I think any two were simply screwed together, pressured and maybe the purge button pushed to see if it worked. Regulators, especially balanced second stages, are quite tolerant of IP differences and not being correctly adjusted is probably not a safety issue generally, so why worry about it?
Hmm. I got a somewhat different impression from your first post, but possibly I misread it. I agree, second stages are relatively tolerant of modest IP differences (e.g. 125 vs 135). But, from a shop perspective, this has nothing to do with a safety issue. I just cannot imagine a shop selling a new reg to a customer, and NOT checking the IP, and NOT checking the cracking pressure, before delivery. Frankly, the reg should be put on a bottle, and stuck in a water bath to check for leaks, but that leaves a wet reg being handed to a customer if it is being delivered right then. In any event, if the shop did as slack a job as you suspect, that also has nothing to do with being an 'authorized dealer' or not. It has more to do with being a slack individual business operation.
reefrat:
At least if you buy a reg from Leisurepro it comes complete and assembled in the box from the factory, the last person to set it up as a working unit was the factory technician and it is probably tuned quite well.
That's true. But, consider your description of your experience: IF the shop did not do anything with the IP, then the reg came from the manufacturer (and that very same factory technician) with a low IP (or it 'settled' over time). Either way, the same would have happened if it came through LP (or any other online vendor) instead of coming through a LDS. I have never thought about doing a study of 'out of the box' cracking pressures (although this thread is now stimulating that interest). But, manufacturers work on the basis of specs. And, if there is going to be any variance within a spec range, I suspect it will be more toward a higher cracking pressure than a lower one - which is what you experienced.
reefrat:
In addition, if you don't like it send it back! L/Pro will give a full refund without question.
They certainly will. For me, I would rather drive to the 'offending' local shop and see what I could 'encourage' them to do for me, then and there, than go to the trouble to box up a reg, go to UPS or the post office, and send it back. But, that is just me.
reefrat:
Maybe I should just say I wasn't happy with it, ask for a refund and see what happens, no happy refund I'll bet!
I guess that is possible, but how you can conclude that before trying, given that your experience was (apparently) your first, and only, encounter with the shop in question. I think it would be more fun to go back and 'jawbone' them. If they are a poor business operation, you may not get much, other than having them put the reg on the bench and setting the pressures correctly. But, if they are a decent operation, you should get that and some perks. In any event, the fun would be in trying.
reefrat:
I . . . will definitely not be returning to this store to have the reg serviced, which raises the next interesting problem. I will take the reg to the "other" local Aqualung dealer for a service next year and he will not be very interested because I didn't buy it from him
Wow, maybe Houston is in a different universe. I don't see that lack of interest as a logical outcome. If you were to buy a regulator from a shop competitor in our area, and bring it to us for service (whether you mentioned dissatisfaction with the first shop, or not), we would make every effort to make sure you were pleased with OUR service - you represent a potential new customer.
reefrat:
at this point I am having a difficult time seeing the advantage of buying authorized LDS over a reputable on-line source!
Certainly, you are free to make your own decisions, and spend your money as you choose. I am not sure I would jump to the conclusion you appear to be reaching on the basis of this one experience, but that is your privilege. You have conducted an N-of-1 clinical trial, and I am not sure I could confidently draw conclusions, other than the particular shop you went to seems to have some issues. And, I am not trying to subtly knock LP. I have bought gear from them and been satisfied with the experience.
They tend to "settle" over time and the IP drops a tad. I usually notice it drop about 3-6 psi. This is why I try to cycle regulators about 100 times before I set the final IP and take it off the bench. Also, I do the 1st stage first so that way, it gets cycled a bunch while I'm tuning the 2nd stage.
I agree, there will be an element of settling, although it subjectively doesn't seem to be as pronounced as it once was. I don't consistently try for 100 cycles, simply because of time. By the time I finish with the set up (or re-assembly after service), I probably have 25-30 cycles on each reg I send out. And, I have done an informal experiment with my own regs - set the IP with 30 cycles, take them home, and test them 24 hours later. If I get a 5 psi drop it is unusual. I also set for 140 as a general practice.
More than likely, it left the factory in spec, then settled out as it sat in the box with the springs causing indents in the diaphragm & seat.
And, in the OP's case the reason there is no excuse is that the shop supposedly did a final adjustment of the 'just out of the box' reg for him, right before handing it to him.

Last edited:
I also set for 140 as a general practice. And, in the OP's case the reason there is no excuse is that the shop supposedly did a final adjustment of the 'just out of the box' reg for him, right before handing it to him.

Typically I do the same!

I could understand why if they didn't...it's kinda a PITA to adjust the IP on the Legend. If the salesman wasn't a tech, he might have been overwhelmed by the task.

There was a thread a while back where cracking pressure was discussed. From memory, the consensus was that techs usually set the cracking pressure a bit high so the reg does not free flow easily. For example if a newbie (or even a not so newbie) diver hits the purge on a regulator out of the water and it free flows uncontrollably, he is likely to think there is some problem with the regulator, when in fact it is normal for some regulators to do this.

If you can do it yourself why trust someone else - I certainly don't?

I agree, I can and will do it myself, or learn to do it myself. I won't and don't trust anyone else with my gear. Nobody has my back like me. I take my new regs and dive them in the pool 2-3 times. Then adjust the IP to 140. Then start with the cracking pressure so it's just a tick under free flow. I can can always adjust it down in the water. After every service, which I do myself, meticulously, I start over, and would never take it out to the real world without this process. I service my friends as well. And would never give them back something I wouldn't be confident diving, as my life may be in their hands and their regs.

Back
Top Bottom